New battery, wires broken, or compromised, pinched internally
4994 8 2015-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I just received my new TB48 battery for my new I1, which I have not received yet.  So I had no way to charge the battery, the battery showed no charge at all, it would not even blink a light.  Not being able to charge until next week I thought I should contact the person thatI bought the battery from and make him aware of the circumstances.  

He immediately emailed me back and said that I was the third person that had contacted him about the battery being completely DOA. He said remove the top and unplug the connector from the board, wait 15 seconds and plug it back in,  that this would reset the board, He said that, that was what a customer told him, and that it had worked on all three so far.  

What I found when I opened the case, flipped me out, Man am I glad that this battery was like this when I got it and caused me to open the case. I assure you, you will not fly your I1 until you chec kthis.  Here is what I found, this is what the wiring layout looked like upon opening the case.

battery bad position.jpg

Notice the wires laying up over the connector, also its hardto see but if you look hard, where the red and yellow wires go into the foam,you will see a hard crimp in the yellow wire, I believe it was pinched by the large black wire. Upon closer inspection, of the rest of the wires here is what I found.

Still0013.jpg       Still0012.jpg       

The two pictures above are pictures of the wires coming off of the plug. these were taken under a ten power microscope, the wires are very small guage and this could easily be missed, when wound in with the other wires.The wires were pinched between a sharp edged IC chip on the top of the board and the connector below it .

battery good position.jpg

This shows how the wires should possibly be routed, check routing of all of the wires, and check for pinching, or damaged wires,  Could this be causing some of the problems,
with fly offs, going crazy, and battery errors,  the wiring shroud that is damaged has a natural tendency to fold, and lay over the top of the connector, when assembling. There is basically zero clearance, between the connector and an IC that is attached to top of battery, when the battery is assembled.

Are you going flying again before you check this, a new battery has been shipped to me, and I expect my I1 to be here at the end of next week, before I do anything both battery tops will be removed and inspected before my new I1 will lift off.

2015-7-11
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I had a hard time with the pictures,  If anyone else has had the top off of there battery, and sees the same thing please let me know, hopefully this is a fluke,  I will take the top off of every battery now and look no matter what. when you replace the top on the battery the plug wires have a tendency to want to fold over top of the plug be careful.
2015-7-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will bring this up with my supervisor and notify quality control.
2015-7-13
Use props
Eltmiester
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just checked three of my batteries, two ok, one need wires re-routing. Wise to check me thinks!
2015-7-14
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I just received my Inspire and an extra battery, upon removing the tops and inspecting the wire routing, on one of the battery's, the wires were routed smoothly and not laying over top of the connector, on the other battery the wires were pinched on top of the connector but not damaged as they were on my very first battery.

The wires on my first battery was pinched so bad that the copper wire was showing, I urge you to check your batteries. I cut a credit card up and slid it in on all four places on the side that the battery snaps together , then just pry under the ends a bit and the top, will slip right off.  I think this is well worth looking at, as the battery ages, and begins to swell a bit, if the wire is laying up over the connector it could become compromised.  

Six batteries have been checked and reported on, in this thread, out of the six , three were folded over the connector with one being pinched very badly and was sent back. This is a simple check and I urge you to do it.
2015-7-20
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

Can someone please describe the method to remove the battery top? From the looks of it there are catches on all four sides.

Thanks
2015-7-31
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

joeyjoe Posted at 2015-7-31 19:01
Can someone please describe the method to remove the battery top? From the looks of it there are cat ...

Hi Joey
I cut up an old credit card, use the smooth part cut up into 4 pieces. On the battery, between the top and case between the two parts. at the end of the long sides work the card up between the parts. then just pry and lift a bit on the latched short sides of the battery one at a time and the top will slip right off. Snaps right back on when your through. kind of check all wiring and smooth out any sharp bends. lay that wire with connector over to the side and carefully check when you clip the top back on.
2015-7-31
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-1 08:42
Hi Joey
I cut up an old credit card, use the smooth part cut up into 4 pieces. On the battery, bet ...

Thank you for the tip.
2015-8-1
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the tip!
2016-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules