What does DJI have in the pipeline?
849 10 2021-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JitterBug
lvl.1
Ireland

I'm considering investing in a DJI drone, and out of the top 3 choices (Mavic 2 pro; Mavic 2 Zoom; Mavic Air 2) I'm leaning towards the 2 Pro mainly for the larger sensor, and better photo/video quality. Although the Zoom and Air both have some awesome specs, and a lot cheaper than the 2 Pro.

I'm wondering though if anyone in DJI would be willing to give a heads up on any developments on the horizon? I'd love to know if there was an update to the Mavic 2 Pro, with the same (or better photo quality and sensor) but with the added advantage of the Zoom capabilities of the Mavic 2 Zoom as well?

Reason I'm asking is that it's not long since I saved up to buy another DJI item (a Ronin-S gimbal that time) only for DJI to announce its successor mere weeks after I spent my savings on the comparatively worse gimbal.
2021-2-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In the pipeline a Mavic Air3, a Pro and Zoom 3.
But the best drone will be the series 4 of each....

My advice, buy one now, have fun ad buy later an upgrade...this is how consumer economics works!

cheers
JJB
2021-2-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As youre in Europe, check the latest EASA rules, the top drones are not classified and will end up in the legacy categories after the transition.  The mini 2 without classification currently falls into a loop hole which will give you the best flexibility where you can legally fly.
2021-2-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JitterBug. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. As of the moment we do not have any information when will be the next update or if there will be future updates for the DJI Mavic 2 Series drones. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest news, events and updates by following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ) for further details. Thank you for your support.
2021-2-22
Use props
JitterBug
lvl.1
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 2-22 01:01
As youre in Europe, check the latest EASA rules, the top drones are not classified and will end up in the legacy categories after the transition.  The mini 2 without classification currently falls into a loop hole which will give you the best flexibility where you can legally fly.

Hi DAFlys, when you say "not classified" and "will end up in the legacy categories", do you mean that it is now, or will soon be (because of some new EU drone legislation) illegal to fly the three drones I mentioned (Mavic 2 Pro; Mavic 2 Zoom; and Mavic Air 2)?
2021-2-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm wondering though if anyone in DJI would be willing to give a heads up on any developments on the horizon?
That's a great idea .. ask DJI to say what/when they'll be releasing new products so that customers won't buy any current models.
That's an interesting marketing concept.
I'm sure they'll go for it in a big way.
2021-2-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JitterBug Posted at 2-22 02:26
Hi DAFlys, when you say "not classified" and "will end up in the legacy categories", do you mean that it is now, or will soon be (because of some new EU drone legislation) illegal to fly the three drones I mentioned (Mavic 2 Pro; Mavic 2 Zoom; and Mavic Air 2)?

The eu rules changed on the 1st Jan this year.   Drones will require a classification sticker at manufacture time to show which zones you can fly in,   without it you fall into the legacy categories.  I have the M2P and I can now only fly 150m away from people/structututes/property etc.  So basically empty countryside only (to be legal).
2021-2-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JitterBug Posted at 2-22 02:26

This video will explain it in detail. -
2021-2-22
Use props
JitterBug
lvl.1
Ireland

So if I understand correctly, although the UK has left the EU, from 31st Dec 2020, they will be adopting the EASA rules that apply across the EU, yes?

And if so, all of the larger drones (+250g) will become legacy drones, and be severely restricted by the level 3 rules, yes? Looks like if you want to buy any drone before 2023, then something small like a Mini 2 is the best way to go.

Although, when the 2023 deadline occurs, and all the larger drones are restricted to level 3, does the mini 2 stay exempt? And at that time, will the tight restrictions still apply to brand new larger drones?
2021-2-22
Use props
MDJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85646 ft
United Kingdom

JitterBug Posted at 2-22 21:01
So if I understand correctly, although the UK has left the EU, from 31st Dec 2020, they will be adopting the EASA rules that apply across the EU, yes?

And if so, all of the larger drones (+250g) will become legacy drones, and be severely restricted by the level 3 rules, yes? Looks like if you want to buy any drone before 2023, then something small like a Mini 2 is the best way to go.

I do really recommend the video posted above - it explains the new rules very well.  But to answer your questions above:

1) Yes, the UK brought new rules into place on 31/12/20.  These new rules are essentially the EASA rules introduced across the EU at the same time.  That does not mean that the new CAA rules may not eventually diverge from the EASA rules but, for the moment - other than a couple of minor exceptions, they are essentially the same.  

2) The Mini 2 might be a good purchase as it will allow you to operate in all of the sub-categories, namely A1, A2 and A3.  This includes limited flying over uninvolved people - in a limited manner.  In addition, legacy drone less that 250g are not time-limited.  In other words, while the legacy exemptions for drones larger than 250g expire on 31 December 2022 (thus relegating to them only being able to fly in the A3 sub-category), legacy drones less than 250g will still be able to fly in the categories they can fly in now.  This assumes that the regulations do not change between now and 31 December 2022.  If I were buying a drone at the moment it is likely that the Mini 2 is the one that I would get due to the reasons above.  

3) I've already answered the question about the Mini 2. but it's worth noting a couple of other points.  While Legacy drones over 250g can operate in the A2 category, it's worth noting that they can only be flown in the A3 category unless you have an A2 CofC!.  If you have the A2 then you can fly these drones in the A2 sub-category but only within 50m of people.  When the C2 drones start to appear then you can fly within 30m of people or 5m in a low speed mode.  These lower distances don't apply to legacy drones greater than 250g at the moment.  Hopefully there may be a retrospective or retrofit process that will allow drones such as the Mavic 2 drones to be rclassified as C2 aircraft but it is by no means clears that this is going to happen - or that, if it happens in the EASA countries, that the CAA will follow suit.  

Hope this helps.

Marcus
2021-2-24
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You will find out on March 2, 2021 1AM UTC+11.

Suspect new FPV racing drone. Will be awesome.

There goes more of my hard earned cash.
2021-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules