Altitude limitations?
5188 17 2021-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

Reading through these posts, someone noted that there is a 500m altitude limit above the launch point.  If so, is this a limit that can be changed?  
I'm planning to get a DJI FPV and would likely fly in the Colorado mountains most of the time.  

There would be lots of times where I'd like to fly well over 500m above my launch altitude.  

My launch altitude will almost always be over 7000-9000 ft (2200m) but I'd be flying around 14,000 ft (4270m) mountains

2021-3-22
Use props
Winkle
lvl.2
Canada

No, you can't change it. The FPV Drone is geo-fenced.
2021-3-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steelart99. Good day and thank you for these information you have posted. In addition to this I will post a DJI link where in you can check if the said location where in you want to fly is a No Fly Zone ( NFZ ) or the said location is free to fly  your DJI Drone. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2021-3-22
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for the clarification!
2021-3-23
Use props
MCWH7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-22 21:06
Hello there Steelart99. Good day and thank you for these information you have posted. In addition to this I will post a DJI link where in you can check if the said location where in you want to fly is a No Fly Zone ( NFZ ) or the said location is free to fly  your DJI Drone. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

This isn't a question of geofencing or no-fly zones. This is a major limitation of DJI hardware. We live in Colorado and the best places to fly are in the mountains. We can legally fly up to 400' above the ground level, but the maximum altitude limitation of 500 meters SEVERLY limits our ability to get awesome shots from mountains that are higher than 500m above the takeoff point. This is a major problem for those of us that fly in the mountains.
2021-3-23
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MCWH7 Posted at 3-23 07:38
This isn't a question of geofencing or no-fly zones. This is a major limitation of DJI hardware. We live in Colorado and the best places to fly are in the mountains. We can legally fly up to 400' above the ground level, but the maximum altitude limitation of 500 meters SEVERLY limits our ability to get awesome shots from mountains that are higher than 500m above the takeoff point. This is a major problem for those of us that fly in the mountains.

The only rationale I can think of for the hard height limit is to limit the hazard in case of a flyaway. A flyaway without a height limit can go to the moon...
But this has been in DJI aircraft more or less forever, so it's always been a limitation we've had to deal with.

And that's why, for mountain surfing, if I ever get the chance, I'd only ever use one of my conventional FPV drones. No way I'm going to climb halfway up a mountain just to be able to dive from the summit..
2021-3-23
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

MCWH7 Posted at 3-23 07:38

Yep ... you understand the genesis of my question.  
2021-3-23
Use props
djiuser_DFphaGtT02vl
New
Flight distance : 106483 ft

India

Why is my drone restricted to only 15 meters of height?
I am not even close to airport.
And previously I have flown around 230 meters also but now I can't take it above 15 meters any where.
I tried in another location that's far approximately 60 kilometres far from airport also. Please assist what should I do?
2021-3-26
Use props
MCWH7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_DFphaGtT02vl Posted at 3-26 04:42
Why is my drone restricted to only 15 meters of height?
I am not even close to airport.
And previously I have flown around 230 meters also but now I can't take it above 15 meters any where.

Have your phone connected and running the Fly app
2021-3-26
Use props
Stepir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42589 ft
Italy

+1 here

hope it will be considered ways of removing the limitation in certain conditions.

Bought the FPV mostly for flying on mountains...
2021-3-26
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456188 ft
Canada

I have the same problem here in BC (Canada). There are several rock faces I would like to fly around - and when within 400' of these faces, I am allowed to come up to 400' AGL of the peak. Unfortunatly, I can't fly to the top of these due to the 500m limit. Additionally the drone freaks out when I launch from the top but fly out over the cliff edge. I don't disagree that having this limit is valuable for most pilots - but there should be a way to disable this. This feature severely restricts my ability to use this drone.
2022-8-29
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

drone-hacks . com  spend $40 and get unlimited height, no NFZ zones and much more. Yes you can fly to 5k or more in colorado, download now!
2022-8-29
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456188 ft
Canada

mifish Posted at 8-29 07:29
I have the same problem here in BC (Canada). There are several rock faces I would like to fly around - and when within 400' of these faces, I am allowed to come up to 400' AGL of the peak. Unfortunatly, I can't fly to the top of these due to the 500m limit. Additionally the drone freaks out when I launch from the top but fly out over the cliff edge. I don't disagree that having this limit is valuable for most pilots - but there should be a way to disable this. This feature severely restricts my ability to use this drone.

In a different thread I was able to find a link were you can apply to have these settings disabled. See https://www.dji.com/ca/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav for more information.  ( DJI's process worked for me and I was able to get up and running a few hours later. )
2022-8-29
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

I fly my FPV in a canyon, and as far as I know, there's no way to alter that limit. DJI nannyism! The restriction probably helps in some non-USA locations, but in the USA, it's just an annoyance. And it most certainly is that. Hopefully in the future, DJI will put a little more work into different versions of SW/FW for US and non-US locations. In the USA, there's no good reason for "hard-wired" restrictions beyond what the FAA requires.
2022-8-30
Use props
FlyLow
lvl.3
Switzerland

Chaosrider Posted at 8-30 06:43
I fly my FPV in a canyon, and as far as I know, there's no way to alter that limit. DJI nannyism! The restriction probably helps in some non-USA locations, but in the USA, it's just an annoyance. And it most certainly is that. Hopefully in the future, DJI will put a little more work into different versions of SW/FW for US and non-US locations. In the USA, there's no good reason for "hard-wired" restrictions beyond what the FAA requires.

On the other hand, their limit is well above the limit in most countries (120m from the surface in the EU even less with uninvolved persons or in urban areas). Luckily there are hacks...
2022-8-30
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

Drone Hack worked great for me. I've flown 2000 ft. above the launch point from a remote high mountain valley that was at 13,000 ft.  Fun!
2022-8-31
Use props
jfbond
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1240538 ft
Ireland

MCWH7 Posted at 2021-3-23 07:38

In the EU the legal limit is 400ft from earth surface.

If you are on a flat terrain, that means 400ft altitude. But if you come near a mountain then it is 400 ft from the nearest point to the mountain meaning you can fly up to the top of it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was not aware of a hardware limitation and I would hope that DJI releases a firmware that allows to fly up to the legal limitations I have described.
2022-8-31
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

FlyLow Posted at 8-30 09:23
On the other hand, their limit is well above the limit in most countries (120m from the surface in the EU even less with uninvolved persons or in urban areas). Luckily there are hacks...

Limits that aren't required by the FAA, DJI shouldn't impose for drones flown in the USA.

The things know where they are when flying, after all...

TCS
2022-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules