123Next >
50421 80 2021-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ridg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if the new controller (one that comes with the FPV drone combo) is backward compatible with the (old) Air Unit (https://store.dji.com/uk/product/dji-fpv-air-unit?vid=82731) the googles would be, but would you need either the old controller or your own RX to make your own FPV drones?
2021-3-2
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

will not work
2021-3-2
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks, that what I thought; any change via a firmware update later?

From a DJI perspective it makes sense, just a shame as it's would be a great deal if you could then add your own air units/drones effectively making the combo a starter kit.
2021-3-2
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

it's quite stupdi decision to be honest - I don't like that old phantom-style controller for air unit/vista. would switch to this gamepad one right away if it would support older units. But as DJI "knows better" really a dissapointment :/
2021-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ridg. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. As posted above I am sorry to say that the DJI FPV Controller 2 is not compatible with the previous Air Unit. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI FPV ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fpv?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you.
2021-3-2
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-2 21:15
Hello there Ridg. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. As posted above I am sorry to say that the DJI FPV Controller 2 is not compatible with the previous Air Unit. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI FPV ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fpv?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you.

That's sad. It was one of the reasons I ordered it.
Are the googles compatible with the old system?
Will there be a new air unit?
2021-3-2
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 3-2 22:32
That's sad. It was one of the reasons I ordered it.
Are the googles compatible with the old system?
Will there be a new air unit?

The FPV Goggles V2 work with the existing air unit and the existing remote control.

You switch to DJI FPV system in the goggles and then re-start and the boot into DJI FPV System. When you pair to the air unit it will disconnect the FPV system remote so you need to pair that again.

To go back to the FPV drone you need to select that in the menu in the goggles and restart the goggles. It remembers what it was paired with so you won't need to do it each time you change systems.
2021-3-3
Use props
djiuser_BWl8p701nfB9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20732 ft
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-2 21:15

Please make the Remote compatible with the Air unit. So many people will buy it just because it‘s more convenient. It should be possible with a SW update
2021-3-3
Use props
YLange
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4795377 ft
  • >>>
Germany

It's a shame that dji doesn't think on a larger scale here ... every drone gets its own remote control that's so sick.
Especially today when we should think about our environmental protection with every product, use resources wisely ..
Please make the controller compatible with the AirUnit !
2021-3-3
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Buzzyone Posted at 3-3 09:28
The FPV Goggles V2 work with the existing air unit and the existing remote control.

You switch to DJI FPV system in the goggles and then re-start and the boot into DJI FPV System. When you pair to the air unit it will disconnect the FPV system remote so you need to pair that again.

Thanks for the explanation! That's good news.

Am I right in assuming that the googles and the DJI FPV System for transmitting the video signal on the one hand and a controller and the receiver in the drone on the other hand are two different things? Meaning a drone could have the DJI video transmitter and use an analog control system? Or is it DJI all the way?
2021-3-3
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Depp Posted at 3-3 23:09

Am I right in assuming that the googles and the DJI FPV System for transmitting the video signal on the one hand and a controller and the receiver in the drone on the other hand are two different things? Meaning a drone could have the DJI video transmitter and use an analog control system? Or is it DJI all the way?

I get most of your question but what do you mean by "Analogue" control system.
2021-3-4
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Depp Posted at 3-3 23:09

Compatibility.

• DJI FPV (Drone, Goggles, Controller) is one system integrated. The Goggles can be set to talk to the old FPV Air Units.
  • DJI FPV Old {FPV Goggles V2 and FPV Goggles V1}, Air Unit and Controller are one integrated system.
  • DJI Goggles RE Black (Goggles, Air Unit) Integrated but Open standard for controller. PCM Trainer input port on Goggles links with (Trainer PCM output required on) Controller. Goggles have Analogue 5.8Ghz Video support so can link with all Analogue VTX units. Goggles can also link to Mavic Pro and Platinum and Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom (Goggles have HDMI Input)
  • DJI Goggles V1 (White) can link to Mavic Pro and Platinum and Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. (Goggles Have HDMI Input)

Hope this helps I have all these Above and Below. (Once My Combo, FlyMore, and One Hand Controller arrive next week)

DJI Goggles White and Goggles Black RE can connect to DJI Smartcontroller via HDMI and can replicate the Smartcontrolelr screen
DJI FPV Goggles dont have Head Tracking
DJI FPV Goggles Support Multiple Goggles One Linked Master and Multiple copies in Guest View Mode. When using Old FPV Mode and Original air units.  
DJI Goggles White and Black RE support Head tracking for linked models for Camera operator. (Dual Goggles Support)
DJI FPV Goggles V2 can connect to Smartdevice to replicate what is on the Goggles screen.  

Cheers

2021-3-4
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks again.
My plan was to buy the DJI FPV drone and fly it. My next plan was to use the goggles and the controller with at Geprc Cinelog 25 with digital transmission system. Now it seems that the new controller can't handle that but the new goggles would work.
One way to make my plans work would be to buy an additional old DJI controller and fly the Cinelog with that and the new googles. Disadvantage: price.
The other way that I was trying to find out was if a drone with the DJI vision system (original or "clone") could be flown with an analog transmission system for controlling the drone, meaning a drone that has the visual system using DJI and the control system, linking a cheap analog controller and and the flight controller on the drone, using analog.

2021-3-4
Use props
YLange
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4795377 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks for the compatibility list.

What to say, there is nothing innovative, there is nothing useful with the DJI FPV Drone ...

- it is a Drone which is not easy to repair and which nobody really need's.
- it cannot be flyer in EU under normal production conditions because there is no C Class ...
- it is not compatible with some things else then itself ... like all the other Drones vom DJI
- DJI do not understand that need to be interesting in future ... with an Ecosystem of compatibility, and not a bunch of standalone products
- DJI has no longer innovative and outstanding products .. the other are coming closer and closer ...
- We all know the it can be happen but DJI don't want it
.... ok so i don't want DJI any longer, thank you !

If you need Cinematic dynamic drone shots you can do it already if you can fly ....

Bye, bye DJI
2021-3-5
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Depp Posted at 3-4 04:10
Thanks again.
My plan was to buy the DJI FPV drone and fly it. My next plan was to use the goggles and the controller with at Geprc Cinelog 25 with digital transmission system. Now it seems that the new controller can't handle that but the new goggles would work.
One way to make my plans work would be to buy an additional old DJI controller and fly the Cinelog with that and the new googles. Disadvantage: price.

There is no such thing as an Analogue controller. All 2.4 Ghz Radio Txs are Digital.
2021-3-6
Use props
ellpee
lvl.1

Australia

Buzzyone Posted at 3-3 09:28

any tricks to get the v2 goggles to link to air units? cheers
2021-3-19
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ellpee Posted at 3-19 21:02
any tricks to get the v2 goggles to link to air units? cheers

No tricks as such, you need to switch the goggles to DJI FPV System, in the About Menu in the goggles, scroll to the bottom of the list, scroll past the last item, select DJI FPV System and confirm. Restart the goggles and they will boot into the FPV System, bind as normal to the air unit. Switching back is the reverse.

At the moment there’s a bug which means it won’t remember the bindings when you switch, this is to be fixed in an update.
2021-3-19
Use props
djiuser_c85iXjNlcXKt
lvl.1

United States

Hey I'm just a new guy here registering my disappointment with my new v2 controller not being compatible with the entire ecosystem created around your v1 system. Even though you never told me that it would be compatible, it still feels like a betrayal, since it being compatible would be such an obvious and proper thing to do.

You think it will make me buy more of your stuff? No, it will make me buy less.
2021-3-29
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_c85iXjNlcXKt Posted at 3-29 07:54
Hey I'm just a new guy here registering my disappointment with my new v2 controller not being compatible with the entire ecosystem created around your v1 system. Even though you never told me that it would be compatible, it still feels like a betrayal, since it being compatible would be such an obvious and proper thing to do.

You think it will make me buy more of your stuff? No, it will make me buy less.

Indeed, if it had worked with the current air unit, I'd have bought the fly more combo and the air unit; as it stands I've bought nothing.  There's a rumour a new air unit is incoming, which may work with the new controller.  It's a no brainer though for DJI to release a compatible unit as it's gets you in the ecosystem and keeps you there.
2021-3-29
Use props
djiuser_lFUkoSYx4Qbf
lvl.1

Canada

Ridg Posted at 3-29 08:01
Indeed, if it had worked with the current air unit, I'd have bought the fly more combo and the air unit; as it stands I've bought nothing.  There's a rumour a new air unit is incoming, which may work with the new controller.  It's a no brainer though for DJI to release a compatible unit as it's gets you in the ecosystem and keeps you there.

Hi, I'm with both of you guys, and I actually did buy the fly more combo. I haven't flown FPV for a couple years and wanted to get back into it. I blindly ASSUMED I'd be able to get air units for a few of my old rigs I'd want to revive. I would have easily spent another $1000 on them. I actually really like the controller too now that I'm used to it, and the drone is alot of fun for what it is... a fast FPV camera drone that has a manual mode. It's not a racing drone, it's not a freestyle drone... but I digress, point is it would be hands down my goto control and FPV system for every aircraft I build from now on. But alas... Please DJI, make a firmware update for this to be possible.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_c85iXjNlcXKt
lvl.1

United States

They sent me a survey, and I let them know. Maybe if enough do it they will do it, or tell us what their plans are.
2021-4-2
Use props
robertrico
lvl.2
United States

Please make the new controller work with the DJI air unit. It has FPV branding all over it, even in the name “ DJI FPV Remote Controller 2” which leads people to believe that it is version 2 of the current control “ DJI FPV Remote Controller” which supports the DJI air unit.....
2021-4-5
Use props
cootertwo
lvl.4
United States

I think what Depp was asking, is can you use the ver2 goggles with an "air unit" and also use, say a crossfire system for drone control ?????
2021-4-6
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cootertwo Posted at 4-6 07:26
I think what Depp was asking, is can you use the ver2 goggles with an "air unit" and also use, say a crossfire system for drone control ?????

that's exactly what he's asking and the answer is yes, the new googles work with the "old" air unit so without the old FPV controller, you would be limited to just using the air unit for video (the same as you would have with an analog VTX system) you would then need to wire in your rtx directly to the flight stack, it basically becomes an old school setup with the VTX and RTX being distinct units except the video is HD digital.
2021-4-6
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

"DJI FPV Goggles V2 can connect to Smartdevice to replicate what is on the Goggles screen."The video is streamed over USB but additional on screen info like height and speed are not shared with the smartdevice.

"DJI FPV Goggles Support Multiple Goggles One Linked Master and Multiple copies in Guest View Mode. When using Old FPV Mode and Original air units."
The new FPV drone also allows guest mode. The master goggle has to enable the option. The guest goggle does not stream video over USB like the master can.

2021-4-6
Use props
kwattts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61545 ft
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 3-19 22:00
No tricks as such, you need to switch the goggles to DJI FPV System, in the About Menu in the goggles, scroll to the bottom of the list, scroll past the last item, select DJI FPV System and confirm. Restart the goggles and they will boot into the FPV System, bind as normal to the air unit. Switching back is the reverse.

At the moment there’s a bug which means it won’t remember the bindings when you switch, this is to be fixed in an update.

This really is a hot mess from DJI. In summary, we have:

DJI FPV Fly More Combo
- Receiver: DJI FPV Air unit
- Video: DJI Digital HD FPV Goggles
- Controller: DJI FPV Remote Controller (Mode 2)

DJI FPV Combo (Having the same name as "v1" above is part of the confusion, we can call it v2)
- Receiver: DJI FPV Drone
- Video: DJI FPV Goggles V2
- Controller: DJI FPV Remote Controller 2

I'm also in the situation of having the DJI FPV Combo (v2) and another bird with the DJI FPV Air unit.
We've determined the "DJI FPV Goggles V2" works with the old DJI FPV Air unit. I've done this as well, switch to the DJI FPV system in the "DJI FPV Goggles V2" and bind, video is live.
We've determined that the "DJI FPV Remote Controller 2" does NOT work with the DJI FPV Air unit.

My question, has anyone validated that the "DJI FPV Goggles V2" and old "DJI FPV Remote Controller (Mode 2)" works on a "DJI FPV Air unit" together?

2021-4-7
Use props
kwattts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61545 ft
United States

kwattts Posted at 4-7 08:42
This really is a hot mess from DJI. In summary, we have:

DJI FPV Fly More Combo

To answer my own question, the FPV mode 2 controller does work with the air unit and DJI FPV Goggles v2. This is with the protek 3.5 cinewhoop.

One thing to mention is at first the protek would not arm. I had to activate and upgrade the firmware to the controller and air unit. Then is was just switching down the SD (I think, the top left switch) to get the blades spinning. A bit confusing and wasn't mentioned anywhere.
2021-4-10
Use props
fans5841fe90
New

Germany

kwattts Posted at 4-10 14:42
To answer my own question, the FPV mode 2 controller does work with the air unit and DJI FPV Goggles v2. This is with the protek 3.5 cinewhoop.

One thing to mention is at first the protek would not arm. I had to activate and upgrade the firmware to the controller and air unit. Then is was just switching down the SD (I think, the top left switch) to get the blades spinning. A bit confusing and wasn't mentioned anywhere.

How did you do it? I just tried to bind my DJI fpv controller v2 to the air Unit v1 and was not able to get a connection. I also checked for software updates but everything was up to date
2021-4-12
Use props
fans4829d2d0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52247 ft
Guam

fans5841fe90 Posted at 4-12 14:26
How did you do it? I just tried to bind my DJI fpv controller v2 to the air Unit v1 and was not able to get a connection. I also checked for software updates but everything was up to date

I think he's talking about the fpv controller mode 2 and not the v2 controller.
2021-4-27
Use props
djiuser_ZDG1SF6I9LE6
New

Austria

Please DJI!!! Make an air unit v2 that works with the new contoller. Or at least make the controller work with the existing unit. More important: please communicate what you are up to. Please!
2021-4-30
Use props
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

I absolutely love the DJI FPV, its incredible.

but along with many others, probably THE biggest disappointment was when I found out that the DJI Remote Controller v2 was incompatible with every other drone... because it cannot talk to the Air Unit,  and then learning it was unclear if there would even be an air unit that was compatible with the RC v2
as others have said, there was a hope, that the DJI FPV drone was sitting on the new 'fpv system', so for those of us that wanted to 'go deeper' into FPV could buy other drones to accompany our DJI FPV.

having to buy the DJI Remote Controller v1 , given its feels outdated and is expensive, and a backward step (I prefer the RC v2 ergonomics and how compact it it)

also its frustrating we don't truly know what DJI's plan is...
if I know 100% that the RC v2 is never going to be compatible with an Air Unit, fine, I can bite the bullet, buy another transmitter.
then be a bit miffed if DJI suddenly updates the RC v2 to work with the Air Unit.

(getting a new drone with batteries/charger is expensive enough, Id really prefer not to invest (at this stage) in another transmitter)
2021-5-1
Use props
MarcelN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2307733 ft
Netherlands

I've just ordered the fpv controller and the Radiomaster TS16S Max, and now waiting.....some weeks from China to arrive
2021-5-1
Use props
djiuser_iHTqy1XxlZnB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62822 ft
United States

YLange Posted at 3-5 00:20
Thanks for the compatibility list.

What to say, there is nothing innovative, there is nothing useful with the DJI FPV Drone ...

Brother why all the anger?  Cmon man we all know that just about all big business thinks about bottom line 1st and foremost and then consumers 2nd so whats the point of getting yourself all worked up over something thats always been going on and will continue till the end of time!! So if you're going to ghost every product that you think should actually be thinking about their customers 1st then you'll end up with nothing not having any fun!!!! Yes i agree with you 100% about everything you said they should have done but just be happy with the product at hand because you have to admit the video transmission signal is phenomenal because it completely blew me away after flying analog for years l. I like to build my own drones and would also like to use the goggles and controller for a different drone but for now picking up a different controller aint too bad as long as im retaining that amazing transmission quality. All im saying is cmon brother wre both know you gonna keep that drone!
2021-5-1
Use props
razorseal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121801 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also just got the DJI FPV and wanted to get the air unit to revive my eachine 250... Disappointed I have to buy the controller 1 (yet another 300 bucks) when the new one is smaller, works well and should be compatible.

DJI, please make it compatible!!!
2021-5-16
Use props
cootertwo
lvl.4
United States

Well, I done been through all this stuff. I bought the FPV kit and was amazed at the video quality. So, bought 5 Vista kits, to upgrade some of my older analog drones. Then bought the V1 radio ($300). It's nice, BUT...
I found the video coming from the Vista's not quite as good as the new FPV setup. Also the range of the V1 radio leaves a whole lot to be desired. What is DJI gonna do? Who knows. I'm tinkering with my vista kits and Crossfire. Also have 2 full size Air units coming in the mail.
2021-5-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cootertwo Posted at 5-16 06:32
Well, I done been through all this stuff. I bought the FPV kit and was amazed at the video quality. So, bought 5 Vista kits, to upgrade some of my older analog drones. Then bought the V1 radio ($300). It's nice, BUT...
I found the video coming from the Vista's not quite as good as the new FPV setup. Also the range of the V1 radio leaves a whole lot to be desired. What is DJI gonna do? Who knows. I'm tinkering with my vista kits and Crossfire. Also have 2 full size Air units coming in the mail.

One problem with the "new" controller that comes with the FPV drone is, it has only two (3-position) switches. The others are all simple momentary SPST switches, and one wheel. That's not really enough to do a lot of what you want to do with a traditional F4/F7 Betaflight, etc. quad. You can routinely tie up at least 4 switches on the typical Betaflight setup and sometimes you need more than that.

I'm not sure how you could get the momentary switches on the FPV drone controller to fill all those roles. You'd need some kind of flip-flop technology or something like that on the switches, and even then they could only mimic 2-position SPDT switches. And the useability would be very confusing, since there's no way to tell tactilally what state the flip-flopped switch is actually in.

And then there's the whole issue of the transceivers in the new remote, and making them work with the different protocols, frequencies, etc. that the Air Unit/Caddix systems use.

Finally, the Air Unit/Caddix development has ended, as DJI is no longer interested in upgrading the DIY digital system. It's end-of-life and will probably never be updated again. Presumably any more further development of the digital video system is going into the FPV drone (if they haven't orphaned even the FPV drone at this point).

So that'd be a lot of work and risk on DJI's part on a system they're no longer working on or interested in. Even if all that can be done in the controller's firmware, it strikes me as a pretty major project to make it work with full or nearly full functionality with the Air Unit/Caddix system. And not break everything that works with the FPV drone.

So I doubt we'll ever see the new FPV controller work with the Air Unit/Caddix.
2021-5-16
Use props
Timsomnia
lvl.2
United States

luciens Posted at 5-16 08:28
One problem with the "new" controller that comes with the FPV drone is, it has only two (3-position) switches. The others are all simple momentary SPST switches, and one wheel. That's not really enough to do a lot of what you want to do with a traditional F4/F7 Betaflight, etc. quad. You can routinely tie up at least 4 switches on the typical Betaflight setup and sometimes you need more than that.

I'm not sure how you could get the momentary switches on the FPV drone controller to fill all those roles. You'd need some kind of flip-flop technology or something like that on the switches, and even then they could only mimic 2-position SPDT switches. And the useability would be very confusing, since there's no way to tell tactilally what state the flip-flopped switch is actually in.

Disagreeing on this. At this point we're all speculating of course, but for me it doesn't make sense for DJI to do all the R&D for developing the digital FPV system just to drop the ball now that the market is hot.

They're obviously trying to get into new and growing markets which they successfully did with the FPV system and now the drone and created a ton of new FPV pilots. There' so many of us out there now who got the DJI drone as an entry level drug.

I think DJI teaming up with Caddx to overcome the hardware shortage and keeping the Air Unit in production is a clear sign of DJI not abandoning the DIY market. It's a shame that that version wasn't made compatible with the new remote but it perfectly possible that the hardware simply doesn't fit.

I bet a box of fine German lager on DJI coming out with a new product that works with the remote 2 within one year. I'm sure they have their road mapped out for a few years from here, expanding the FPV market more and more.
2021-5-18
Use props
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

I see no reason the controller v2 could not be used with other quads with a firmware update. (perhaps new air unit firmware)

its easy in firmware to have momentaries have state, and so act toggle switches
I could see things like arm/disarm could be double tap, like they are on the dji fpv.
there are also two 3 state switches, for more free assignment.

but, for sure, I do think it would be a pretty basic remote - but I think it would be enough to get us started.

perhaps, DJI will later then create a larger 'advanced' fpv remote, with more switches - that could be used with the dji fpv.
not everyone is a fan of the game remote form factor ,perhaps an update to the v1 fpv remote? but the v2 is  nice and compact, the form factor made sense for the dji fpv combo pack.

but for sure its all speculation for now....
it could be dji are just experimenting in the fpv market, and decide its not worth pursuing...
or they could have a range of products that they hope to release.

of course, its unclear if they really will continue the diy side - they could decide yet to dump it, once they have a more complete lineup?

I think, the first firmware update for the dji fpv system will be quite 'telling'...
as often v 1.x firmware updates contain things that were planned but didn't quite make it for release day.
if we dont see improved support for the air unit (repeated binding, controller v2 support) - i fear/suspect we wont see much later on.

2021-5-18
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Timsomnia Posted at 5-18 02:23
Disagreeing on this. At this point we're all speculating of course, but for me it doesn't make sense for DJI to do all the R&D for developing the digital FPV system just to drop the ball now that the market is hot.

They're obviously trying to get into new and growing markets which they successfully did with the FPV system and now the drone and created a ton of new FPV pilots. There' so many of us out there now who got the DJI drone as an entry level drug.

That seems to be exactly what they did, though. All further development on the DIY digital system has basically completely stopped. Even the video feed feature from the goggles to an outboard device never materialized - though fortunately someone finally hacked it and now there's a third-party Node.js app that you can download to do this on a Windows or MacOS machine.

But again that's normal according to DJI's history. Their DIY/parts business has always been a side-hustle and they always discontinue their DIY parts once the tech gets integrated into a turnkey all-in-one product.

So we can basically count on no more updates or improvements to the DIY digital system. It'll never get the O3 support that's in the FPV drone and it'll never work with the new remote (looks technically cumbersome to me). That just doesn't make financial and marketing sense for DJI. And how long Caddix will continue to make the air units is also unknown and could stop at any time.

DJI has been after that market for years - starting with the original DJI goggles RE and the first Ocusync 2.0 air unit. It was terrible and infested with bugs, but it kind of worked (I used it for a while). So I think they definitely intended to wipe out the FPV ecosystem completely and get the whole thing running on the FPV drone.

But this first version of it certainly didn't do that. Like I said, pilots are still buying traditional F4/F7 betaflight quads (including myself!) and DJI has still not even made a dent in the racing market. Racers still use analog almost exclusively and barely use anything made by DJI at all. Others are bolting GoPros onto the top of the FPV drone, and making phone holders for the remote and all sorts of ridiculous stuff like that. The FPV drone certainly isn't scratching the itches that DJI wanted it to.

So DJI is at a crossroads. To really take over the FPV market they're going to have to reconsider and try something else. The FPV drone as-is is a decent product, but it's not a market killer and I think DJI knows that.....
2021-5-18
Use props
Timsomnia
lvl.2
United States

luciens Posted at 5-18 04:29
That seems to be exactly what they did, though. All further development on the DIY digital system has basically completely stopped. Even the video feed feature from the goggles to an outboard device never materialized - though fortunately someone finally hacked it and now there's a third-party Node.js app that you can download to do this on a Windows or MacOS machine.

But again that's normal according to DJI's history. Their DIY/parts business has always been a side-hustle and they always discontinue their DIY parts once the tech gets integrated into a turnkey all-in-one product.

FPV at the moment is very niche, especially racing. The FPV drone will make the whole thing go mainstream, it already is happening. Accessories are sold out everywhere. Every FPV youtuber is producing content about DJIs drone.

The FPV drone is not a market killer but a catalyst. DJI is building the market themselves. If it grows big enough, they'll stay in the game.
2021-5-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules