Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini Case
3092 21 2015-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

So unfortunately on my 20th business day my order status did not change let alone ship, but on a brighter side I did get my new iPad Mini 2 in preparation for it's arrival.  I was wondering if anyone uses a case while attached to the transmitter. I got the Lifeproof case so that I don't have to worry about the elements or it banging around inside the Hardshell Backpack. It fits inside my Phantom 3 sunshade so I'm pretty sure it should fit on the transmitter mount. Just curious what you guys think.
image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-7-10
Use props
InspirelessAggi
Second Officer

United States

Deleted....
2015-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The iPad Mini 2 was adequate for my Phantom flying needs. But it got too hot, quick. And I hated the Sun star glare on the screen.
You would be better if you got an iPad Air 2. Anti-Glare screen, bigger screen, didn't heat up due to it's faster processing speed.
My thoughts, It just has better advantages, the iPad Mini 2 was missing. YMMV

You really have to try them both out, with the Phantom 3 and Pilot app, to realize the difference.

Advise as well, to buy the inspire 1 device holder too. It also makes for a much more enjoyable experience, over all.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-10
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-11 10:33
The iPad Mini 2 was adequate for my Phantom flying needs. But it got too hot, quick. And I hated the ...

Smh. Red I'm not sure why you are trying to sell me on an iPad Air when clearly I have already bought and decided on the mini. Now I'm not saying your wrong, but WTF man... My thread is about what people's opinion is on using a case with the transmitter mount. (Because I haven't seen them used that often in pics).  While your at it why don't you just tell me to throw my P3P in the trash when it gets here and buy a L1.  I swear this has got to be the worst forum in the world.  Donald Trump needs to worry more about the Canadians than the Mexicans in my opinion. It must be the thin cold air up there or something ;)
2015-7-10
Use props
rseal
lvl.1

United States

FWIW, I like my Ipad Mini2. I have it in an OtterBox and it fits, no buying something else, doesn't get hot, and I can see it fine.
2015-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Just saying the Air works a degree better for the app.
No need to get hostile, it's a forum where we voice opinion. You have mine.
And I did say YMMV.

ENJOY The Mini and the Phantom, together, they work just fine paired.
By the way, Do you know what you get, when you cross a Canadian with a Mexican?
Jessica Alba... Not too shabby.

RedHotPoker

2015-7-10
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-11 11:20
Just saying the Air works a degree better for the app.
No need to get hostile, it's a forum where w ...

Ok Red you redeemed yourself. Jessica Alba is the hottest thing on Earth.
2015-7-10
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

rseal Posted at 2015-7-11 11:13
FWIW, I like my Ipad Mini2. I have it in an OtterBox and it fits, no buying something else, doesn't  ...

Thx rseal. Exactly the help and reassurance I was looking for.
2015-7-10
Use props
editfx
lvl.1

United States

I also use the mini 2 and it has worked flawlessly.  No overheating issues as of yet.
I do not use a case and don't feel I need it, but if you prefer one I'm sure you won't have a problem fitting it in the holder.
I did end up putting on an anti-glare screen protector because glossy iPad screens are so hard to see outdoors.

I also bought the Inspire 1 device holder with the metal arm, I did not really think I would notice a difference between it and the original but I surprisingly found that I much prefer the Inspire holder.
It just stays in position much more securely with a larger device such as an iPad mini tablet.  Also, putting it in and out of my case requires me to fold the device holder open & closed everytime I take it in or out.
The Inspire holder remains very tight even after folding and unfolding it many times.

I find the iPad mini to be right at the perfect sweet spot of size vs. weight.
2015-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Weight?  Yeah, and Guess why they called a full sized tablet Air?  ;-)

I should probably check the weight of these two before I bark too loud...

RedHotPoker
2015-7-11
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-11 19:00
Weight?  Yeah, and Guess why they called a full sized tablet Air?  ;-)

I should probably check the  ...

I have the Speck case for the iPad2 Air. Speaking about the Speck case it is thin however it still will not fit in the holder.  Consider the thickness on any case for any device.
2015-7-11
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

kevinr621 Posted at 2015-7-11 19:19
I have the Speck case for the iPad2 Air. Speaking about the Speck case it is thin however it still ...

You're absolutely right. I have an iPad Air 2 without a case and it barely fits with the sunshade.
2015-7-11
Use props
P3PO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I have the Apple Smart Case but I don't use it with my P3P. Found it stays cooler without the case. I use my iPad Mini 2 daily for work and other stuff and it is cased for that.
2015-7-11
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use this case for my iPad Mini 2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=XAYXKCKCHC2K7DAM

It does not protect the screen and I don't think it'll protect too well if the iPad Mini is dropped. I primarily purchased it to prevent the iPad Mini from getting scratched. It fits in the tablet holder well since the case is very thin and it allows the tablet holder to grip it since it's rubbery.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-11 20:42
I use this case for my iPad Mini 2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=XAYXKCKCHC2K7DAM

Yea I think I saw that one. I wanted something with max protection but very small foot print. So far I am really happy with this case. Although I have yet to use it while flying. It has added some weight but I can't image total this being any heavier than an iPad Air.
2015-7-11
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-11 22:01
Yea I think I saw that one. I wanted something with max protection but very small foot print. So f ...

I've got both a Unicorn Beetle and a Targus Safeport case for my iPad Mini 3. The Mini starts to get warm at around 10-12 minutes of flight, but not bad.

I like the styling of the Unicorn case, but the Targus is red and black which helps in assuring that you haven't left anything behind when you're done flying. I also purchased a bright orange lightning cable for the same reasoning, easy to spot when packing up.

Both cases fit the Phantom controller  with a sun shade. If you were using a full sized iPad Air 2, you'd be out of luck.
2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-11 22:38
I've got both a Unicorn Beetle and a Targus Safeport case for my iPad Mini 3. The Mini starts to g ...

So your mini gets hot even with a sunshade?  That is odd to me. Anyone know what is causing this heat issue. I just don't understand how you can play graphic intense games that are constantly pushing the cpu and not have heat issues but this pilot app causes heat issues.
2015-7-11
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-12 00:23
So your mini gets hot even with a sunshade?  That is odd to me. Anyone know what is causing this h ...

Yep, the Mini 3 get hot because of the Pilot app. It's got to take the video feed from the controller as well as the IOS overhead. The coding on the Pilot app leaves a lot to be desired.

Unlike a video game that once you stop moving the cpu drops back to 20-30%, the Pilot app pulls 40-50% all the time.

The only apps I use on the iPad and my iPhone that kill power like the Pilot app, are the Waze GPS app and DrudgeReport. Neither app scales back when you attempt to run them in the background. The Pilot app is always pulling data.
2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-12 00:52
Yep, the Mini 3 get hot because of the Pilot app. It's got to take the video feed from the control ...

Wow. How fast does it kill the iPad mini's battery?  If I have 3 P3P batteries will the iPad still have juice after them?
2015-7-11
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-12 03:21
Wow. How fast does it kill the iPad mini's battery?  If I have 3 P3P batteries will the iPad still ...

You'll make three batteries worth, # 4 might be pushing things.

I have a smallish lithium ion power bank that I carry with me. When the iPad isn't being used, its' plugged in to the power bank.

The power bank uses the Milwaukee Tools 18 Volt battery and thier USB adaptor. Milwaukee also has a version that uses the 12 volt battery.
2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-12 03:26
You'll make three batteries worth, # 4 might be pushing things.

I have a smallish lithium ion pow ...

Thanks for the info
2015-7-11
Use props
greenbean
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I also have a mini (3) as well and lifeproof (sweet case), but for 2 reasons I don't use it when flying because although it fits, it is precariously perched and the mini does get warm so I don't want anything inhibiting cooling….it has not got to a point of overheating whereas it has caused any processing problems….I can fly 6 batteries on 100% charge….in cooler weather, probably not. Another thing, you may find the constant loosening of the holder irritating. I thought of getting the I1 holder but 1 wrap of a very thin tape around the post('Scotch' tape might be too thick) helps a whole lot.
oh, the 6 batteries, I don't "empty".... I don't go lower than 20%
2015-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules