Sand on the motors...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I landed on the beach and it flipped momentarily...

Then I check the motors and its some sands came in and rotating the motor has crunching and not smooth... so i blew air and mouth and shook off the motors and returned to normal...

Went home and used vacuum to P3P... and test (no props) and seems OK ?

Is it safe to fly ..

anyone flying on beach ?  do you use/carry landing pad ?

Any comments ?
2015-7-12
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

Just to make sure they're ok I would remove the props and idle the drone indoors to make sure its still functional
2015-7-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you get sand in your motors, don't blast air into motors immediately as this will lodge further more.
First thing you should do is hold the phantom upside down and use your fingers to turn the motors. Gravity will help the sand come out. Once you've done that, then you can use a vacuum and finally an air compressor.
2015-7-12
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks for the tips guys....

I turn on the motors indoor (no props) and push throttle full all directions... Seems to be fine with no abnormal nosie... Of course after i vacuumed...Flight test later...

2015-7-12
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

yes.. working 100%...

But I flipped again on the grasses... and one motor got something since its not smooth as the rest... vacuum again and OK

I used to do manual landing w/o flipping it...

Maybe I will try auto land..

I also want to do holding it on air... but I dont think I can do CSC while holding the p3..

Any good advise?
2015-7-13
Use props
Vampiszon
lvl.2

Belgium

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-13 18:58
yes.. working 100%...

But I flipped again on the grasses... and one motor got something since its n ...

Yes, Stop using CSC.
Always stop the motors by holding the joystick down for 2-3 seconds after landing.
You will avoid flipping on the ground OR you can hand catch if you want because you will only need one hand to stop the motors.
2015-7-13
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

OMG... Thats it.. I FORGET ABOUT THIS 3 SEC LEFT STICK DOWN !!!

2015-7-13
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Read your post yesterday, but didn't have anything to add beyond what others had already posted. Then, ironically, I watched a FliteTest video on YouTube last night.

The crew from FliteTest were flying on the beach. Peter was pointing out that, even if you don't land a float plane in the salt water, flying on/near the beach exposes everything to the salt air, which is very corrosive. After flying, he rinsed the plane (NOT THE ELECTRONICS!) with distilled water. In the case of no distilled water, you can use fresh water - the key is getting rid of the salt that has collected.

As a further demonstration, he dumped sand from the beach directly into one of the motors (he was flying a twin-engine plane). Again, using distilled water, he thoroughly rinsed everything he could get out of the motor, spun the prop, heard a little bit of "grit" still there and rinsed some more until he was convinced he had evacuated the area of sand.

Go to YouTube and Google "Flite Test: Flying on the Beach" and you should be able to find that same video. There were several points that could apply to our Phantoms as well as planes.
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules