Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
STOP/START mid air cut out!
12Next >
14105 70 2021-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PAYBACK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

How can DJI in all thier wisdom allow for accidenmtall press of START/STOP button on FPV in mid flight which in turn cuts motors? Happened to this guy recenlty trying to switch PHOTO/VIDEO mode. I'm sure he wont be the last.

2021-3-15
Use props
maihem.rc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch, that hurt to watch.
2021-3-15
Use props
aSae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Poland

From the manual:
Start/Stop button: When in Manual mode, press twice to start or to stop the motor.
Shutter/Record button: ... Press and hold to switch between photo and video mode.

I agree the start/stop could have a better (non-accidentally pressed) location, but if the guy intended to change between photo and video, wouldn't he supposedly press and hold (which is the correct input for shutter/record button and shouldn't activate to motor stop because its the wrong input for the start/stop button). And since the motor stop, means that this start/stop button was pressed twice... or not? Mine is still in transit, but it would be interesting to test (of course not in-flight ) that if the press and hold also works the same as pressing twice to that start/stop button. If it turns out yes, then it could be a bug...
2021-3-15
Use props
tomekyo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

I am pretty sure there is an option to disable it in the menu and I can imagine many scenarios when you'd want your motors to be switched off.
2021-3-15
Use props
sskom
Flight distance : 206132 ft
Ukraine

I tested Emergency Propeller Stop OFF in Safety Menu. Unfortunately, the double press START/STOP button keeps shutdowns motors in manual flight.

DJI, please, give a possibility to switch this feature switch off in the menu. The button can be hit too easily.
2021-3-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is not good at all and is both dangerous and expensive
2021-3-21
Use props
Winkle
lvl.3
Canada

Don't you have to have the left stick pulled down (in Mode 2) then double-tap start/stop button for motors to shut off?
2021-3-21
Use props
sskom
Ukraine

Winkle Posted at 3-21 06:39
Don't you have to have the left stick pulled down (in Mode 2) then double-tap start/stop button for motors to shut off?

No. In any stick position double click and the drone is on the ground.
2021-3-21
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel bad for the guy, but pretty much every FPV flyer on the planet has accidentally disarmed the motors in flight.  Its the nature of FPV flight.  Because you crash all of the time flying in acro, there always needs to be a kill switch so you don't burn out your motors after it crashes.  On traditional FPV controllers, to arm the motors you flip an A/B switch to start the motors and then flip that switch back to disarm.  DJI chose to go with a double tap button instead of the A/B switch.  It can be an expensive or time consuming lesson, but if you can't afford to crash it, probably shouldn't fly it.  Cheers!
2021-3-21
Use props
yv63s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1230404 ft
Canada

Same happened to me today. Now my DJI drone is somewhere at the bottom of the lake. Altitude was around 80m I was trying to switch them back on but it happened so fast I hope dji will prevent this in future, at least add possibility to toogle some confirmation in settings before motors goes off
2021-4-4
Use props
PAYBACK
Second Officer
South Africa

yv63s Posted at 4-4 17:44
Same happened to me today. Now my DJI drone is somewhere at the bottom of the lake. Altitude was around 80m I was trying to switch them back on but it happened so fast I hope dji will prevent this in future, at least add possibility to toogle some confirmation in settings before motors goes off

Sorry to hear that man.
2021-4-5
Use props
bradbrok
Flight distance : 1480112 ft
United States

Does anyone read the manual before going into Manual mode?
2021-4-5
Use props
Whoreable
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

Anyone who broke the drone doing this, not DJI fault you are being dumb. First of all, its a double tap, so what action were you trying to emulate? Nothing else uses double tap on the controller, its all Push and hold or single press......

2021-4-5
Use props
Rob_G
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56732 ft
Canada

Whoreable Posted at 4-5 11:38
Anyone who broke the drone doing this, not DJI fault you are being dumb. First of all, its a double tap, so what action were you trying to emulate? Nothing else uses double tap on the controller, its all Push and hold or single press......

People are not being dumb, accidents simply happen.  I would agree that a simple double tap of a button is a bit too easy to happen, especially when you can't visually see the button you are pressing.  

Rob
2021-4-6
Use props
yv63s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1230404 ft
Canada

Whoreable Posted at 4-5 11:38
Anyone who broke the drone doing this, not DJI fault you are being dumb. First of all, its a double tap, so what action were you trying to emulate? Nothing else uses double tap on the controller, its all Push and hold or single press......

What you are saying is dumb.
I agree for experience people that may sound like this, and yes all read manuals.

But who get used to fly without googles and see buttons its hard to get used to flying with FPV googles.

And DJI was pushing this products for beginners and not experience FPV pilots.
My opinion that this will be fixed in future as this is very easy mistake that can be done with such buttons positioning.

I know that this is double click and not hold the button, but when you are flying and try to switch you may forgot all that mapping and try double tapping on wrong button.

Such button should be a dedicated in safe place.
I was budding FPV drones before in on remote I had buttons far away from others to disarm drone.
So you can not accidentally shut it down.
2021-4-6
Use props
sskom
Ukraine

One more question. Why one may need shut motors in the air? If you are not in the tree (where props are blocked by branches) is there any situation when you want to stop motors?
2021-4-7
Use props
PAYBACK
Second Officer
South Africa

sskom Posted at 4-7 03:23
One more question. Why one may need shut motors in the air? If you are not in the tree (where props are blocked by branches) is there any situation when you want to stop motors?

Ignoring the "bright sparks" that have sounded off on the post. There should be a CONFIRMATION informing you that you are about to SHUT OFF MOTORS. Plain and simple.
2021-4-8
Use props
sskom
Ukraine

For example: when you hit twice the button screen shows "Shutting off the motors in the air! Press twice again" or something like that. But simple double press is too risky combination.
2021-4-9
Use props
Rob_G
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56732 ft
Canada

sskom Posted at 4-9 00:04
For example: when you hit twice the button screen shows "Shutting off the motors in the air! Press twice again" or something like that. But simple double press is too risky combination.

The double press is probably meant for an emergency where you basically need to turn the drone off NOW, instead of 5 seconds from now after going through some confirmation process.  Requiring joystick input as well sounds like the most logical way to make it more secure from accidental triggering.  That can still be fairly instant too.

Rob
2021-4-9
Use props
FrootWhoopz
First Officer
Flight distance : 75007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How about making it a triple press to turn off.
Has anyone tried turning them on after they switch off, could that be done quick enough to save the drone?
2021-4-10
Use props
Pajomota
Second Officer
Flight distance : 710197 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

sskom Posted at 3-21 00:14
I tested Emergency Propeller Stop OFF in Safety Menu. Unfortunately, the double press START/STOP button keeps shutdowns motors in manual flight.

DJI, please, give a possibility to switch this feature switch off in the menu. The button can be hit too easily.

Thanks for that info. I switched it off in the menu thinking it would disable the "stop the motors" function.
2021-4-11
Use props
Pajomota
Second Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

Winkle Posted at 3-21 06:39

No. Where did you see that?
2021-4-11
Use props
Pajomota
Second Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

KlooGee Posted at 3-21 08:06
I feel bad for the guy, but pretty much every FPV flyer on the planet has accidentally disarmed the motors in flight.  Its the nature of FPV flight.  Because you crash all of the time flying in acro, there always needs to be a kill switch so you don't burn out your motors after it crashes.  On traditional FPV controllers, to arm the motors you flip an A/B switch to start the motors and then flip that switch back to disarm.  DJI chose to go with a double tap button instead of the A/B switch.  It can be an expensive or time consuming lesson, but if you can't afford to crash it, probably shouldn't fly it.  Cheers!

If you can’t afford to crash it????
2021-4-11
Use props
FrootWhoopz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sskom Posted at 3-21 00:14

I think that option in the menu is to be able to shut off motors with specific stick movements mid flight.
2021-4-11
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pajomota Posted at 4-11 07:16
If you can’t afford to crash it????

Probably shouldn't buy it if you can't afford to to crash it.
2021-4-11
Use props
bluesgeek
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1241486 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 4-11 18:33
Probably shouldn't buy it if you can't afford to to crash it.

Perhaps a firmware update to require short-long press on the start/stop button for a kill. That's how we start and stop packs, controllers, etc.

It further adds to operator confusion that the button controls a different function in sports and normal modes (cancel low-battery RTH), and yet another in sport mode (cruise control). This opens the possibility that an operator, especially a new one, may become confused abut the use of the button.

None of this is helped by the fact that the Pause/RTH button has two functions depending upon the aircraft status (breaking in any mode and cancel RTH to brake in normal or sports mode).

This leads to a question: I haven't tried to evaluate the kill process. How far apart do the double taps have to be?

IMO, DJI should have added a separate kill button, positioned perhaps directly under the antenna hinge.

(Suggestion for all operators new to this drone: Review page 42 of the manual, which covers these buttons, before every flight until all confusion is eliminated.)
2021-4-12
Use props
SeriousFox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15961 ft
South Korea

The same thing happened to me last weekend. Luckily the drone landed on a bush and it was at a relatively low altitude.

Although the drone was intact, It cost me a fancy pair of pants.
2021-4-12
Use props
djiuser_nP0QiS4kWJ4Q
lvl.1

United States

Mine did the same today double tap to take picture and accidentally tapped stop start with disabled option for engine emergency stop. Drone fell like a rock to the ground and could not activate the motors. This is wrong on dji to allow that with disabled option. Failsafe didn't work.
2021-4-16
Use props
Duane Degn
First Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

A FPV drone flying in acro mode needs a way to quickly disarm the motors. If you had to verify you really meant to kill the motors, it would likely have already been too late to avoid the extra damage caused by having the motors powered on after a crash.
I feel bad for people who lost their drones because of this feature but it's a necessary feature and DJI was right to include it.

At 8:04 in this video, Andy RC explains why it's needed.

2021-4-16
Use props
Pajomota
Second Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

FrootWhoopz Posted at 4-11 15:17
I think that option in the menu is to be able to shut off motors with specific stick movements mid flight.

Yes, that is true.
2021-4-18
Use props
glides
lvl.1
Flight distance : 279203 ft
United States

FrootWhoopz Posted at 4-11 15:17

I can see a lot more quads falling from the sky by accidentally hitting that position in manual mode. Buttons make more sense IMO for disarming in manual mode - that's actually the reason it's different than normal/sport.
2021-4-19
Use props
glides
lvl.1
Flight distance : 279203 ft
United States

In the sim you can re-arm the quad simply by double pressing again. If anyone wants to be brave and test it outside of the sim.
2021-4-19
Use props
FrootWhoopz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

glides Posted at 4-19 11:21
In the sim you can re-arm the quad simply by double pressing again. If anyone wants to be brave and test it outside of the sim.

lol, I was tempted to try but its a big risk, I suppose if its high enough then it should be fine.
2021-4-20
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

that whole concept is just wrong.
there needs to be a disarm SWITCH. plain and simple.

you really need to have a fast way to disarm any acrobatic quad in the air.
too fast you end up flying towards people, or get into a situation where it is much more logical to just dump the drone than to chop someones face off!

this needs to be fixed, but in the other way than some propose here.
2021-4-21
Use props
sbarton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

The double tap start/stop button to kill the motors is such a bad idea.  I get that there needs to be a way to shut them off quickly in an emergency, but DJI needs to make sure it can't be done accidently.  There are several other functions that use a double tap, that when wearing goggles and in the heat of the moment, double tapping the wrong button is WAY too easy (as can be seen by posts above).  Need to make it a triple tap (no other function has a triple tap).  Or make it so that this feature can be disabled.  Or make it so that the throttle has to be fully downward when you double tap for it to kill the motors as moving the throttle to zero would be an immediate reaction anyway in a scenario when one would want to kill the motors.  
2021-4-21
Use props
FrootWhoopz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best way imo would be if the customisable switch was a on/off switch that would disarm, its too late for that but if they give us the option of disabling the button and moving it to the switch thats at least something. A switch would be a much more reliable way to do it too, much less chance of the command failing.
2021-4-21
Use props
Avronaut
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53996 ft
Germany

As soon as you have a little more experience with real FPV, you will understand that it makes sense to be able to switch off the motors quickly and safely at any time. If the drone flies into a tree, for example, you certainly don't want it to mill its way down to the ground. It is part of the training to be able to operate the remote controller purposefully and blindly. If you don't know how to do this, you should continue to train on the sim. The racer in manual mode should be safely mastered so that nobody is endangered.
2021-4-22
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
Second Officer

Greece

Avronaut Posted at 4-22 01:19
As soon as you have a little more experience with real FPV, you will understand that it makes sense to be able to switch off the motors quickly and safely at any time. If the drone flies into a tree, for example, you certainly don't want it to mill its way down to the ground. It is part of the training to be able to operate the remote controller purposefully and blindly. If you don't know how to do this, you should continue to train on the sim. The racer in manual mode should be safely mastered so that nobody is endangered.

I totally agree with you.
In addition 'double tap' is only used for this action. No other function uses double tap (except C1 button which is on the front)
2021-4-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OMG....Straight onto the tarmac road. I actually cringed as you did it. How much damage to the drone.....
2021-4-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_nP0QiS4kWJ4Q Posted at 4-16 16:58
Mine did the same today double tap to take picture and accidentally tapped stop start with disabled option for engine emergency stop. Drone fell like a rock to the ground and could not activate the motors. This is wrong on dji to allow that with disabled option. Failsafe didn't work.

I'm OK as my double tap doesn't seem to work at all.....
2021-4-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules