Motors stopped in flight
1421 9 2015-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jtrager
lvl.3
United States

My Phantom 2 Vision + was up in the air after being recently repaired.  DJI repaired a gimbal, after the quad had came down in the wrong location, and hit a tree at 91 feet (even though I had the height set for 125 feet).  They repaired it, but I think they could have done a better job... but it does work, but it isn't as smooth as when it was new.

After 3 flights, and having updated the firmware to 3.14, the motors stopped, and it came down fast from 220 feet in the air!  But I got lucky, it went through a tall tree (which slowed it down, and knocked out the battery pack), and landed with no damage.  With the battery pack out of it, it weighed less, and I believe that is what saved it from having major damage.

Could the props have shut down because I had it coming down too fast, that is the throttle stick was held too far down for a long period of time?  I never had this problem before, with over 40 flights on it with the 3.12 firmware.  Isn't it supposed to sense the barometric pressure changing as it is coming down, therefore not letting the props shut down, being that it is still descending?

Has anyone else had this happen to them with this latest firmware update?

2015-7-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

The throttle stick held down for too long will not cause this to happen. The only thing that will shut down the motors mid flight is the CSC command. The model only uses the barometer and detects that it is no longer descending for 3 seconds (with full down throttle). Other events were more likely would be battery/smart board failures where the model just died in flight. I have not seen anyone else have this problem, so it is probably not the firmware. If it was we would have a lot of guys reporting it on the forums that firmware has been out for a while.

Is it posable you did a CSC mid flight?  

2015-7-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

I've seen a lot of posts where the battery has popped out somewhere along the way after a power failure. Is it possible the battery was not latched all the way? Could you tell if the lights were still on after the motors stopped (while it was falling)?

Barney
2015-7-12
Use props
jtrager
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-12 16:52
The throttle stick held down for too long will not cause this to happen. The only thing that will sh ...

I doubt the power failed while in flight, because I recorded the cellphone display with audio of the flight.  After one hears the motors stop, there is still video of the Phantom coming down, till the battery pops out, due to it hitting a tree.  According to the telemetry, the fastest speed on the display before video was lost was 47MPH.  Batteries and satellites were all good.  I'm glad I didn't have it at 400 feet up!

I don't believe I did a CSC in flight.  I was just trying to bring it closer to the ground.  
2015-7-12
Use props
jtrager
lvl.3
United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-7-12 20:29
I've seen a lot of posts where the battery has popped out somewhere along the way after a power fail ...

I'm sure the battery didn't pop out, because I have video (of cellphone) recorded after the motors stopped.
2015-7-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

jtrager@carolin Posted at 2015-7-13 07:30
I'm sure the battery didn't pop out, because I have video (of cellphone) recorded after the motors ...

Nope, you're right. If you still had a feed, there was power. I just see so many posts where motors have stopped and the battery winds up popping out.

Barney
2015-7-13
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

After getting it back from repairs did you do an IMU fullcalibration. It is need after shipping as that can confuses the IMU sensors.
2015-7-13
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

jtrager@carolin Posted at 2015-7-13 07:28
I doubt the power failed while in flight, because I recorded the cellphone display with audio of t ...

What's your Motor cut-off setting -->  Intelligent or Immediately?
2015-7-15
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

OK, I give.  what is a "Motor cut-off setting -->  Intelligent or Immediately" and where do you make such a selection?
2015-7-16
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

b) Executing CSC; c) Throttle stick under 40%, and after landing for more tha...

yorlik Posted at 2015-7-17 01:02
OK, I give.  what is a "Motor cut-off setting -->  Intelligent or Immediately" and where do you make ...

Connect with the Phantom Assistant and look at the right side of  " View"  for motor cut-off type.

From DJI-Wiki:
(1)        Immediately Mode: If you select this mode, in any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is over 10%, motors will not stop immediately only when throttle stick is back under 10% the motors will stop. In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop, motors will re-start, CSC is not needed. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in three seconds, motors will stop automatically.
(2)        Intelligent Mode: By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI. Mode, any one of following four cases will stop motors:
a)        You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within three seconds;
b)        Executing CSC;
c)        Throttle stick under 40%, and after landing for more than 3 seconds.
d)        If the angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%.

2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules