Compus Calibration Clarification
1323 12 2014-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Winston
lvl.1

Canada

Hello all,

Just recently the company I work for had picked up a Phantom 2 Vision+, and I am responsible for understanding and piloting it. Now I had recently wen't through a 4 hour training course, and the instructor had mentioned that you do not need to toggle the S1 switch multiple times to engage calibration. However, from my understanding you do.

Could I get clarification on this? Thanks.
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

yes toggle it a few times until the light turns constant yellow, you dont need to toogle to fast like many ppl do. I dont know another way to enter calibration mode, what other way your instructor told you?
2014-11-24
Use props
Winston
lvl.1

Canada

He literally told us to pick up the unit upon turning it and doing the rotations without actually toggling the S1 switch, which made no sense to me. How would the unit know that you want to calibrate it?
2014-11-24
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Winston Posted at 2014-11-25 00:05
He literally told us to pick up the unit upon turning it and doing the rotations without actually to ...

It will not calibrate; the instructor was incorrect.  If you just dance without flipping the S1 switch to start calibration then the unit will not be calibrated and you risk everything that comes with flying it with an uncalibrated compass.
2014-11-24
Use props
Winston
lvl.1

Canada

Indeed, I agree. I just found it odd that an instructor would instruct this at @ $125.00 per attendee. He also tried to convince the class that ground station required expensive hardware for ground station to function, and from my understanding the app includes this and the hardware is already built-in in the newer models.

/facepalm
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Winston Posted at 2014-11-25 00:12
Indeed, I agree. I just found it odd that an instructor would instruct this at @ $125.00 per attende ...

no, it depends on the Phantom model, for the phantom1 and 2 you need the ground station hardware. I dont know about the vision but its possible that the vision can do waypoints with the free app so you dont need hardware.
2014-11-24
Use props
Winston
lvl.1

Canada

Yea, that's what I've concluded as well. The Phantom we're using is the Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus), and the app allows for the Ground Station to be enabled. I have not used it and I'm not sure I will be going to use it as illegal for autonomous operation of a UAV in Canada.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just a little red due to incorrect information. These are incredibly expensive units, and paying to have someone tell you something completely wrong and potentially dangerous for both the UAV and surroundings angers me.

I do appreciate all of your feedback guys/gals.
2014-11-24
Use props
Dale99
New

United States

Winston Posted at 2014-11-25 00:45
Yea, that's what I've concluded as well. The Phantom we're using is the Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus), an ...

I totaly agree. It seems to be the wild wild west so to speak as to who knows what or even what is right.

I am a new user of this tech and am having a hard time just getting the dang thing to like with my brand new tablet.

I bought it through B&H photo so have been using their tech support. they have a live chat during the day but the jury is still out as to if they know what to do any more than I do!

Seems to me that if the community wants to keep the FAA off their backs it better find some stable, easy to use platform to use.
2014-11-24
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

you can calibrate from the video controller under settings tab
2014-11-24
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Dale99 Posted at 2014-11-25 01:14
I totaly agree. It seems to be the wild wild west so to speak as to who knows what or even what is ...

What tablet are you using?
2014-11-24
Use props
Dale99
New

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-25 01:20
What tablet are you using?

im using aSamsung Galaxy Tab4 with android ver 4.4.2
2014-11-24
Use props
Dale99
New

United States

Dale99 Posted at 2014-11-25 01:32
im using aSamsung Galaxy Tab4 with android ver 4.4.2

B&H wants me to sync my camera to the range extender. Im currently waiting for the battery to charge to 100 %
2014-11-24
Use props
Dale99
New

United States

Dale99 Posted at 2014-11-25 01:35
B&H wants me to sync my camera to the range extender. Im currently waiting for the battery to char ...

Sorry I mean "Bind" the camera and extender
2014-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules