Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 2 throtle lock descent
1670 9 2015-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stathismpi59
lvl.1

Greece

Hello everyone,I have a phantom 2 v2 with the last remote which has throtle lock at the bottom end.I am in naza mode.Is it safe to fast descent with the throtle stick all the way down?(locked)or there is a posibility that the motors will shut down in the air....
2015-7-15
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Yes its safe to use the throttle lock, but you should never descend straight down, always have some forward momentum to avoid the chance of entering a VRS fall.
Real helicopters never fly over the landing pad at 1000ft and come straight down, they always fly in from an angle, you should do the same.
2015-7-15
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

The decent speed at which DJI has locked in pretty much helps prevent VRS but it is still possible if air and temperature and wind conditions are correct. The main time you have problems with prop wash and doe drafting if you notice is right when you get ready to land at about a foot off the ground. It has a tendency to  cause the craft to be pushed around a little.. You have to be careful then to prevent tip overs.  Rey few time it has been noted that we come straight down. Most are adjusting the craft in some manner to get it to land where we want. Even moving it a foot in any direction helps. I would worry about VRS to much just fly and have fun. VRS happens only when  a helicopter descends at a rate that exceeds the normal downward induce do-flow rate od the inner blad sections. The result is an unsteady turbulent flow over the late are of the blades this rotor effect cry is lost even if full power up is applied. If you notice the key is I'd the copter descends at state that exceeds.... Our PhAntoms don't descend at a rate that normally exceed the downward induced air flow so we a pretty safe from VRS. Gonna get some arguments on this but facts are facts. Enjoy flying!
2015-7-15
Use props
stathismpi59
lvl.1

Greece

After reading dji forum,most of the crashes took place while descenting,the motors stoped...
2015-7-16
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.1

United States

stathismpi59@gm Posted at 2015-7-17 03:01
After reading dji forum,most of the crashes took place while descenting,the motors stoped...

I believe what you’re asking is “Is it OK to descend by putting the left stick in the down/lock position without stalling the motors mid-flight and having the Phantom 2 drop out of the air?”

If that is your question, yes, you can put the throttle stick in the descend position and lock it there while the Phantom 2 is flying.  It will descend at the maximum descent rate and will not kill the motors until the Phantom senses that it is no long descending.  When the Phantom 2 does not sense an altitude change for several seconds, then it assumes it has landed and kills the motor.  But as long as it senses the altitude is dropping, it will not kill the motors when the left stick is in the down/lock position by itself.

Now, the next question is, is it best to put the left stick in down/lock and land the Phantom 2 like that?  I’d say, for most circumstances, probably not.
2015-7-20
Use props
stathismpi59
lvl.1

Greece

Thanks for your help.In any case is there a way to disable the option of motors to shut down with throtle all the way down?and to do that only with csc?
2015-7-21
Use props
Droniste
New

Canada

So then, what is the trotle lock for if it is hazardous to use?
2015-7-22
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

stathismpi59@gm Posted at 2015-7-21 16:47
Thanks for your help.In any case is there a way to disable the option of motors to shut down with th ...

This feature cannot be disabled.

And, that's a good thing since it's better to hold the left stick down after landing to shut off the motors instead of doing a CSC. A lot of people tip their Phantom over when attempting to shut off their motors with CSC.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-22
Use props
Lachlan Burn
lvl.1

Australia

hi, it is safe i also have a phantom 2 v2.0 and it is fine i take it up to around 200m and it will come down like a charm *a bit shaky* on the throttle lock.
2015-7-22
Use props
Droniste
New

Canada

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-23 06:09
This feature cannot be disabled.

And, that's a good thing since it's better to hold the left sti ...

Yes indeed!

I did this twice.  My phantom was on the flor so to shut motor off I do a CSC and FLIP! with motors running very fast so I was digging in the grass.  The propellers went green at the tips.

So now, I never use the CSC to shut off motors.  Just keep the left trottle down for more than 3 seconds and motors stop without any harm.
2015-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules