Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ocean Impossible
1170 28 2021-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SharkWatch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3740089 ft
United States

Dark Ocean + Surfer in Black Wetsuit + Super White Wave Churn = Ocean Impossible.

Any attempts to lighten the footage blows out the whites when waves crash. To keep the white wave churn from blowing out, the video gets too dark.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it - tell me how to make this look better either in filming or in post.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

2021-2-13
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
First Officer
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

Very good you and especially those who are at sea on the surf. The video shooting is very beautiful and gives an idea of movement and speed
2021-2-13
Use props
Akirasho
Captain
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

2021-2-13
Use props
MisterFrag
First Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Are you familiar with curves? You can adjust highlights, midtones and shadows separately. What softwar do you use to edit?
2021-2-13
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 2-13 18:00
Are you familiar with curves? You can adjust highlights, midtones and shadows separately. What softwar do you use to edit?

Using Final Cut. Ive tried using curves but will try again.

Thanks
2021-2-13
Use props
DJWacko
First Officer
Flight distance : 126729 ft
Australia

Hi there, great work filming .As a surfer myself I love the ocean and what it provides. Not sure on how to fix your issues concerning the brightness as I’m only learning ,however I follow a professional drone and videographer on you tube. His channel is. Drone Film Guide...  I'm sure if you gave him the question he may be able to help you as he is very knowledgeable and doesn't mind helping out. Good luck ..
2021-2-13
Use props
virtual
Captain
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Cool video!
2021-2-14
Use props
JimDandy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

That is very well made.  I loved it
2021-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very impressive footage.  
2021-2-14
Use props
RobZilla
Captain
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried ND polarized filters? DJI has their own as well as Pgytech and Freewell.  Might have to start out with the lower number filters like 8 and when it's sunny out move up to  32 or 64. Plenty of YT video on how dramatic a difference it makes.
2021-2-14
Use props
KDP +
Captain
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Netherlands

Great footage !  
I only think there is a small mistake at the intro, referring to the date of 09 dec 2021... Making it a movie from the future

But nice work !
2021-2-14
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

DJWacko Posted at 2-13 21:50
Hi there, great work filming .As a surfer myself I love the ocean and what it provides. Not sure on how to fix your issues concerning the brightness as I’m only learning ,however I follow a professional drone and videographer on you tube. His channel is. Drone Film Guide...  I'm sure if you gave him the question he may be able to help you as he is very knowledgeable and doesn't mind helping out. Good luck ..

I'll give it a try - thanks
2021-2-14
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

KDP + Posted at 2-14 08:40
Great footage !  
I only think there is a small mistake at the intro, referring to the date of 09 dec 2021... Making it a movie from the future

Duh - what a moron. I used titles from a Dec video and forgot to change the month.

Thanks!
2021-2-14
Use props
Cients
First Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
United States

The video is in the future? Anyway, fantastic!
Try to apply a median filter.

2021-2-14
Use props
MisterFrag
First Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 2-14 06:35
Have you tried ND polarized filters? DJI has their own as well as Pgytech and Freewell.  Might have to start out with the lower number filters like 8 and when it's sunny out move up to  32 or 64. Plenty of YT video on how dramatic a difference it makes.

A ND filter won't help, it will uniformly reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor. He will need to increase the ISO value or use a slower shutter speed to maintain the same brightness as without the ND filter, but the problem of the extreme contrast between shadows and highlights will remain.

When no RAW recording format is available, once the luminance levels clip, information is lost and can't be recovered. In situations like this, I would use manual image controls in combination with zebras or a histogram to monitor clipping. Make the image as bright as possible without blowing out the highlights, and then lift the mid-tones in your video editor as needed. I would probably leave the shadows alone since these would most likely just be the black wetsuits, and there is no point in making them look gray.
2021-2-14
Use props
MisterFrag
First Officer
United States

John, I took the liberty of downloading your video and playing with it a little bit in the video editor of my choice (Edius X). I adjusted the Y (luminance) curve and put the original version and the adjusted version side-by-side. I uploaded the results to Youtube as an unlisted video, so only people who view this thread would see it. I'll be happy to take the video down if you would like.

The left side is the original video, the right side the one with the luminance curve adjustment. While the highlights probably clipped in some places, there is still detail in the highlights that can be extracted. That's pretty apparent in the footage around one minute into the video.
2021-2-14
Use props
RedSky119
Second Officer
Canada

Awesome video!  Really enjoyed it, thank you.
2021-2-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SharkWatch. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video you have filmed and created. Great work and keep on flying. .
2021-2-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful video!
2021-2-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

To my eyes it is still under exposed (might be the look you are after), so you could add some brightness before blowing out.
However, my suspicion is that you like this look and in that case you want to try adding some contrast to get the whites more white and keep the dark where they are.
2021-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2021-2-15
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

KDP + Posted at 2-14 08:40
Great footage !  
I only think there is a small mistake at the intro, referring to the date of 09 dec 2021... Making it a movie from the future

I forgot to mention that I built a time machine. Which was easier than learning photography, video editing, flying a drone and Final Cut.

Thanks - I'll fix the date.
2021-2-15
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 2-14 11:43
John, I took the liberty of downloading your video and playing with it a little bit in the video editor of my choice (Edius X). I adjusted the Y (luminance) curve and put the original version and the adjusted version side-by-side. I uploaded the results to Youtube as an unlisted video, so only people who view this thread would see it. I'll be happy to take the video down if you would like.

https://youtu.be/NelvDZr82xM

Wow - this is super helpful, thanks.

I went back to the drawing board and adjusted the Luma curve to keep the whites from exploding. Works much better now.

Thanks again.
2021-2-15
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2-14 23:48
To my eyes it is still under exposed (might be the look you are after), so you could add some brightness before blowing out.
However, my suspicion is that you like this look and in that case you want to try adding some contrast to get the whites more white and keep the dark where they are.

I agree its underexposed. But increasing exposure for the ocean and surfer meant the whites of the wave crash would be totally blown out. I tried using the color curves in Final Cut and that seems to have helped.

Thanks
2021-2-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SharkWatch Posted at 2-15 09:14
I agree its underexposed. But increasing exposure for the ocean and surfer meant the whites of the wave crash would be totally blown out. I tried using the color curves in Final Cut and that seems to have helped.

Thanks

Exactly.
That is (sort of) adding contrast (depending on the curve of course)
2021-2-15
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Great Video ,congrats
2021-2-15
Use props
MisterFrag
First Officer
United States

SharkWatch Posted at 2-15 09:14

Thanks

I don’t use Final Cut and can’t give you specific steps on how to do this in that program, but most video editing software will let you select parts of the image based on chrominance. This would let you select just the green and blue hues of the ocean and then adjust their brightness without affecting the rest of the image.
2021-2-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice video
2021-2-15
Use props
SharkWatch
lvl.3
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 2-15 17:59
I don’t use Final Cut and can’t give you specific steps on how to do this in that program, but most video editing software will let you select parts of the image based on chrominance. This would let you select just the green and blue hues of the ocean and then adjust their brightness without affecting the rest of the image.

I"ll give it a try - thanks.
2021-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules