After an accident, what is percentage of successful camera gimbal rebuild
2115 12 2015-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I'm wondering if anyone has any numbers as to the success rate in resuscitating camera / gimbal after an accident. My ribbon cable should be here any day now and I can't think of doing anything other than wear gloves to keep my oily paws off the board and contacts, make sure the contacts are fully seated and horizon shaft is aligned. Since the warrantee is dead I've decided I will be painting the bottom from the seam down (dk blue).

UPDATE....replaced ribbon with a generic and no luck, then tried again with a genuine DJI ribbon and although the pitch and roll was still DOA as was it's start-up dance, I could briefly see via lens and also take video and stills but that only lasted a couple flights and now looks like I should break down and send it to the garage or maybe it is just more sound to get a replacement 4k and have parts to keep or sell.

On the upside,
Two-tone....I can find it in the sky and the white when in the trees

IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
2015-7-14
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Good luck man I wouldn't worry about the gloves so much maybe consider getting an anti static wrist strap. http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-% ... rist-Strap/p/TH1780
2015-7-14
Use props
Morgus
New

United States

Mine wasn't fixable by the guys in Arizona. But they allegedly tried hard and got errors once it was completed.  
You were able to order a ribbon cable?
added - I see where one gets them now....  
2015-7-15
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

I would say at least 17% rate
2015-7-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

let me think on that for a bit, ahhh zilch %
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:31
let me think on that for a bit, ahhh zilch %

HA,    Ray, you might be right. I'm making my second attempt having just received my second ribbon cable. It could have easily been my repair but this time I made certain it was Genuine DJI with PO1107.08 stamped on it. The quality difference is clearly obvious from the generic knock off I received the first time. Having watched steps of several repair vids I have high confidence this time round……..after all it only fell 40 feet after hitting power lines    hahahaha
I will be sure to post a vid of if/when a successful boot
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 13:54
HA,    Ray, you might be right. I'm making my second attempt having just received my second ribbon  ...

i truly wish you can do it, if u can maybe you can repair my first p3p with a bent gimble and bad ribbon, it also fell fro about 30 feet at 30+mph.
good luck
2015-8-18
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If nothing is bent and the ribbon cable is not a dud then the chances are high that it will work.. The main question will be if the gimbal thinks everything is normal once assembled ( very sensitive bit of kit balance wise ). From what I have heard/seen this seems to be pot luck.

Either way, it should fly and be usable via the tablet I would have thought.
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-19 14:00
If nothing is bent and the ribbon cable is not a dud then the chances are high that it will work.. T ...

Guess it's quite possible I damaged the cable. Yes, bird still flies well……with camera removed I have been practicing ATTI.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 14:16
Guess it's quite possible I damaged the cable. Yes, bird still flies well……with camera removed I ...

mine too, flies great, just cant see anything, ive attached my gopro with velcro and zip ties just for the heck of it. lasted one flight!!! i too use it to mess around till i get a camera for it and give it to my son
2015-8-18
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your crash,
I am not sure of your skill set but you may want to get a cheaper quad and fly the hell out of it!  One that you can fly indoors and practice, practice, practice. And when you crash it it's not gonna hurt somebody or cost you that much to repair.  I hear of so many peeps that are getting these P3's that have very little experience then they crash them.  Thank God you didn't crash it into someone's head, otherwise  the gimbal would be the least of your worries.  From what I can see it's fixable just gonna cost you a few bucks  more than if it were a cheaper smaller quad.

-Dog
P.S. And yes I do have a ton of experience flying both RC aircraft and real aircraft. Got my first RC plane in 1984 and my first RC heli in 1991. Back then we would train flying the hell with  dowel rods and whiffle balls strapped to the skids. In the beginning everytime you flew it even though it was low altitude it still cost about  $100 US each time you crashed it and that was back then. And we flew at RC hobby air fields,  not the backyard somebody's house.
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-8-19 14:43
Sorry to hear about your crash,
I am not sure of your skill set but you may want to get a cheaper qu ...

I'm far from what I would consider experienced. I do have a Syma, a Traxx an EPP flying wing that I crash regularly  HA …..also a 2nd P3P that is incident free. I wouldn't have ran into the wires but my iPad battery died and was out 150yds and misjudged (and showing off), lesson learned, only damage was props and camera separation, my next purchase was RC Killers separation savers for both and hopefully ail never need
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

Now just waiting to hear from support........
EDIT
Since first install was DOA and the second install somewhat worked but lasted only a couple flights.
In the meantime I just bought another genuine DJI ribbon.
Maybe 3rd time will be a charm....it's worth the $29 try.
2015-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules