bees and drone
2155 13 2021-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jdavidg
lvl.2
United States

Has anyone had the experience of bees swarming the drone while in flight?
2021-4-4
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

No. Have you?
2021-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jdavidg. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. I have heard few cases when drones got attacked by wild bees. It is not recommended to fly your DJI drone near them because it may damage and affect the performance of your drone and may lead to accident. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-4
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Yes I flew through a small swarm, purely by accident and wasn't sure what had happened until I landed and saw some of the body parts and stains stuck to the fuselage. This was this past summer in my Mini at around 130 to 150 feet.
The swarms I have witness from the ground or hillside were influenced by wind and air current
2021-4-4
Use props
RJn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1845039 ft
France

I had at least 4 times bees or wasps assaulting the drone. They seem drawn to the drone's hum. Altitude between 5m and 20m.
2021-4-4
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

RJn Posted at 4-4 23:31
I had at least 4 times bees or wasps assaulting the drone. They seem drawn to the drone's hum. Altitude between 5m and 20m.

I have had it 2 times last sommer in about 20 to 35 meter. Only a few wasps were surrounding and assaulting my MA2. I discovered some body parts after the flight and then on the video i took.
There are some videos on youtube showing wasps attacking drones.
2021-4-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No,  only birds have been an issue so far.
2021-4-5
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Yes, during low altitude flights. Some bees and other insects would for some reason get attracted to the drone.
2021-4-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed that bees and wasps seem to be attracted to drones, not sure if it is the motor sound or what.  It has happened to me several times.
2021-4-5
Use props
Jdavidg
lvl.2
United States

Flying yesterday at about 15-20 ft following my wife about 10+ bees  swarming around it in our pasture.
2021-4-5
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Yes, I've had that happen to me last summer with my Mavic Air 2.
There were some bees swarming food that someone had tossed on the street, and when I took off maybe 25 feet away from them, they swarmed the drone. I flew away from the area and lost the bees, but when I returned and intentionally landed further away from their treasure trove of food, they again went after the drone. The bees were clearly visible on the video, and the props I was using had chips in the leading edges.
2021-4-5
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Interesting, I experienced only some small flying insect (mosquito?) and cockchafer on grass field got atracted by my drone.
2021-4-7
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3948947 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will often hover about 12" over Yellow Jacket ground nest with the camera aimed right down the hole... little bit of recon before I destroy the nest!
2021-4-7
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes it has happened to me. The important thing is to fly up and away from them as they make a huge mess on the drone. I had the situation where I took off in a park and suddenly I could see all these bees on the screen. I hit sport mode and flew off and everything was fine but I had to land again in the park 20 mins later once the battery was done. So when I started landing they came back and swarmed it. I landed it and they flew off again. They weren't interested in it once the motors were off. Then I spent the next 10 minutes wiping the mess off the drone!
2021-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules