98795 104 2015-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
giufini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 399039 ft
Italy

spheasant1 Posted at 2015-8-10 06:04
For everyone's information...here is a link to ebay that looks just like Giuseppe's except you can e ...

That's right, the design is just the same... but the cost is much higher!  ;-)
2015-8-10
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rather than print mine with all the supports, I printed it vertically except for the top (which would be a huge overhang.  I then aborted the print, and then started the print job again, except with the model turned upside down.  Then I printed just the "top" which is now at the bottom.  I will glue the two pieces together with Instamorph or something.  Good job on the model, Giufini.  It looks great!
2015-8-10
Use props
fghk
New

Hong Kong

Video that shows how to test the shape of my antenna boosters with a laser to make sure the accuracy of parabolic curve. No matter where the beam hit, it would reflect to the antenna.

2015-8-10
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

bobasbury Posted at 2015-8-10 19:17
Rather than print mine with all the supports, I printed it vertically except for the top (which woul ...

Hi bobasbury, thank you.

I know what you mean, printing with support enabled produces a lot of wasted filament, but in my opinion it offers the most durable and robust result.
Anyway your idea is really good, also I was thinking to offer more STL files on Thingiverse.com  to allow such a solution.

Your suggestions are really appreciated!  ;-)
2015-8-10
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

giufini Posted at 2015-8-9 15:28
Hi, I use a ZORTRAX M200 3D Printer with high-quality Z-ABS filaments.
This 3D printer is one of th ...

Hi Giufini, are you selling complete job with aluminum foil in place??
and what is postage to UK.

Regards
Mike.
2015-8-10
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-8-11 05:14
Hi Giufini, are you selling complete job with aluminum foil in place??
and what is postage to UK.

Hi Grimtheviking,

I confirm that the "Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster" is ready to use out of the box, in fact it is already provided with a "seamless" adhesive coating of high quality aluminum.

The shipment of the Range Booster to all European Countries costs only €8,50 and the package usually arrives within 2-3 working days with Priority Mail (Standard Postal Service without tracking number). More shipping methods are available on user request, including International Express Courier with tracking number.

So the total cost is €27,50 (€19,00 + €8,50) that you can pay to my PayPal ID "giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com" to confirm the order.

IMG_3501r.jpg

The Range Booster is ready for the shipment usually within 1-2 days from the payment.
If you are interested, please provide me your postal address and I will process your order as soon as possible.

Best regards.
Giuseppe

2015-8-10
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here's mine.  Not as pretty as yours, but it seemed to make more sense to me to print it vertically.  I am also going to print one your way, Giufini, with the supports.  Like I said, I turned the model upside down, printed just the top, inverted the model back to upright, and printed all but the top (which would have an impossible overhang).  I glued the top on with superglue, but as you can imagine, it is a tough gluing job.  A two-part model with a groove in the top for gluing would be cool.  Oooh!  Even better would be some holes in the top of the main unit and some "pegs" in the top.  Anyway, my extruder head is fubarred right now, so as soon as my replacement comes, I am going to try your face-down design.

I attached the tin foil with glue stick.  It's more secure than I expected.

DJIBooster.JPG
2015-8-11
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

To all the people who are asking "Do all the DIY antenna boosters work the same?", I wish to answer just saying "Basically YES".In fact, the antenna boosters reflect the electromagnetic waves received and transmitted by a remote controller just like the one used by DJI drones Phantom 3 and Inspire 1.

Anyway, some boosters are not optimized to work at the best of their possibilities, in fact the only way to maximize the gain is to reflect and concentrate the waves just along the axes of the antennas. This requires a very accurate design of the booster with a precise shape and an appropiate distance between the reflectors and the antennas.

Another fact that can make the difference is the quality of the aluminium, better if it consists of a single seamless foil and if it has a good thickness.

I have published on Thingiverse.com a "ready to be printed" 3D model of an antenna booster for the last generation of DJI drones:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565

Anyway, for everyone who don't have a 3D printer, I can sell them a printed and well hand-finished Range Booster ready to use out of the box with an HQ aluminum coating already applied on it (19,00 € + shipping fees).

Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster by Giufini

Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster by Giufini

If you need more information, you can contact me at giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com.

Happy flying!

2015-8-13
Use props
louis.lowveldlu
lvl.2

South Africa

giufini Posted at 2015-8-9 15:28
Hi, I use a ZORTRAX M200 3D Printer with high-quality Z-ABS filaments.
This 3D printer is one of th ...

I would like to get a Q from you. My mail address: louis@lowveldlumber .com.
Regards
2015-8-13
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

giufini Posted at 2015-8-11 14:57
Hi Grimtheviking,

I confirm that the "Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster" is ready to use out of  ...

Address and Money transferred,

Thanks and Regards
Mike.
2015-8-14
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-8-15 05:04
Address and Money transferred,

Thanks and Regards

Hello Mike, your P3 Range Booster is ready for the shipment and this afternoon I am going to ship it.

Enjoy your flights with Phantom 3!
2015-8-17
Use props
marcic.chris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1236985 ft
United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-14 00:16
To all the people who are asking "Do all the DIY antenna boosters work the same?", I wish to answer  ...

Is this in MM or CM?
2015-8-17
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Hi chris, could you explain me what do you mean with "MM or CM"?
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Great product and I bought one.  I probably won't set any distant records with the booster but it will be useful.  It would be great if the DJI3 could calculate and show, timely and actual, winds aloft but for right now you just have to use a best guess.  You might have 55% battery left when you start your return to home but as the winds change it might cause you to land prior to your home point.  According to what i read, "advanced algorithms calculate the distance of your aircraft and estimated time to return home."  The key word is "estimated"  time to return home.  In a different life I was bullet-proof but not anymore so I always add a little extra to the estimated/minimum numbers.  Have fun flying.  
2015-8-18
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Hi guys,
there are great news for all those who wish to experience extreme performances with my "Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster".
In fact, by popular demand, it is now available a new type of parabolic reflector that is provided with a seamless High Quality COPPER foil !

A single Range Booster with Copper Layer costs 23,00 EUR + shipping fees but if you buy multiple items I could apply a special discount.
If you wish to order it, please let me know how many pieces you need and your postal address and I will calculate the shipment fees.
You can pay to my Paypal ID "giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com". Every Range Booster is usually ready for the shipment within 1-2 working days from the payment.

Moreover, you can also customize your Range Booster choosing one of the following colors: White, Black, Blue, Green, Red or Yellow.
So, let me know what color you like and I'll be happy to customize your Booster.

Best regards.

Range Booster Extreme Edition

Range Booster Extreme Edition
2015-8-18
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-10 18:35
That's right, the design is just the same... but the cost is much higher!  ;-)

Agreed :-)
2015-8-18
Use props
marcic.chris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1236985 ft
United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-18 15:41
Hi chris, could you explain me what do you mean with "MM or CM"?

i was looking to have this printed locally.  The printer was asking if it was in millimeters or centimeters.  I was able to figure it out by measuring the remote to learn it was build in centimeters.  

Thanks so much
2015-8-19
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

marcic.chris Posted at 2015-8-19 22:30
i was looking to have this printed locally.  The printer was asking if it was in millimeters or ce ...

Ooppsss! It was so easy to understand MM or CM...
There are so many acronyms in use that sometimes we find it hard to recognize the simplest!

Anyway, you are right, dimensions are misured in CM.
2015-8-19
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

marcic.chris Posted at 2015-8-19 22:30
i was looking to have this printed locally.  The printer was asking if it was in millimeters or ce ...

Hi marcic.chris,

I wish to inform you that few days ago I have updated the STL file of my Range Booster on Thingiverse.com. The new model has thicker parts with the holes to make the Booster more robust.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565
2015-8-21
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-8 07:08
Not really.
With copper being twice as conductive as aluminum and 6 times more conductive than stee ...

Hi 020667, I have spent a long weekend of tests with my Phantom 3 comparing the performances of both my Range Boosters, the one with the Aluminium foil and the one with the Copper foil.
As I expected, I have obtained very good results with the Range Booster provided with the aluminium foil: the Phantom 3 reached long distances up to 4 kilometers and more. Anyway I have to admit that using the booster covered with Copper foil I have obtained even better results: longer distances (up to 5,5 km and more) and stronger signal (always full scale) even in the areas where there were sparse trees and medium size obstacles in the line of sight between me and the Phantom.

Even if at first I was a bit skeptical, I have to admit that there are evident benefits using the parabolic reflectors with the Copper foil ;-)

Range Booster Aluminium.jpg
Range Booster Copper.jpg
For everybody who need more info about costs and shipment fees, please contact me to "giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com".

2015-8-25
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-25 16:31
Hi 020667, I have spent a long weekend of tests with my Phantom 3 comparing the performances of bot ...

Has anyone compared copper windsurfer with aluminum?
2015-8-25
Use props
flyingspanjard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 631463 ft
Spain

Hi guys. I´ve bee reading on different posts about range boosters/ windusrfers on the importance of keeping them pointed straight towards the copter or else the signal will go from 100% to 0%. Has anybody had issues with boosters and sudden signal loss at long distances? thx.
2015-8-29
Use props
littlejohn
lvl.1

Italy

I have them and they improved my range quite much i still did not tested at their full but i am quite satisfied...here is a vid

2015-9-1
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I ordered mine from Windsurfer, but still haven't received it...
2015-9-1
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just flew 4600 feet today out and 4600 feet back with nothing but the standard antennas. Video perfect the whole way, and I even stopped for 8 stills which were sharp and crisp. Max height was 393 feet and no wind. Even the battery had 5 minutes left when I landed the bird. For myself, that distance is far enough, particularly because it was over water. During most of the trip the quad was out of sight, so I knew how nervous one can get when the bird is beyond our vision. I wouldn't add these reflectors to my machine. I can't see any reason to fly farther than I did today.
2015-9-1
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

spheasant1 Posted at 2015-8-10 01:04
For everyone's information...here is a link to ebay that looks just like Giuseppe's except you can e ...

copied this guys model out of a plastic bucket, and IT WORKS, works good to.............
2015-9-1
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-2 12:44
copied this guys model out of a plastic bucket, and IT WORKS, works good to.............

Great, inexpensive idea!
2015-9-2
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Hi guys, I have written a document containing few instructions about the use of my Range Boosters.
I invite all the people who have already bought a Range Booster (Aluminium or Copper foil version) to download a copy of this document and read carefully its content.
Instructions.pdf (269.6 KB, Down times: 130)
2015-9-8
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I got the original WindSurfer (one piece, not two separate pieces) and it does increase the range quite a bit...I was losing video signal at about 1500 feet or less, with the WindSurfer I got it out to almost 8000 feet!!!  Part of the problem, I figured out later, was the DJI Go App...I have to "factory reset" my Galaxy Tab4A every four or five flights or it gets all "choppy" and loses signal.
2015-9-8
Use props
gibbywmu
New

United States

Hi Everyone,

Is there a modification that will work for the P3S? I know, I should have purchased the P3A or the P3P, but I did not do enough research prior and reliazed the range was not as far.  I should have dropped the extra $300 to buy the P3A, but whats done is done I guess!  Every modfication I've seen in the forums is for the P3A or P3P controller.

I would assume one would just have to modify the template for the P3S antennae, which I understand the controller is just slightly upgraded and is very similar to the P2V+ correct?  Or is there a stronger wifi booster on the bird itself for the P3A and P3P's?

2015-9-21
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Italy

Hi guys, I have good news for everyone who owns a DJI Phantom drone and a 3D printer:
now you can print by yourself your Antenna Booster for the Remote Controller since I have published on Thingiverse.com the 3D models of new parabolic reflectors for your Phantom drone:

DJI Phantom 3 Adv/Pro or Inspire 1:   http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565
DJI Phantom 3 Std or Phantom 2:   http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1096728

For the DJI Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced:
The cost of the booster with aluminium layer is € 19,00 EUR [$ 21,80 USD] + shipping.
The cost of the booster with copper layer is € 22,00 EUR [$ 25,20 USD] + shipping.

For the DJI Phantom 3 Standard:
The cost of the booster with aluminium layer is € 11,00 EUR [$ 12,80 USD] + shipping.
The cost of the booster with copper layer is € 13,00 EUR [$ 14,90 USD] + shipping.

Shipping fees (with Priority Mail of Standard Postal Service):
To Italy: € 6,00 EUR (usually delivered within 2-3 business days)
To Europe: € 9,00 EUR (usually delivered within 3-6 business days)
To Rest of the World: € 12,00 EUR [$ 13,90 USD] (usually delivered within 8-15 business days)

If you wish to place an order, you can pay the total costs (antenna booster + shipping fees) to my PayPal ID "giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com".
Then, send me an email to "giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com" to confirm the order and to specify your mailing address.
The order is processed within 1 business day and the package is shipped within 1-2 business days from the payment.
2015-10-29
Use props
smithy_mitch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 667073 ft
Australia

Tried this with coke cans. Cut the bottom and top off and then in half. Glued some rubber to it and cut a hole to fit over the antenna. Range went from about 1800m to about 3200m and that test was on a very overcast/stormy day...
2015-12-13
Use props
strap1972
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108373 ft
Belgium

flyingspanjard Posted at 2015-8-30 01:13
Hi guys. I´ve bee reading on different posts about range boosters/ windusrfers on the importance of ...

Were you able to find more info about this? Is this true?
2016-1-20
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

flyingspanjard Posted at 2015-8-29 19:13
Hi guys. I´ve bee reading on different posts about range boosters/ windusrfers on the importance of ...

yes i have had it happen a few times but with a sweep right to left you can pick up signal again
2016-1-20
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

The ones I bought. Solid aluminum, clean, case included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/31152081 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2016-1-20
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-1-20 20:28
The ones I bought. Solid aluminum, clean, case included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311520810444?_trks ...

I have a 3D printer and printed my own and it works great, but this aluminum model looks really sexy, so I just ordered my own.
2016-1-20
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Would adding these boosters on your antennae cause a problem when calibrating your compass since you're suppose to stay away from anything that is metallic when calibrating? My guess would be too not have them(boosters) installed while calibrating.
2016-1-20
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-20 20:13
yes i have had it happen a few times but with a sweep right to left you can pick up signal again

Even though range is OPTIMIZED when you are pointed straight toward your Phantom, I think that you'll find that even normal, natural use of the remote is improved with one of these.
2016-1-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

spheasant1 Posted at 2015-8-9 16:04

Just make sure that when you are getting closer to home that you remove these because they are not intended for short distance flights.Theyslip on and off in a snap. When I am doing a distance flight I take off WITHOUT the windsurfer and then attach it when I get about 1000 feet away. And then I Reversed the procedure.  Trust me you will lose signal sometimes if you don't do this. You won't lose it all but it will become somewhat diminished. Go ahead and test my theory if you don't believe me.  

Also if making your own with foil reflector make it as smooth as possible. Any wrinkles will diminish the efficacy.

Cheers Donnie
2016-1-20
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-1-20 08:39
Even though range is OPTIMIZED when you are pointed straight toward your Phantom, I think that you ...

I agree I have a guy who is making one out of Aluminum and one out of thin stainless steel.  I will try both.
2016-1-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules