Mini 2 intelligent batteries aren't self discharging.
123Next >
19186 109 2021-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Live My Journey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have spokent to quite a few mini 2 users and most report that their batteries are not self discharging over time. I have left my batteries untouched for the last 5 days and after inserting each into the darone today I found that two where at 99% and one at 98. According to the manual this should be 96% after one day and 72% after 5 days. What is going on? How soon will they start swelling from being kept fully charged. Are you working on getting this fixed?
2021-3-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Live My Journey. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Kindly let us know where the batteries are stored during that period of time. Are they stored in the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub during idle? If they are, please remove them from the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub and observe them in order to confirm if there's a discharging issue on your batteries.
2021-3-28
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-28 00:30
Hi, Live My Journey. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Kindly let us know where the batteries are stored during that period of time. Are they stored in the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub during idle? If they are, please remove them from the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub and observe them in order to confirm if there's a discharging issue on your batteries.

I'll do that. I have found no mention in manual for the drone or the charging hub that the batteries should not be stored inside. Is that your advise. Are you confirming that the intelligent auto discharge doesn't work whent the batteries are stored in an unplugged 2 way hub?
2021-3-28
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I will be interested to hear their answer to your question too!
2021-3-28
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

I allways leave them in the Two way hub, and they don't discharge, after a week or so they are still at 97-99%

Didn't try to leave them outside the hub though, because it's a bit nonsense as they will use more space in the bag.
2021-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Every time you press the button to read the battery level you are re-setting the battery timer. Leave them alone.
2021-3-28
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-28 15:04
Every time you press the button to read the battery level you are re-setting the battery timer. Leave them alone.

Have you read what my issue was or do you leave same nonsensical comment on every post regarding battery issues?
2021-3-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine (1 battery) also does not auto discharge. And I have left it in the drone without any cable to it for over a week WITHOUT TOUCHING IT.
2021-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Live My Journey Posted at 3-28 15:10
Have you read what my issue was or do you leave same nonsensical comment on every post regarding battery issues?

Scr*w you.
2021-3-28
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-28 21:31
Scr*w you.

About as usefull as your first comment. At least it shows your true intent. If you don't want to help but just feel better about yourself many find a subject you know something about instead of being ignorant?
2021-3-28
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Geebax Posted at 3-28 15:04

Nope, you put the batteries in the Hub, leave them alone for 2 weeks and are still at 97-99%
2021-3-29
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

In my case I had all three batteries kept one month into hub.
The one used to take off was at 90%.
2021-3-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gif2D Posted at 3-29 10:10
In my case I had all three batteries kept one month into hub.
The one used to take off was at 90%.

Unfortunately it's as I feared and mine was not an isolated case. This is really bad for the longevity of our batteries. I hope DJI will address this issue ASAP.
2021-3-29
Use props
tim-eb61
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5714318 ft
United Kingdom

Live My Journey Posted at 3-29 11:17
Unfortunately it's as I feared and mine was not an isolated case. This is really bad for the longevity of our batteries. I hope DJI will address this issue ASAP.

I charged my 3 mini 2 batteries in the Hub on Thursday 25th with a view to flying at the weekend. Weather stopped me from flying. I checked the batteries today to fly and all three showed signs of discharging according to the indicator lights. When I put them in to fly they were showing around 93-95% charge.
2021-3-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can still discharge them manually like we do with the Mini batteries.
2021-3-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 3-29 14:39
You can still discharge them manually like we do with the Mini batteries.

You are missing the point. The batteries feature self discharge feature. This is suppressed by batteries being left in the hub. This is not a feature but a fault. There is no mention of this in the manual of the drone or the hub itself. On the contrary it says the betteties will self discharge to 72% within 5 days if the charging. Most people would assume this will happen as advertised and have their batteries damaged over time by leaving them fully charged.
2021-3-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Live My Journey Posted at 3-29 14:48
You are missing the point. The batteries feature self discharge feature. This is suppressed by batteries being left in the hub. This is not a feature but a fault. There is no mention of this in the manual of the drone or the hub itself. On the contrary it says the betteties will self discharge to 72% within 5 days if the charging. Most people would assume this will happen as advertised and have their batteries damaged over time by leaving them fully charged.

None of the Mavic batteries when left on the charger will automatically discharge. True for other models also. I always leave one MA2 battery attached just to stop the automatic discharge.

If you don't like the helpful suggestion I posted, don't use it.
2021-3-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 3-29 18:55
None of the Mavic batteries when left on the charger will automatically discharge. True for other models also. I always leave one MA2 battery attached just to stop the automatic discharge.

If you don't like the helpful suggestion I posted, don't use it.

You're suggestion comes from lack of knowledge of the subject. This post is not addressed to users and even less to users of other drones like you. It's addressed to the manufacturer. You're suggestion is nonsensical because the batteries used in mini 1 have cells of a different kind and require different maintenance. Mini 2 batteries do have self discharge facility. As it transpires the 2 way hub suppresses this. This is the issue. As you can see your comment is not helpful because the right suggestion untill the hub is somehow fixed would be to remove the batteries from it for storage.
Im 100% certain that m2p batteries left in the hub connected to the charger have been going into storage mode as per usual. I'm 95 percent sure that same is the case for ma2 that I'm also a user of. The Mini 2 Two-way Hub is stopping this from happening regardless of being connected to power.
2021-3-29
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My guess would be because the charging hub is also used as a power bank when the batteries are stored in the hub it shuts off the discharge feature.
DJI did ask if you stored in the hub and if so to remove them from the hub.
This might not be the answer you wanted to hear but it is the answer.

I understand you would prefer to keep the batteries in the hub for a smaller foot print.
You can reverse the batteries in the hub to keep the contacts from connecting to the hub.
They are a tight friction fit due to the the alignment rail in the hub but they will fit.
If the fit seems to tight for you the rail in the hub can be removed, hacked, depending on your skill.

I have an idea of your response to this information but right now it’s kind of the only answer if you want to store the batteries compactly in the hub.
Members were trying to help because they know you will have a long wait for the MFG to make a change to meet your requirements.
2021-3-30
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

Well, as a consequence, now I'm changing the charging time to the day before fly.
2021-3-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gif2D Posted at 3-30 06:05
Well, as a consequence, now I'm changing the charging time to the day before fly.

That's a good way round the problem.
2021-3-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Live My Journey Posted at 3-29 22:46
You're suggestion comes from lack of knowledge of the subject. This post is not addressed to users and even less to users of other drones like you. It's addressed to the manufacturer. You're suggestion is nonsensical because the batteries used in mini 1 have cells of a different kind and require different maintenance. Mini 2 batteries do have self discharge facility. As it transpires the 2 way hub suppresses this. This is the issue. As you can see your comment is not helpful because the right suggestion untill the hub is somehow fixed would be to remove the batteries from it for storage.
Im 100% certain that m2p batteries left in the hub connected to the charger have been going into storage mode as per usual. I'm 95 percent sure that same is the case for ma2 that I'm also a user of. The Mini 2 Two-way Hub is stopping this from happening regardless of being connected to power.

Wrong. Most people want to care for their batteries instead of just waiting for DJI to "fix" the issue ...which may never come. You keep doing nothing in the meanwhile and see what happens.

Every battery supplier suggests doing this for any Lithium type battery:

"Storage Procedure: When not using your LiPo/Li-Ion battery pack, store it at 60% of the pack’s rated capacity. Make sure to cycle your packs at least once per month since leaving them on the shelf for a prolonged period of time can cause the packs to get severely out of balance, puff/swell or even go dead."

"For the longest life of the batteries, LiPos should be stored at room temperature at 3.8V per cell. "

"As long as the voltage is 3.8v per cell, Store your LiPo batteries between 40-60% charge for best longevity."

Stop embarrassing yourself.

2021-3-30
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

That's weird, I haven't touched my drone for 3 months and I left the batteries plugged into the charging hub. Just checked and all of them discharged as expected.
2021-3-30
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 3-30 04:43
My guess would be because the charging hub is also used as a power bank when the batteries are stored in the hub it shuts off the discharge feature.
DJI did ask if you stored in the hub and if so to remove them from the hub.
This might not be the answer you wanted to hear but it is the answer.

You're assumption is incorrect. The hub starts acting as a power bank when you turn it in using the power button. Otherwise it doesn't provide power over the USB. A mini 2 battery left inside of the drone didn't discharge either so the issue runs deeper. I'm an not looking for users to give me tips how to alternatively care for my batteries. I'm looking for the to fix the issue and in the meantime inform other users they they are potentially murdering their batteries.
2021-3-30
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 3-30 18:15
Wrong. Most people want to care for their batteries instead of just waiting for DJI to "fix" the issue ...which may never come. You keep doing nothing in the meanwhile and see what happens.

Every battery supplier suggests doing this for any Lithium type battery:

You are embarrassing yourself. Mini 2 and Mavic Mini use different type of cells. Mini has Li-Ion batteries that require different treatment. They don't have self discharge facility at all. It is recommended to discharge the Intelligent Flight Batteries to 30% or lower. This can be done
by flying the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 30% charge left.
Li-Ion batteries have higher natural (as opposed to built in system) discharge rate and very low swelling.
This is why it's is crucial for LiPo batteries od Mini 2 to actually go through the built in self discharge. They have very low discharge over time and it causes the cells to swell.
Once again you are ignorant but I'm assuming you will continue to embarrass yourself fit further comments so to help you I'll just start ignoring you from now on.
2021-3-30
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 3-30 18:53
That's weird, I haven't touched my drone for 3 months and I left the batteries plugged into the charging hub. Just checked and all of them discharged as expected.

This can indicate one of two things.
Option one; the issue was introduced with a firmware update. Assuming you have not updated for three months.
Option two: the low natural self discharge (as opposed to active storage mode) made the batteries loose charge. That woul be very bad for the cell life. As they swell they'll can brak open the case.
2021-3-30
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Live My Journey Posted at 3-30 22:03
You're assumption is incorrect. The hub starts acting as a power bank when you turn it in using the power button. Otherwise it doesn't provide power over the USB. A mini 2 battery left inside of the drone didn't discharge either so the issue runs deeper. I'm an not looking for users to give me tips how to alternatively care for my batteries. I'm looking for the to fix the issue and in the meantime inform other users they they are potentially murdering their batteries.

OK, thought if the batteries were in the hub it would stop the discharge cycle so you can use it as a power bank when needed/wanted.
No sense, to me,  in having a battery power hub with batteries that are going through a discharge cycle regardless of being powered on or off.

Being you are a 1st officer would indicate, to me, that you are familiar with the site and the members willingness to help in some way, not always accurate but that’s the nature of the beast.
I would think you would also know that DJI isn’t big on providing in depth responses and offering technical support other than what would be listed in the manual, understandably so (documented advice that could come back to bite them).
Maybe a direct inquiry to DJI support would have been a better choice and would have eliminated the majority of responses you seem to dislike.
Friendly advice, no more, no less.
2021-3-31
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

Live My Journey Posted at 3-30 22:39
This can indicate one of two things.
Option one; the issue was introduced with a firmware update. Assuming you have not updated for three months.
Option two: the low natural self discharge (as opposed to active storage mode) made the batteries loose charge. That woul be very bad for the cell life. As they swell they'll can brak open the case.

yeah I still haven't updated the firmware. Definitely have missed a couple since December. The batteries did self discharge and I initially stored them from around 50-63%. When I checked after reading your post yesterday, they were around 0-13% iirc (I've fully charged all of them since). I guess they went into hibernation?

Your situation is definitely concerning though, there should be no reason why we can't store them in the hub and yet DJI is saying to unplug them. Would be good to hear if anyone else on older firmware are able to discharge correctly.

I'll try discharging them for another week (since I can't really fly for awhile anyway) to double check if they're behaving as expected.
2021-3-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Live My Journey Posted at 3-28 00:36
I'll do that. I have found no mention in manual for the drone or the charging hub that the batteries should not be stored inside. Is that your advise. Are you confirming that the intelligent auto discharge doesn't work whent the batteries are stored in an unplugged 2 way hub?

Yes, that's correct. When a battery is stored in the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub even though it isn't plugged into a power source or placed in the aircraft, the battery will be thinking that it'll be used soon and will not enter self-discharge mode.
2021-3-31
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-31 23:14
Yes, that's correct. When a battery is stored in the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub even though it isn't plugged into a power source or placed in the aircraft, the battery will be thinking that it'll be used soon and will not enter self-discharge mode.

You will have lot's of swollen batteries in your hands very very soon if you don't fix this or run a information campaign. Same goes for a battery stored in a drone. There is no mention of this feature in any of the manuals and users are simply not aware. Also this is the opposite of how this works on your other drones to add to the confusion. It's a massive mistake in my eyes.
2021-3-31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That is good to know, cheers!
2021-3-31
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Ah, at least it is clear now. I never trusted the auto discharge and discharged them myself, but it is important that people know. Thanks for the thread...
2021-4-1
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-1 13:48
Ah, at least it is clear now. I never trusted the auto discharge and discharged them myself, but it is important that people know. Thanks for the thread...

I'm glad it's started to reach people. This has got to go into a manual. It needs to announced. It's not a feature, it's a fault. I have studied the manual and now I'm sure the batteries don't work in the way that are designed to.
2021-4-2
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-31 23:14
This is not a feature. It's a fault.
The manual says: 'Auto-Discharging Function: to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to approx. 96%
of the battery level when it is idle for one day..."
The key word here is "idle". While the power is not dawn from the batery in a turned on drone or while the hub is turned on and used as a power bank the battery is in fact idle. In neither manual is there a mention of battery staying ready. In idle batteries left inside of a powered off drone or power off 2-way hub are not discharging as per manual. You will be responsible for all the damaged cells as you do not stipulate this in your user guides or on the product itself.
2021-4-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Batteries should auto discharge inside the hub... they even come inside the hub when you buy the drone.

Lots of people will damage their batteries due to this fault.

I fly almost every day except when the weather is bad because I live in the countryside, so I'll kill the batteries by just the fact that I use them a lot... but most people live in cities under controlled airspace, so they just use the drone on weekends and leave the batteries at full charge inside the hub for several days, without knowing they are killing them.
2021-4-2
Use props
CCmmBB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ultimately this issue should be corrected by DJI, but i have used the Phantom Angel for the Mavic 2 Pro and now the Mini 2.
Not the cheapest but does exactly what is says it does.
2021-4-2
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Live My Journey Posted at 4-2 04:19
I'm glad it's started to reach people. This has got to go into a manual. It needs to announced. It's not a feature, it's a fault. I have studied the manual and now I'm sure the batteries don't work in the way that are designed to.

Well let's hope this is not locked in the hardware and can be corrected via battery firmware update. Thanks again by the way...
2021-4-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Live My Journey Posted at 3-31 23:18
You will have lot's of swollen batteries in your hands very very soon if you don't fix this or run a information campaign. Same goes for a battery stored in a drone. There is no mention of this feature in any of the manuals and users are simply not aware. Also this is the opposite of how this works on your other drones to add to the confusion. It's a massive mistake in my eyes.

Thank you for your feedback. At present, this content is not mentioned in the user manual. I will feed it back to the relevant department to evaluate whether this situation needs to be marked in the user manual.
2021-4-3
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-3 23:05
Thank you for your feedback. At present, this content is not mentioned in the user manual. I will feed it back to the relevant department to evaluate whether this situation needs to be marked in the user manual.

It's not only relevant to the 2 way hub. The batteries within the drone itself also don't go into auto discharge mode. Basically this is a manufacturer defect as the device doesn't work as described and people have already been reaching out to me saying that some of their batteries started failing. This needs to be addressed ASAP. Preferably bay a fix that will make our betteties discharge as intended and not by an addendum to the manual.
2021-4-3
Use props
Viffergb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128944 ft
United Kingdom

Gif2D Posted at 3-30 06:05

Me to
2021-4-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules