Got my MA2 4 days ago, is this noise / grain normal?
1627 26 2021-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b9y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704751 ft
United Kingdom

Hey guys.

I was using an ND16 filter. Sunny sky, although it was about 4pm so the sun was in front of my when I filmed this clip. There's a noticeable amount of noise on the raw video. I can't work out if it's normal. I see people posting videos taken in low light with no noticeable noise, and I can't figure it out. It can be seen on the trees etc.

Settings:

ISO 200 (it said that 100 was too underexposed).
D-cinelike.
H.264.
30FPS / 60 shutter.

Test footage

I salvaged what I could and made it in to a "proper" video, but there's still noticeable noice in some shots.

Test Footage 2

I'm wondering if the zebra stripes are too sensitive? Or, failing that, how can one tell if one's sensor is working fine and not faulty? I've seen videos on Youtube where people have taken their MA2 / MP's back because of noisy sensors. I also know there's a LOT of posts about noise / grain, so with that in mind I have some questions:

1. What mode should I shoot in, in low light? I saw a video where a guy was shooting on a cloudy day, and sunny day in normal mode, and there was barely any noise compared to HDR and D-cinelike. So...that? Unless I'm missing something.

2. What mode should I shoot in at night? And would there be less noise if I filmed a city from above, as opposed to a small town where there's more dark areas?

Thanks!
2021-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

post some footage..
2021-4-2
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Links weren't working.

Test Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2jKLdwC4M

Test Footage 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYbWnDMtrow
2021-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ISO 200 (it said that 100 was too overexposed).
If things were overexposed at ISO 100, it will be even more overexposed at ISO 200.
2021-4-3
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sorry, I mean underexposed. 100 iso was too dark with the ND16 filter, without the filter it was blowing out at 100 iso and showing the stripes.
2021-4-3
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

I don't want to be rude but It seems you are in the process of learning how to find a good exposition. I don't use ND filter.  There is not enough manual controls on the MA2. Keep experimenting, good pratice makes perfect
2021-4-3
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ririlan Posted at 4-3 07:00
I don't want to be rude but It seems you are in the process of learning how to find a good exposition. I don't use ND filter.  There is not enough manual controls on the MA2. Keep experimenting, good pratice makes perfect

I mean I've used video for years and never had this much noise in the circumstances. The Go Pro Hero 5 has a smaller sensor I believe and that works even better.
2021-4-4
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

You might try one of the "variable ND" filters.  That would let you get in between 0 and 16, as needed to stick with ISO 100 -- which will lower the noise.  But I think your existing footage looks pretty good, and that's an interesting site, so thanks for sharing.
2021-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I looked at your links, and both the clips were quite under-exposed. Most of the noise you see is not noise but compression artefacts from trying to encode fine wispy detail on trees and foliage in winter. You should not need an ND in the UK, as the light is very poor at the best of times. The best thing you could do is study up on using the histogram to expose to the right.
2021-4-4
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Scott108 Posted at 4-4 12:51
You might try one of the "variable ND" filters.  That would let you get in between 0 and 16, as needed to stick with ISO 100 -- which will lower the noise.  But I think your existing footage looks pretty good, and that's an interesting site, so thanks for sharing.

Thanks Scott. It's manageable but watching it on a 65" 4K tv, it sticks our a lot more. Watched it on a Mac retina display at 4k and can notice it. I'm not expecting the world but only at 200 ISO, I expected more.
2021-4-5
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-4 13:52
I looked at your links, and both the clips were quite under-exposed. Most of the noise you see is not noise but compression artefacts from trying to encode fine wispy detail on trees and foliage in winter. You should not need an ND in the UK, as the light is very poor at the best of times. The best thing you could do is study up on using the histogram to expose to the right.

Wouldn't compression artifacts be more block / blur based? This produces a fuzz consistent with with noise.
2021-4-5
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Scott108 Posted at 4-4 12:51

Do you have any recommendations for the variable ND filters? Thanks.
2021-4-5
Use props
HitrackAP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 428176 ft
United Kingdom

Ive used the Mavic Air 2 extensively on jobs in all kind of lighting conditions for the past 12 months or so. After 100s of hours of footage Ive just had to accept this is a VERY noisy sensor. It really shouldn't be at 100 ISO but anything in shadows and some mids will have noise artefacts.  Ive tried every combination of settings also...Normal...CineD and HDR.  With a bit of Post production de-noise and blur however I can get a very pleasing image. Ive raised this on here a few times with DJI but they no longer listen and you will just get an automated response from them.
2021-4-6
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HitrackAP Posted at 4-6 02:03
Ive used the Mavic Air 2 extensively on jobs in all kind of lighting conditions for the past 12 months or so. After 100s of hours of footage Ive just had to accept this is a VERY noisy sensor. It really shouldn't be at 100 ISO but anything in shadows and some mids will have noise artefacts.  Ive tried every combination of settings also...Normal...CineD and HDR.  With a bit of Post production de-noise and blur however I can get a very pleasing image. Ive raised this on here a few times with DJI but they no longer listen and you will just get an automated response from them.

Damn, that sucks so much that they do that. What a shame.
2021-4-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

b9y Posted at 4-5 18:25
Wouldn't compression artifacts be more block / blur based? This produces a fuzz consistent with with noise.

Blocking is only one form of artefact shown by incomplete encoding, reduced resolution is another form. Normally it also comes and goes during movement.
2021-4-6
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do you understand what causes noise? It doesn't sound like you do. By using such a dark ND filter in low light you are basically reducing the light to a point where you are actually introducing the noise. That second video I watched you are literally flying in a dark tunnel... When you are saying things like shooting iso100 wasn't possible because it was so dark, this should send clear warning bells that what you are doing isn't correct.
2021-4-6
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 4-6 15:18
Do you understand what causes noise? It doesn't sound like you do. By using such a dark ND filter in low light you are basically reducing the light to a point where you are actually introducing the noise. That second video I watched you are literally flying in a dark tunnel... When you are saying things like shooting iso100 wasn't possible because it was so dark, this should send clear warning bells that what you are doing isn't correct.

Actually the dark tunnel was ok, and that was without the ND filter.

The other footage was too overexposed without the ND filter. The fact is, there shouldn't be this much noise at 200 ISO in bright light.
2021-4-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

b9y Posted at 4-7 03:06

The other footage was too overexposed without the ND filter. The fact is, there shouldn't be this much noise at 200 ISO in bright light.

"The other footage was too overexposed without the ND filter."

You do know that you can expose the camera correctly by using the exposure control wheel to alter the EV value?
2021-4-7
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

b9y Posted at 4-7 03:06

I saw the footage. That isn't bright light. ND16 was way too dark for that light.
2021-4-7
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-7 14:49
"The other footage was too overexposed without the ND filter."

You do know that you can expose the camera correctly by using the exposure control wheel to alter the EV value?

...in manual? I did not!
2021-4-9
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 4-7 20:37
I saw the footage. That isn't bright light. ND16 was way too dark for that light.

I'm getting a variable ND filter. I agree it was too dark, hence why I boosted the ISO to 200. However I'm just surprised that much noise appears at ISO 200.
2021-4-9
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

b9y Posted at 4-9 04:28
I'm getting a variable ND filter. I agree it was too dark, hence why I boosted the ISO to 200. However I'm just surprised that much noise appears at ISO 200.

Just having a low iso doesn't mean you won't get noise in your image if the light is poor. Do some research on image noise, I think you need it. You said the GoPro isn't as grainy. I bet you weren't throwing a heavy ND filter on it to shoot either.
2021-4-12
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Settings:
ISO 200
D-cinelike.
H.264.
30FPS / 60 shutter.

One thing you can do to help somewhat is shoot in H.265

It's compression algorihm tends to give video clips a slight quality boost. It's nothing dramatic, but it might help a little.
2021-4-12
Use props
David.Battle
lvl.2
United States

I am no pro, but I don't think I would use a filter there at all as the area seems plenty dark.
2021-4-12
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 4-12 13:03
Just having a low iso doesn't mean you won't get noise in your image if the light is poor. Do some research on image noise, I think you need it. You said the GoPro isn't as grainy. I bet you weren't throwing a heavy ND filter on it to shoot either.

Well what else could have caused the noise?
2021-4-15
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

b9y Posted at 4-15 12:20
Well what else could have caused the noise?

Lack of light.
2021-4-15
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 4-15 12:49
Lack of light.

The sun was still shining brightly, it was lit up well. Even with the sun overhead I'm seeing noise in the darker areas, barely even "shadow" areas. Took a photo earlier and there's noise visible in the bright blue sky, is that a lack of light too? Or, could it be possible I have a faulty sensor like a few others have on this forum and elsewhere?
2021-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules