Phantom flew with 3 motors
3640 18 2014-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

Guys,

How do we know that the motors are about to fail before its actually failed in mid flight and...................crash !

Thanks.
2014-11-24
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Beyond checking how the bearings feel, noticing usual noise or heat, we don't!  Plus, an ESC can suddenly fail with the same result.

A lot of gamble to this hobby!  
2014-11-24
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

away-point Posted at 2014-11-25 11:35
Beyond checking how the bearings feel, noticing usual noise or heat, we don't!  Plus, an ESC can sud ...

Now this is why we do not fly over people head. Appreciate your reply.
2014-11-24
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Syed, did your Phantom manage a landing on 3 motors?
2014-11-24
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1322064 ft
South Africa

I got some warning signs on mine.
Couple of days back when I started the motors, the front right red led started flickering on and off and shortly afterwards wasn't going on at all.
I also noticed that that motor was spinning a bit slower than the rest.
I was too scared to fly, so went to the dealer and discussed with them. We decided to replace the ESC which was still under the 12 month warranty.
I did that over the weekend and now the lights on that arm are back to normal, but the motor is still spinning slower than the rest.
So now I am going to replace the motor as well which is not under warranty (3 months) any more.
Hopefully that will sort out the problem.
2014-11-24
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-11-25 13:47
Syed, did your Phantom manage a landing on 3 motors?

Still didn't try it and hope I dont have to try that...I dont think landing with 3 motors is possible since the phantom need specific algorithm to operate with 3 motors as to keep it balance as its had different of ccw and cw motors.
2014-11-24
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

aerialpicturean Posted at 2014-11-25 14:29
I got some warning signs on mine.
Couple of days back when I started the motors, the front right red ...

The worse nightmare is when one of the motors start to failing while the phantom in mid air. Hopefully after replacing a new motors, it will turn at faster speed (normal speed).
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

When the motor or ESC fail it crashes but this is not the worst nightmare because the phantom will crash down where it is. My worst nightmare is when the flight controller goes mad and it fly out of sight with a full batterie and i dont know where it gone. When a motor crash it will fall down like a stone and you know it cant harm ppl because you should never fly in a city etc.. Thats why i only fly in the countryside. But then flight controller goes mad it can probably fly from countryisde to the city
2014-11-25
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

I've seen a quadcopter fly on 3 motors. It's ugly as hell, but at least it doesn't drop like a rock. What you need is for a kind of Failsafe, consisting of a program that automatically switches on when a motor ceases up or when a ESC is fried. The program rotates the entire quad along its vertical axis fast enough for the effect of the knackered arm to be able to be compensated by the 3 other arms spinning at max speed. Forget about controlling the quad, but at least you won't cause any serious injury.

Hopefully, in time, the Phantom will get this.
2014-11-25
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

The worse nightmare is when one of the motors start to failing while the phantom in mid air

I rather have mine fix before that happens. I don't think flying with 3 motors will be possible at all.
2014-11-25
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Malaysia

Daninho Posted at 2014-11-25 16:50
When the motor or ESC fail it crashes but this is not the worst nightmare because the phantom will c ...

Agreed!! better it crashed and found nearby rather than flyaway lost from sight.
2014-11-25
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Malaysia

aerialpicturean Posted at 2014-11-25 20:23
I rather have mine fix before that happens. I don't think flying with 3 motors will be possible at ...

Yup, dont take any chances. get the motors replaced and happy flying
2014-11-25
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I have repaced the ESC and motor, but it is still spinning slower than the rest.
I can feel this motor has less torque than the rest.
What now?
2014-11-25
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

aerialpicturean Posted at 2014-11-26 14:18
I have repaced the ESC and motor, but it is still spinning slower than the rest.
I can feel this mot ...

Have you done Full IMU calibration thru phantom assistant software? go try for advance IMU calibration including compass.

then power ON the phantom, in idle speed, observe the motors.....
2014-11-26
Use props
syedfaiq_747
lvl.1

Singapore

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-11-25 20:05
I've seen a quadcopter fly on 3 motors. It's ugly as hell, but at least it doesn't drop like a rock. ...

DJI should take considerations of this, thinking the damages/injuries that might have cause by motor/esc failure.
2014-11-26
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

Have you done Full IMU calibration thru phantom assistant software? go try for advance IMU calibration including compass.

Have done all off that. No change
2014-11-27
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
Second Officer

China

aerialpicturean Posted at 2014-11-27 20:56
Have done all off that. No change

Which type of Motors do you use??
If you use 2312 Motors make sure the replacement of ESC is V2.1 version.
2014-11-27
Use props
aerialpicturean
lvl.2
South Africa

I have the original motors - Don't know what model. Got the P2V+ in May 2014.
2014-11-28
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
Second Officer

China

aerialpicturean Posted at 2014-11-28 16:07
I have the original motors - Don't know what model. Got the P2V+ in May 2014.

Take a photo of the coils and i will find out the model~
2014-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules