Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Safe To Power On When Folded
2320 14 2021-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bodkins Best Photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2195374 ft
Canada

Is it safe to power on the drone when the props and legs are still bound by the propeller holder (the props twitch during start up sequence)?  I often find myself wanting to make settings adjustments to the drone through the app, but can't access the drone settings without powering the drone up.

2021-4-11
Use props
videoeditman
Captain
Flight distance : 6669249 ft
United States

I believe this is frowned upon as the gimbal cover will inhibit the gimbals start up sequence, thereby creating excess stress on it.
2021-4-11
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
Second Officer
Canada

videoeditman Posted at 4-11 11:51
I believe this is frowned upon as the gimbal cover will inhibit the gimbals start up sequence, thereby creating excess stress on it.

That's what I thought, but do the propellers need to be free as well?  I tend to take the gimbal cover off as it isn't difficult to remove, but freeing the propellers then deploying the legs is the part I'd like to skip if at all possible without damaging anything.
2021-4-11
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Captain
Flight distance : 32201 ft
United States

I just take get it ready for flight anyway, but it sure would be easier to do it while wrapped up because , I also want to change things around now and then.  Also, I have BAD thoughts of that thing suddenly
taking uncontrolled flight to cut something or someone up.
2021-4-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. It would be best to unfold the propellers of your DJI Drone to avoid any unwanted issues. In addition, I will post a DJI Forum post with regards to this matter as well. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225905
2021-4-11
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-11 20:59
Hello there. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. It would be best to unfold the propellers of your DJI Drone to avoid any unwanted issues. In addition, I will post a DJI Forum post with regards to this matter as well. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225905

That has NOTHING to do with what I asked.
2021-4-11
Use props
RedSky119
Second Officer
Canada

The aircraft has to be powered on in the folded position to perform a IMU calibration, so i would think it should be safe as long as the gimbal cover is removed.
2021-4-11
Use props
RedSky119
Second Officer
Canada

RedSky119 Posted at 4-11 22:11
The aircraft has to be powered on in the folded position to perform a IMU calibration, so i would think it should be safe as long as the gimbal cover is removed.

On page 7 of the Mini 2 manual under Preparing the Aircraft, it says to make sure all the arms are unfolded before powering on the Aircraft or it could affect the self diagnostics. So not really sure.
2021-4-11
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
Second Officer
Canada

RedSky119 Posted at 4-11 22:11
The aircraft has to be powered on in the folded position to perform a IMU calibration, so i would think it should be safe as long as the gimbal cover is removed.

Good point.  That hadn't occurred to me.   Thanks for pointing that out!
2021-4-11
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.4

Australia

Bodkins Best Photography Posted at 4-11 22:39
Good point.  That hadn't occurred to me.   Thanks for pointing that out!

Its not rocket science is it? Do you also need some help tying your shoelaces by any chance? Sheesh.
2021-4-14
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

BaliSkies Posted at 4-14 02:20
Its not rocket science is it? Do you also need some help tying your shoelaces by any chance? Sheesh.

Was thre a need for that? It was a good point and it never occured to me either.. So I assume your comment applies to me too...

2021-4-14
Use props
Jevo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Me being lazy came up against this, I wanted to change a setting while it was on my mind. I was tempted to leave it folded and gimbal cover on but I removed them as it "felt right".

It takes about 20 seconds to remove them. I spent longer than that typing this
2021-4-14
Use props
Photo Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 456201 ft
Canada

So many times i wanted to make a quick adjustment and put it back in the case.
Maybe someone will just take the gimble cover off and test this ?
Good Post.
2021-4-14
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
Second Officer
Canada

BaliSkies Posted at 4-14 02:20

The fact that you need to boot up the drone and perhaps unfold it in order to tweak a simple setting like rth altitude or yaw speed is the issue.  As with everything else unfolding physical components leads to wear, and if all one wants to do is change a setting in a menu it seems a little counterintuative.

Hence the reason for the question: Does one need to do these things to change a simple setting in a menu?
2021-4-14
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 559567 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Bodkins Best Photography Posted at 4-14 09:41
The fact that you need to boot up the drone and perhaps unfold it in order to tweak a simple setting like rth altitude or yaw speed is the issue.  As with everything else unfolding physical components leads to wear, and if all one wants to do is change a setting in a menu it seems a little counterintuative.

Hence the reason for the question: Does one need to do these things to change a simple setting in a menu?

Just pull the gimbal cover off and all is good.
2021-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules