Why DJI FPV stops recording after loosing the signal???
12Next >
6355 42 2021-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I fly a lot near rocs and lost connection several times (RTH saved the day all the time) but for an unknown reason, the drone stops recordin??? And as I use auto start recording I did not check it and lost a lot of nice flyovers Please DJI fix this bug drone should continue recording the video!!!
2021-4-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there alex_markov. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-11
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I'm with you there, Alex. I should keep recording, it's especially interesting to see what happens when the connection is lost and also I forget to turn on the recording manually.
2021-4-11
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

will it also stop recording after you enable manual on/off? It seems very normal it stops after it loses video signal - it is like you switch your quad off - no point of recording "nothing".
2021-4-12
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

tomekyo Posted at 4-12 11:14
will it also stop recording after you enable manual on/off? It seems very normal it stops after it loses video signal - it is like you switch your quad off - no point of recording "nothing".

You get it wrong - when it loose signal You cant control it till it reconnects - no point in stopping recording - the drone is flying
2021-4-12
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

alex_markov Posted at 4-12 12:58
You get it wrong - when it loose signal You cant control it till it reconnects - no point in stopping recording - the drone is flying

and how do you suggest your goggle knows that the drone is still flying when it disconnects? The recording only switches on/off automaticaly when you arm/ disarm. I am still wondering if it stops when switched to the manual operation?
2021-4-12
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

tomekyo Posted at 4-12 13:27
and how do you suggest your goggle knows that the drone is still flying when it disconnects? The recording only switches on/off automaticaly when you arm/ disarm. I am still wondering if it stops when switched to the manual operation?

Drone stops recording on Local SD card! nothing to do with goggles
2021-4-12
Use props
Kunzelman
New
Flight distance : 31499 ft
United States

Let me add my upvote to this as well. It just happened to me.

The drone recovered perfectly from visual signal loss and started RTH, it didn't occur to me to check if the recording was active and was blissfully flying around thinking I was capturing epic, lol, footage.

With autorecord ON (which it was) my assumption was that the drone is recording, always, unless I explicitly stop it.
2021-4-25
Use props
matthers
lvl.1
Australia

Just happened to me today.  Lost connection with the drone, initiated a return to home, reconnected back to the drone and i took back control.  Just viewed the footage which was only being recorded on the drone and it simply stopped recording the second it lost contact.  This is with the FPV drone with 'start/stop recording automatically on take off' option enabled.  I can only think this is why it stopped recording and it never re-enabled recording once it reconnected.  This doesn't happen with my Mavic, although i don't think i have this recording option on my Mavic - definitely not enabled if i do.
2021-4-25
Use props
djiuser_rxW2o9SofHiG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

I'm experiencing this as well. It's shocking this type of bug actually exists and hasn't been fixed yet. I pretty much lost 20% of all of my  footage to this bug since I started flying. And it's not like it's even difficult to reproduce, it happens consistently every single time drone loses connection. I'm also recording with autorecord ON setting, not sure if bug might be specific to using that option? Would be ironical if it were as the whole purpose of the feature is to avoid accidentally losing footage. Please fix this DJI!
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

djiuser_rxW2o9SofHiG Posted at 5-13 12:35
I'm experiencing this as well. It's shocking this type of bug actually exists and hasn't been fixed yet. I pretty much lost 20% of all of my  footage to this bug since I started flying. And it's not like it's even difficult to reproduce, it happens consistently every single time drone loses connection. I'm also recording with autorecord ON setting, not sure if bug might be specific to using that option? Would be ironical if it were as the whole purpose of the feature is to avoid accidentally losing footage. Please fix this DJI!

"not sure if bug might be specific to using that option?"

I'm pretty sure the recording only stops when when the auto start/stop option is used.

I just turned my drone on and started recording in my office. I turned off the goggles while recording. I then turned the goggles back on. The recording to the goggles had of coursed stopped but the recording in the drone did not stop.

It sure seems like the auto off function should only occur when the drone is on the ground.

Until this gets fixed, you can manually start the video and lose video by forgetting to press the start button like the rest of us.
Edit: I was wrong! The recording stops even if you manually start it. The recording didn't stop when I turned off the goggles but when I lost signal during a flight the recording stopped.
2021-5-13
Use props
jimmylee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

This should not be happening.
Does it keep recording if set to manually start / stop recording?
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

jimmylee Posted at 5-13 13:16
This should not be happening.
Does it keep recording if set to manually start / stop recording?

"Does it keep recording if set to manually start / stop recording?"

I think you posted before seeing my reply.

No, if you manually start and stop the video doesn't stop recording when signal is lost.
Edit: This information is incorrect. The recording will stop whether or not you're have automatic recording turned on.
2021-5-13
Use props
jimmylee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-13 13:19
"Does it keep recording if set to manually start / stop recording?"

I think you posted before seeing my reply.

OK thanks, I guess I will have to go to manual record mode.
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

jimmylee Posted at 5-13 16:59
OK thanks, I guess I will have to go to manual record mode.

I was wrong!

The recording doesn't stop if the goggles are turned off but the recording stops if the signal is lost.

I just had this happen to me. I was really curious to see what happened after I lost signal but video stopped seconds after the drone lost its link.

Ugh! DJI please fix this!
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_rxW2o9SofHiG Posted at 5-13 12:35
I'm experiencing this as well. It's shocking this type of bug actually exists and hasn't been fixed yet. I pretty much lost 20% of all of my  footage to this bug since I started flying. And it's not like it's even difficult to reproduce, it happens consistently every single time drone loses connection. I'm also recording with autorecord ON setting, not sure if bug might be specific to using that option? Would be ironical if it were as the whole purpose of the feature is to avoid accidentally losing footage. Please fix this DJI!

I want to make sure you see my correction.

While the recording didn't stop when I turned off my goggles the recording did stop when I lost the video link while flying. I had started the recording manually so apparently that doesn't matter.

It was terrifying to have my goggles go black. I lost signal for a couple minutes. Fortunately the return to home feature worked great.

DJI Please fix the drone so the video recording doesn't stop with loss of video transmission.
2021-5-13
Use props
jimmylee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-13 19:21
I want to make sure you see my correction.

While the recording didn't stop when I turned off my goggles the recording did stop when I lost the video link while flying. I had started the recording manually so apparently that doesn't matter.

OK you lost me here. How does turning off the goggles not cause loss of video link?
Do you mean loss of signal from controller also?
2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

jimmylee Posted at 5-14 08:22
OK you lost me here. How does turning off the goggles not cause loss of video link?
Do you mean loss of signal from controller also?

"OK you lost me here. How does turning off the goggles not cause loss of video link?"

I'm just reporting what I saw myself.

I think my test was flawed since I wasn't flying the drone. The stopping of the video recording is likely related to the Return To Home routine. Since my test was done indoors, I was not flying the drone. I'll need to repeat this test outside with the drone if various states to see when the recording shuts off.

I just repeated the indoor test and I left the goggles off for over a minute. The recording in the drone did not stop.

Personally, I think this is reversed from how it should work. I think it's fine if the recording stops if the drone isn't flying. The recording shouldn't stop if the drone is in the air.
2021-5-14
Use props
fans69e0913b
New
Flight distance : 24039 ft
United States

I had this happen to me as well.  crested over a hill and down.  RTH saved the say, but the recording stopped.  I use manual start/stop recording setting.  DJI should continue the recording.  Only stop recording upon when I say to stop recording if its in manual start/stop.  Auto start recording, maybe only stop recording when motors are disarmed.
2021-6-14
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

----------
2021-6-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

fans69e0913b Posted at 6-14 00:56
I had this happen to me as well.  crested over a hill and down.  RTH saved the say, but the recording stopped.  I use manual start/stop recording setting.  DJI should continue the recording.  Only stop recording upon when I say to stop recording if its in manual start/stop.  Auto start recording, maybe only stop recording when motors are disarmed.

"Only stop recording upon when I say to stop recording if its in manual start/stop.  Auto start recording, maybe only stop recording when motors are disarmed."

I completely agree. To me, this is the biggest problem with the drone right now.

The same day I conducted the test I described earlier, I experienced my first RTH situation. I was really disappointed to find the drone's video recording stopped a few seconds after the video signal was lost. I had started the recording manually so this problem doesn't just effect people who use the auto start feature.

DJI please fix this problem!
2021-6-14
Use props
fans98f5b575
lvl.1

Canada

Same for me, I love to do long range flight and I lose a lot of video.

Please add a way to make the recording continous.
2021-6-16
Use props
djiuser_IjKebFRsAYYH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1616693 ft
United States

I experienced the same. Also, after the headset reconnected, the UI was weird - the background lines were there, but no dynamic data
2021-6-16
Use props
sstur
New
United States

This is not a bug. This is an intentional design decision. And not for the reason you think. It's not a technical limitation.

From what I've heard across the industry (correct me if I'm wrong), this is because of a patent that someone has on recording a stream locally while also broadcasting to a remote device. Something about this patent (I don't have a reference, please post it if anyone has more info) causes DJI and other companies to intentionally disable local recording when signal loss occurs. To mitigate legal risk from the patent owner.

Anyone know anything further about this?
2021-6-19
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

sstur Posted at 6-19 08:17
This is not a bug. This is an intentional design decision. And not for the reason you think. It's not a technical limitation.

From what I've heard across the industry (correct me if I'm wrong), this is because of a patent that someone has on recording a stream locally while also broadcasting to a remote device. Something about this patent (I don't have a reference, please post it if anyone has more info) causes DJI and other companies to intentionally disable local recording when signal loss occurs. To mitigate legal risk from the patent owner.

Very well it might be connected But non of my other drones did Not do this?
2021-6-19
Use props
fredbotton75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832001 ft
  • >>>
France

That's very unlikely, most drones with flight planning keep on recording local while executing automated missions that lead behind obstacles that block radio & video transmissions.
2021-6-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

fredbotton75 Posted at 6-21 14:55
That's very unlikely, most drones with flight planning keep on recording local while executing automated missions that lead behind obstacles that block radio & video transmissions.

"That's very unlikely, most drones with flight planning keep on recording local while executing automated missions that lead behind obstacles that block radio & video transmissions."

I assume you're referring the patent claim. I agree with you. I really doubt there's a legal reason the recording has to be stopped. Most drones continue to record even if a control link is lost.

The DJI FPV drone is the only drone I'm aware of which stops the recording when the control link is lost.
2021-6-21
Use props
djiuser_ULOj7ZoSHtHF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6135892 ft
Thailand

I think it's not a bad thing to stop recording when signal is lost, you can't get the shot you want anyway if you are not in control of the drone.
But having enabled auto recording I'd expect the drone to restart recording as soon as signal is recovered, most of the times I forget to push the record button and lose the footage.
2021-6-24
Use props
djiuser_0UmF0M8tXHWQ
lvl.1

Spain

Also ran into this today. Regardless of the reason for stopping the recording, I’d expect it to restart when signal is reacquired  at a minimum. Lost lots of footage because of one brief dip in signal strength
2021-9-26
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_0UmF0M8tXHWQ Posted at 9-26 02:25
Also ran into this today. Regardless of the reason for stopping the recording, I’d expect it to restart when signal is reacquired  at a minimum. Lost lots of footage because of one brief dip in signal strength

For me it's not optimal at the moment...

A MA2 never stops recording in any situation!
2021-9-26
Use props
ClassicShooter
lvl.2

United States

I've noticed the same thing with my old Air 2 and my current Air 2s. I wonder if it's something within the base software DJI uses
2021-9-28
Use props
mlmlml
New

Iceland

This is so disappointing. I lost two wonderful footages today due to

1) Drone stops recording when connection is lost
2) Drone does not start auto-recording when it takes off directly after an initialize error was fixed (mixed up A/B propeller)
2021-10-24
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes please, do fix this DJI, I would like my drone to continue to record video if my signal is lost.  
Many thanks.
2021-10-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

For 4 years I found DJI Never listen to customer complaints and never even explain why they did it
2021-10-25
Use props
djiuser_rW56NJmm6xB1
New

Australia

Hi, recently purchased a dji Air 2S. While video recording and flying around 1 Km away in line of sight, in a very windy condition over ocean, it stopped video recording on its own.

I could not manually restart recording till i brought the drone within 300 metres or so.

Why is DJI Air 2S stopping to record in flight under direct line of sight? Could it be high winds and moisture?
2021-12-7
Use props
fans02142e7c
lvl.1
United States

Read the whole thread, nobody was even able to find a good reason why this is programmed like that.

I just lost some of the best footage because of this.

Does DJI pay even a single person to read and respond to the forum?
2022-1-6
Use props
fans02142e7c
lvl.1
United States

I understand that DJI wants to destroy these videos on purpose so there are less evidences of drone crashes. Like one hitting a building while returning to home.

We're losing videos because of some PR department decision.
2022-1-8
Use props
Elias Johansson
New

Sweden

Have they fixed this problem?
2022-1-9
Use props
Elias Johansson
New

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-4-11 21:25
Hello there alex_markov. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and fly safe always.

So did u guys it?
2022-1-9
Use props
fans02142e7c
lvl.1
United States

Elias Johansson Posted at 1-9 13:27
Have they fixed this problem?

It's an added feature, they should explain why they did that,

There's no chance that something so unrelated happening programatically is a bug.

They want as little videos of their drone crashing as possible. That's why.
2022-1-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules