UK Fliers how many of you are taking / taken the A2 C of C Exam?
1018 8 2021-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a quick check to see how many of the UK fliers are, or have taken the A2 Certificate of Competence Exam?
Just started the course with Matt Williams of the UAV Hub and wondered who else?
(https://www.uavhub.com/products/ ... icate-of-competency)

Thanks,

Chris
Single SelectVote, Total 3 people participate in voting
33.33% (1)
66.67% (2)
0.00% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2021-3-12
Use props
mattjuk47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38399 ft

United Kingdom

I am waiting to take my exam through https://coptrz.com/about-us/

It was £49.00 plus VAT, I did the 4 main modules on line at my own pace, I am going through the final 5th module which a recap, i then need to do 4hrs of flying POST starting the course.
I have been flying large scale model turbine helicopters for the past 20yrs so the flying part hasn't been daunting.. and is straight forward.

But one thing to bear in mind - after 2022 all our aircraft will become legacy aircraft and can only been flown in the A3 open category whether we have done the A2CoFC or not, unless DJI do a firmware fix which enables our drones to become CE certified by having a low flight speed mode.. But on a fixed pitch machine without having larger props and a complete redesign of the 4 arms to allow for larger props I am not sure how this will be accomplished, unless they make wider chord blades.. I guess all our aircraft from a business point of view will become legacy forcing us all to upgrade unless we can keep the 150meters away from anything or anything which the A3 open category demands.
2021-3-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should there be a not bothing option?
2021-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mattjuk47 Posted at 3-12 11:59

It was £49.00 plus VAT, I did the 4 main modules on line at my own pace, I am going through the final 5th module which a recap, i then need to do 4hrs of flying POST starting the course.

A firmware fix alone cannot fix change the classification, under the current rules you would have to return the drone to the manufacture for the work to be done, if they offer it of course.
2021-3-13
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 01:18
Should there be a not bothing option?

Pahaha looks like it!
2021-3-13
Use props
Rick448
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mattjuk47 Posted at 3-12 11:59

It was £49.00 plus VAT, I did the 4 main modules on line at my own pace, I am going through the final 5th module which a recap, i then need to do 4hrs of flying POST starting the course.

I am pretty much doing the same as you, I am awaiting delivery of my Air 2 and have started the A2COC and am on Module 3 at present.
2021-3-13
Use props
mattjuk47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38399 ft

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 01:19
A firmware fix alone cannot fix change the classification, under the current rules you would have to return the drone to the manufacture for the work to be done, if they offer it of course.

Thanks for that info, I was unaware of that, i thought it could be a software fix and wider chord props, as you said if they give that option, but if i was running a business i am sure it would be more beneficial commercially to get everyone to upgrade with a new model..

As i am not flying commercially and have no interest in doing so I will  just stick to flying in the middle of no where.
2021-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mattjuk47 Posted at 3-13 12:25
Thanks for that info, I was unaware of that, i thought it could be a software fix and wider chord props, as you said if they give that option, but if i was running a business i am sure it would be more beneficial commercially to get everyone to upgrade with a new model..

As i am not flying commercially and have no interest in doing so I will  just stick to flying in the middle of no where.

I bought a Mini 2 last week to take advantage of the loop hole of it not being classified,   without classification it falls into the legacy <250g category which can almost fly anywhere (NFZ and crowds are the exception). With classification they look at the MTOM weight and this will then exceed that and will drop a category.   That and the M2P should give some great flexibility. The other benefit is now under the rules you can sell your work or services without needing to sit any exams.
2021-3-14
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did my A2CofC in Nov 2020 - to allow better use of my M2Z. Did the course/exam with UAVHub which I can fully recommend.
2021-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules