2685 5 2021-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3d7e7463
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1339793 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased a charging display base for my mini 2 and I find the instruction very lacking.  The diagram implies a three position switch "Off", "LED Light", "LED Light and charging." Yet, it seems it has only a two position switch "Off" and "LED/charging."  If this is the case does it mean that the battery is always under charge when the LED light is on?  Will this constant charge damage the battery if left on for weeks?  With my mini and the original charging base/dome, I would remove the battery from the drone so I could display the drone with the LED on but not have the battery under constant charge.  With my new mavic Mini 2 should I also remove the battery so I can display the drone with the LED lights only?
2021-2-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

cant you just look at the drone and see if the battery lights are illuminated showing that it is charging?  i think they go out when fully charged.  my guess is you can't damage the battery with the charging dome.
2021-2-15
Use props
fans3d7e7463
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

You're correct that the battery lights go out when the battery is fully charged.  But, does it trickle charge or cycle on and off indefinitely as long is the drone/battery is on the charging stand.  Now that you mention it, can you leave a drone/battery  attached to a USB C charger cable indefinitely or should you remove the cable after the battery is charged?  Perhaps I failed to research the charging process correctly regardless of dome, charging block, or USB C cable.
2021-2-15
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

After charging the MINI II it will shut off the charger whether in the 3 battery charge unit....or in the drone. It won't continue to trickle charge but I wouldn't leave it plugged in all the time.
By the way the batteries FOR THE MINI II are designed so they will loose a portion of their charge over one day and than slowly discharge more. This is because it is not good to keep LIPO batteries stored at full charge. There is info about this in the owers manual but also a video at DJI about it.  If transported on planes you need to discharge to around 30% I believe but you need to verify this.
2021-2-15
Use props
fans3d7e7463
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the charging information.  Perhaps trickle charge was the wrong expression.  But, If left alone the batteries would lose part of their charge over one day and wouldn't that trigger the charger to turn back on perhaps every two or three days?

I'll probably follow the same approach I used with my mini and the dome.  I used the dome and LED essentially for display of the drone without the battery and only charged the batteries with the 3 battery charge unit.   I wish the drone charger did have a three way switch which turned on the LEDs but not the charger.
2021-2-15
Use props
fans3d7e7463
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Astro Bob Posted at 2-15 18:41
After charging the MINI II it will shut off the charger whether in the 3 battery charge unit....or in the drone. It won't continue to trickle charge but I wouldn't leave it plugged in all the time.
By the way the batteries FOR THE MINI II are designed so they will loose a portion of their charge over one day and than slowly discharge more. This is because it is not good to keep LIPO batteries stored at full charge. There is info about this in the owers manual but also a video at DJI about it.  If transported on planes you need to discharge to around 30% I believe but you need to verify this.

Based on your comments, I did some research on Mavicpilots.com and now understand your comments.  Either of the chargers will charge the battery/batteries to full charge and then turn off.  The batteries will then discharge over a few days to about 50% and then stop discharging.  The chargers will not turn back on unless they're disconnected and reconnected from power.

Thus, it's ok to leave a battery in the mini 2 and in the display dome.  It will charge the battery once and then let it's planned discharge plan without damaging the battery.  

Thanks again for your help.
2021-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules