FAA Registration
12Next >
9473 54 2015-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mkkernan
New

United States

I sent in a Request #165731 to the support desk and have received no answer, so I will try here...
I am applying for FAA Registration of my Phantom 3 Pro(date code CD211920153127, craft S/N P76DCD18010444) and require a statementthat the drone is not registered in another Country. Have you all provided onefor others in similar circumstance? If not, can you direct me to theappropriate Civil Aviation Authority where I might be able to verify? Basicallyit is a statement that the drone was manufactured in a specific country anddirectly exported, never registered in the Country of origin.
FAA Registration requirement - Confirmation the sUA is not registered in another country. Whena sUA is purchased from a manufacturer or seller located in another country itis considered an import. This requires a statement from the Civil AviationAuthority of the exporting country confirming that the registration of the sUAin that country has been canceled or that the sUA was never issued registrationby that country.
Has anyone one else registered their Phantom 3 and were you able to get a confirmation or did you just provide a statement to the effet it was a new in box item that has never been registered in anoother Countyr?
And yes I even got a request from the help desk on asking for feedback on how well they did not answering my request...... makes you wonder!
Regards,
MKKERNAN

2015-7-14
Use props
gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

Why are you registering your P3?
2015-7-14
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599432 ft
  • >>>

I sent in a request for exemption, and was emailed back confirming my request was received, but I haven't had a word back yet on if it was approved or denied. Rules state it may take 120 days for review.
2015-7-14
Use props
mkkernan
New

United States

gatorone30@hotm Posted at 2015-7-15 03:45
Why are you registering your P3?

I am working thru the 333 Exemption process so I can use it commercially here in the US.
2015-7-14
Use props
mkkernan
New

United States

chris17house Posted at 2015-7-15 03:50
I sent in a request for exemption, and was emailed back confirming my request was received, but I ha ...

Did you register your Drone yet and get a "N" number assigned?
2015-7-14
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are all you guys pilots to be exempted thru the 333?
2015-7-14
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are all of you guys pilots to be exempted through the 333?
2015-7-14
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

From what I understand from reading pages upon pages is that you do not need to be a pilot to be exempted through the 333. But you do have to register and get a "N" number and put it on your Phantom.
You need a 333 only if you are going to use the Phantom for commercial use.
2015-7-15
Use props
raiedzeidan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 755033 ft
  • >>>
United States

YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT. The exempt clearly states A PIC (Pilot in Control) must still carry a minimum of a sports or private Pilots license) and a driver license. You can file for a 333 all day long but unless you have a PIC you can still get hit with a FINE if they catch you flying without one. Then what? You just wasted all that time and now they have your information for no reason.

Do what everyone else is doing. Don't ask don't tell, Charge for Editing or charge for ground pictures and include Aerial Shots for free.
2015-7-15
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

raiedzeidan@gma Posted at 2015-7-15 20:06
YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT. The exempt clearly states A PIC (Pilot in Co ...

If I understand correctly, the FAA "rules" include the words "furtherance of a business" so including free aerial shots with a commercial package would still be a violation.

Flying a drone for fun is a hobby.  Flying the exact same drone the exact same way for $.01 is commercial.
2015-7-15
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

raiedzeidan@gma Posted at 2015-7-15 20:06
YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT I REPEAT YOU HAVE TO BE A PILOT. The exempt clearly states A PIC (Pilot in Co ...

This is true. We just enrolled one of our photographers in pilot school. This will probably change in couple of years, but for now at least, if you want to be legal, and fly commercially, you'll need to get at least a sports pilots license in addition to the 333.
2015-7-15
Use props
ciminojim
lvl.1

United States

Basically the 333 is an exemption that will allow a non-pilot to fly an aircraft for commercial use.  If you are a commercial pilot you should not need the exemption since we are allowed to fly a registered aircraft for commercial purposes already.  I am trying to register mine for commercial use and am a commercial pilot.  I know of one real estate professional who did get the exemption and IS NOT a pilot of any type.  Also, PIC stands for Pilot in Command.
2015-7-15
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

ciminojim@hotma Posted at 2015-7-16 04:30
Basically the 333 is an exemption that will allow a non-pilot to fly an aircraft for commercial use. ...

You are right !
2015-7-15
Use props
TAZ
lvl.2

United States

Basically the 333 is an exemption that will allow a non-pilot to fly an aircraft for commercial use. ...

Unfortunately, you are not accurate in your statement   A 333 exemption itself can be issued to anyone, individual and business alike.  However all this does is allow the entitiy to operate under the exact conditions specified on a case by case basis of the specific 333 exemption, and ALL 333 exemptions conditions require the PIC to hold a sports pilot or greater certification, and a valid drivers license.

In addition, the 333 exemption specifically states the UAS model you are allowed to fly, and exempts that specific aircraft from other regulations, including Marking Size, Airworthyness requirements, etc.  Without these exemptions, no UAS used for other than hobby/recreation purposes could fly in the NAS.

You can read the actual detailed information about 333 exemptions here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition/media/section333_public_guidance.pdf

Of particulate note is these two paragraphs on page 4:
image.jpg
2015-7-15
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-7-15 19:56
From what I understand from reading pages upon pages is that you do not need to be a pilot to be exe ...

READ THE RULES CAREFULLY. YOU MUST HOLD AN AIRMAN CERTIFICATE TO ACT AS PIC UNDER 333.
2015-7-15
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-7-16 08:07
READ THE RULES CAREFULLY. YOU MUST HOLD AN AIRMAN CERTIFICATE TO ACT AS PIC UNDER 333.

Guess I will just be an Outlaw then.
2015-7-15
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

This thread has gotten a bit out of hand with all the legal opinions being offered for free.  
I have been attempting to register my Phantom 2 Vision+ since May.  I have provided various requested documentation, but as yet have been unable to obtain the certification from DJI that my machine has not been previously registered in another country.  After several requests by both myself and the OK office of FAA, DJI is going to provide what they call a "Certificate of Origin".  I should receive that tomorrow.  I am not expecting to much.
2015-7-16
Use props
ALADRONE
New

United States

Ok, So in looking over the FAA Forms, there is an affidavit of ownership that you have to fill out, have notarized and then file with your Aircraft Registration form. It basically stated that to your knowledge, the aircraft is newly built and not registered in another country. I sent off the forms yesterday, so we will see what happens in a month or so....
I am gonna try and end this thread as I think it is now answered. All the other comments were good, however, if you are gonna fly your drone commercialy, do us all a favor and do it the right way, get the 333 exemption and play by all the rules. It will be better for everyone on the long term best for all of the collective reputations.
2015-7-16
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4

United States

ALADRONE Posted at 2015-7-17 00:49
Ok, So in looking over the FAA Forms, there is an affidavit of ownership that you have to fill out,  ...

Good luck.  That was one of the forms that I submitted also.
2015-7-16
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

ALADRONE Posted at 2015-7-17 00:49
Ok, So in looking over the FAA Forms, there is an affidavit of ownership that you have to fill out,  ...

You CAN NOT "play by the rules" unless you at least have a Sports Pilots license. Anyone can apply for the 333 and probably get it.  BUT- even with the 333 you still have to be a licensed Pilot to fly the drone commercially.  A lot of people think that because you get the 333 exemption, that you automatically are legal to fly commercially and that is NOT true.
2015-7-16
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-17 06:05
You CAN NOT "play by the rules" unless you at least have a Sports Pilots license. Anyone can apply  ...

The 333 exemption language is quite clear when it comes to the required airman certificate. You gotta be at least a sport pilot license holder, no way of getting around that yet.
2015-7-18
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599432 ft
  • >>>
United States

mkkernan Posted at 2015-7-15 04:49

I didn't know i needed to. So we need the N-Number, exemption, and a sports pilot license to take a picture of scenery and sell it to someone? What is the penalty for charging someone and not having a pilots license?
Here is the link to the N-Number form.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_cer ... registry/n_numbers/

2015-7-19
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

"Do what everyone else is doing. Don't ask don't tell, Charge for Editing or charge for ground pictures and include Aerial Shots for free."

Oh come on, do you think the FAA are total idiots? They caught on to this tactic a LONG time ago.

And BTW, "everyone else" is NOT doing this. Many MANY legitimate UAV pilots are complying with the FAA regulations and filing for section 333 exemptions. If you choose to ignore this requirement, that's your call, but suggesting others do likewise is more than a bit irresponsible, IMO.
2015-7-19
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are wrong. Read all the 333 exemptions granted at link below. Currently an FAA 333 requires the PIC to be at a minimum sport pilot licensed.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislati ... 333_authorizations/
2015-7-19
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-7-19 06:03
The 333 exemption language is quite clear when it comes to the required airman certificate. You go ...

YOU ARE CORRECT!
2015-7-19
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

mkkernan Posted at 2015-7-15 04:49

AFTER you receive Sec 333 exemption, you request an N number. If your drone was purchased direct from DJI, it is a pain and a difficult process for the FAA to complete because it was from China.

Luckily, mine was purchased from Dronefly in California, I sent in the receipt WITH Dronefly's US address and sent in paperwork. Everything is good
2015-7-29
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Wrong.

The exemption clearly states:

13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport,
commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a
current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a
state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal
government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate
2015-7-29
Use props
bward6011
New

United States

fwickeha@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-16 23:39
This thread has gotten a bit out of hand with all the legal opinions being offered for free.  
I hav ...

Did you ever get a "Certificate of Origin"?  I have a 333 Exemption and need to register our Phantom 2 with the FAA.  I can't get past step 4..."Confirmation the sUA is not registered in another country".  Gotta love the FAA for thinking that just because the US registers them, anyone else on the planet will...
2015-7-29
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4

United States

bward6011 Posted at 2015-7-30 06:44
Did you ever get a "Certificate of Origin"?  I have a 333 Exemption and need to register our Phant ...

Just received and forwarded a Certificate of origin and a couple of FCC authorizations from DJI.  No response from FAA yet.
2015-7-29
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

bward6011 Posted at 2015-7-30 06:44
Did you ever get a "Certificate of Origin"?  I have a 333 Exemption and need to register our Phant ...

Just call them and end this in 2 minutes- As explained, Where did you purchase drone? If in US, send them the invoice with their address on it - If it is directly from DJI (outside of US) it can take a while to get N number
2015-8-5
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>> If in US, send them the invoice with their address on it

The FAA will not accept a copy of the invoice. You need to get a bill of sale document from every person who sold your Phantom. At the minimum, that means DJI must complete the form.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/form/ac8050-2.pdf

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-5
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-6 04:39
>> If in US, send them the invoice with their address on it

The FAA will not accept a copy of the  ...

I received N number - sent in copy of receipt from DroneFly, so yes you can send that
2015-8-6
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-8-7 05:41
I received N number - sent in copy of receipt from DroneFly, so yes you can send that

Getting an N number is the easy part

Did you register your aircraft too?

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-6
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Looks like a few folks have been approved:  It's (a) Grand! FAA Passes 1,000 UAS Section 333 Exemptions:  333 Exemptions
2015-8-6
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

I'm going through this now.We received our 333 exemption and I've had a pilot's license for 30 years, but have not flown in 29, so I am renewing it now. Yes, you DO need to be a licensed pilot with a class 3 medical (if private license. Sports licenses are a bit different).
And yes, the exemption clearly states the UAS needs to be registered with an N number.
Someone asked what happens if you're not playing by the rules. It looks like the FAA may issue up to a $20,000 fine if you're caught. So, playing by the rules is relatively cheap even if you have to hire a pilot to fly your UAS.

Anyway, back on the topic of registering your UAS.

See paragraph 3. here: (straight from the FAA)
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_cert ... egistry/UA/#SmallUA
Also, you can just call the FAA.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_cert ... raft_certification/

And here's a fellow that went through this ordeal and blogged about it.
http://southernhelicam.com/registering-a-dji-uav-with-the-faa/

Though, it is still not clear, it seems our invoice from Amazon with a notarized note declaring how difficult it is to get any information from DJI in China may be sufficient.

Filling out the registration has to be EXCACT and perfect too. No mistakes, no crossouts, no whiteout.
http://www.ruleaviation.com/forms/8050_1%20how%20to%20do%20it.pdf
I'm trying to figure out how to fill this form out if the company owns the UAS instead of an individual.
I talked to an FAA Registration person today. Very helpful and friendly. Got my application in the mail a few hours later.

2015-8-18
Use props
mgsf
lvl.1

United States

Lyle Posted at 2015-8-19 03:44
I'm going through this now.We received our 333 exemption and I've had a pilot's license for 30 years ...

We may have missed a thread here on the forum with the secret to getting a Bill of Sale (FAA Form AC8050-2) out of DJI (direct) but just an FYI for all purchasing a unit directly from DJI for possible future commercial use...

We just received our letter from a busy FAA Legal Instruments Examiner regarding our registration application.
Along with original AC8050-1 and $5 check, we included a print out of our Order Confirmation from DJI (direct). We dotted our I's and crossed our T's on an Evidence of Ownership affidavit that we included for good measure too.

NO GO.

They still want confirmation of non-registration by the China Civil Aviation Registry.

Dear DJI, you have email with attached AC8050-2 Bill of Sale form we urgently need completed and returned.

2015-8-24
Use props
sww60
lvl.3

United States

Lyle Posted at 2015-8-19 03:44
I'm going through this now.We received our 333 exemption and I've had a pilot's license for 30 years ...

Lyle, what did you list under Aircraft Manufacturer?  DJI, DJI Innovations, or DJI North America???
2015-8-24
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I thought that the FAA has no authority to promulgate airspace below 500ft ??
2015-8-24
Use props
mgsf
lvl.1

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-25 12:28
I thought that the FAA has no authority to promulgate airspace below 500ft ??

Under 49 United States Code 40103, the United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States and the FAA has the authority to prescribe air traffic regulations on the flight of aircraft, including UAS. Whether Federal law preempts state or local requirements for UAS depends on the precise nature of those requirements. The Department of Transportation evaluates these laws or requirements on a case-by-case basis to make sure they don't conflict with FAA's authority to provide safe and efficient use of U.S. airspace.
2015-8-25
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

sww60 Posted at 2015-8-25 07:22
Lyle, what did you list under Aircraft Manufacturer?  DJI, DJI Innovations, or DJI North America?? ...

"DJI North America". I read a blog where "DJI" did not work, but that was when it was "DJI Innovations". Hopefully I will find out one way or another in the next few weeks. I'll try to remember to post my results and a copy of the registration for an example.
2015-8-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules