Front right motor spins backwards
3934 17 2021-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burndog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36 ft
United States

Unfortunately my maiden flight revealed the front motor spinning backward. Checked props, changed props, and retested. ESC shows wires properly matching board notations of color.
Wrong motor or miswired at the motor?

Is there a programtic way to solve this?

2021-3-14
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

what do you mean it's spinning backwards? the front right motor should be spinning clockwise (so that the propellor spins away from the camera). send a pic or video of the issue
2021-3-14
Use props
Burndog
lvl.1
United States

Here is a link to a video that shows the problem.
https://www.facebook.com/100000159083535/videos/pcb.1065038207314558/4439384776076781

It's easy to understand when the drone is running and you put your hands over the props. Three are pushing air down as they should and the errant motor is pushing air up, which of course shows how it is spinning backwards.
2021-3-14
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Burndog Posted at 3-14 16:07
https://www.facebook.com/100000159083535/videos/pcb.1065038207314558/4439384776076781

They must have assembled yours on a Friday just before five o'clock.
I'm seeing a lot of people with issues. I hope they straighten out all of the bugs.
2021-3-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Burndog. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this issue is happening on your DJI FPV. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to be able to assist you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-3-14
Use props
Burndog
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-14 20:19
Hello there Burndog. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this issue is happening on your DJI FPV. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to be able to assist you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Yes, I have contacted Support and await their reply.  Hopefully this is software related and I can do a full reset to sort the issue rather than sending it back and waiting for repair.
2021-3-15
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

There is no such a think as wrong motors. The direction of rotation can been determent in two way s on a brushless motor 1. by changing the order of two of the three wires where the motor gets it's power from or 2. telling certain ESC to propel the motor the other direction. In the first case you need to de-solder two of the three wires from the ESC and swap them around. This will change the direction of rotation.  In the second case you need to be able to change setting of the ESC which is responsible of the motor with wrong rotation. The current software does not support changing of rotation and I can imagine that those who ware able to do it received the quads with either beta firmware or test firmware. It is alo possible that some people changed the direction by accident and updated the software afterwards which disabled the option.For those who know how the soldering iron works just perform as described here above or goggle for "changing brushless motor direction"... (picture borrowed from Burndog)

2021-3-15
Use props
Burndog
lvl.1
United States

tomekyo Posted at 3-15 09:14
There is no such a think as wrong motors. The direction of rotation can been determent in two way s on a brushless motor 1. by changing the order of two of the three wires where the motor gets it's power from or 2. telling certain ESC to propel the motor the other direction. In the first case you need to de-solder two of the three wires from the ESC and swap them around. This will change the direction of rotation.  In the second case you need to be able to change setting of the ESC which is responsible of the motor with wrong rotation. The current software does not support changing of rotation and I can imagine that those who ware able to do it received the quads with either beta firmware or test firmware. It is alo possible that some people changed the direction by accident and updated the software afterwards which disabled the option.For those who know how the soldering iron works just perform as described here above or goggle for "changing brushless motor direction"... (picture borrowed from Burndog)

[view_image]

You are correct in your description. The only thing that has me not re-soldering is in case this is purely software and related to the different modes. For instance, in R and S it may be programmed one way and then in Manual, it may be another. Resoldering would cause issues later.
2021-3-15
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

Burndog Posted at 3-15 09:32
You are correct in your description. The only thing that has me not re-soldering is in case this is purely software and related to the different modes. For instance, in R and S it may be programmed one way and then in Manual, it may be another. Resoldering would cause issues later.

The software responsible for motor direction is only related to the ESC and cannot be changed, while changing flight modes. What I described are only two ways to change the rotation and you can chose which one suits your needs. If you want to wait for DJI support to help you - have fun. Otherwise I guarantee you the solution. In case you're not sure about your soldering skills - skip my advice indeed.
2021-3-15
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The choice is certainly yours but my advice is let DJI fix this issue.
If you alter the drone and something goes horribly wrong it will be 100% on you and you will be liable.
Not telling you what to do just some friendly advice.
2021-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Burndog Posted at 3-15 07:36
Yes, I have contacted Support and await their reply.  Hopefully this is software related and I can do a full reset to sort the issue rather than sending it back and waiting for repair.

Hi there Burndog. Thank you for the reply and for contacting our DJI support team. Please keep us posted for further assistance and if you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.
2021-3-16
Use props
John Lundy
New

United States

Question.

I just purchased my dji fpv. For some reason I cannot get it to take off. I turn everything on...  I start the motors using my motion controller but when I initiate take off the propellors spin faster but no lift.

Also how do I change the direction of the propellors. Maybe thats an issue. Cant figure it out.
2021-3-21
Use props
John Lundy
New

United States

Question.

I just purchased my dji fpv. For some reason I cannot get it to take off. I turn everything on...  I start the motors using my motion controller but when I initiate take off the propellors spin faster but no lift.

Also how do I change the direction of the propellors. Maybe thats an issue. Cant figure it out.
2021-3-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

John Lundy Posted at 3-21 09:34
Question.

I just purchased my dji fpv. For some reason I cannot get it to take off. I turn everything on...  I start the motors using my motion controller but when I initiate take off the propellors spin faster but no lift.

Have you tried using the regular controller?
2021-3-21
Use props
Jameskuz
New

United States

I'm having the same issue, the FPV drove will not take off. I triple checked I have the correct props on each motor. The motors are spinning backwards. I went into every single menu option. Did a reset and setup again. No luck. This is very disappointing for a device at this price.
Short video of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXKzPdpVPBg
2021-4-16
Use props
Burndog
lvl.1
United States

Jameskuz Posted at 4-16 20:23
I'm having the same issue, the FPV drove will not take off. I triple checked I have the correct props on each motor. The motors are spinning backwards. I went into every single menu option. Did a reset and setup again. No luck. This is very disappointing for a device at this price.
Short video of the issue.

Send it back and after a short while they will send you a new one.
2021-4-17
Use props
djiuser_1bLwaUH5cb0L
New

Australia

Hi my dji spark propellers are rotating in wrong direction after doing a IMU recalibration any assistance would be great... problem solved ... when i put propellers back on i wasnt paying attention and didnt notice markings so had them on wrong motor
2023-5-17
Use props
djiuser_1bLwaUH5cb0L
New

Australia

Hi my dji spark propellers are rotating in wrong direction after doing a IMU recalibration any assistance would be great. Regards Allan
2023-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules