Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A second charger instead of a pile of batteries
1096 16 2015-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingviking
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151693 ft
Canada

So, I got my 3 extra batteries. Instead of getting a couple of more I got myself a spare 100W charger. This setup allows me to fly about 90 minutes without a break. I have a 120 VAC outlet in my truck where I plug in my charger. A second charger is a lot cheaper than another battery.
2015-7-16
Use props
xaq7
lvl.1

United States

Have you looked at the parallel charge boards? I haven't used one on the phantom. But I use them with lipos on home builts....
2015-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Wise choice, second charger over battery... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-7-16
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I have to ask. If the Phantom 3 goes for around 20 minutes of flight before expending the batteries and you have to allow the battery to cool before charging, how are you getting 90 minutes of flight? You've stated you have 3 extra batteries, so if I read that correctly, you have a total of 4 batteries then? If so, you'd be at about the 80 minute mark with depleting the batteries to a safe level to for return flight.

My experience on the P3P has shown the battery takes 30 minutes minimum to be cool enough for the charger to start working much less fully charge the battery. Nothing wrong with having a second charger, but unless you have a way to cool the battery down before charging, you're doing more harm than good fast charging the battery. imo.

2015-7-16
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I have one of the parallel charge boards.  It's works pretty well.  From what I can tell, when you pop-on three used batteries, it starts charging the weakest battery first.  Then when that battery strength equals the second weakest battery, they both start charging at the same time.  Then when those two batteries reach the same strength as the third battery, all three start charging together.  So, it's not quite 3x faster than charging one at a time, but definitely saves time.

So, with four batteries, you fly with one while placing the others on the parallel charging board, then just rotate through them - allowing for a little cool-down period.  I heard a DJI dealer say it takes 5 batteries to fly non-stop.  I  get a sense he might have just been wanting to sell more batteries.  : )
2015-7-16
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-7-16
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Because that's exactly how long it takes to drive round trip to all the stores on the honey-do list, then come back home and say that half the stores were closed, and the other half ran out of the things on the list.
2015-7-16
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-7-16
Use props
astanatv
lvl.2

Kazakhstan

You are lying. I have 4 batteries and I fly 60 min max, as you have to land it around 25% and then your batteries need to cool down before you could charge em.
2015-7-16
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

astanatv Posted at 2015-7-17 10:39
You are lying. I have 4 batteries and I fly 60 min max, as you have to land it around 25% and then y ...

he is not lying, its called a fudge factor that is in effect in the formula hehe.
2015-7-16
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

Are you people flying at home? I mean, I know some people are charging in their cars but not everyone has that ability and I see so many people talking about flying while charging their other batteries. I'm sure they sell cheaper quads for this kind of flying lol... Unless you really like getting UHD footage of your homes.
2015-7-16
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Man, "you lie" is a little strong.  Ha ....

So, it depends on what he means by 90 minutes.  Does he mean the bird is in the air for 90 full minutes.  Probably not.  He most likely means that he has driven to his favorite flying spot, and is there for 90 minutes having fun flying.  I use that second method all the time.  I have three batteries, and I fly for about an hour.  In reality, the bird might be in the air for only 45 minutes.  But I was at the sight having a grand ole time for at least an hour.

But, to go back to the main question of why fly for 90 minutes.  I just got a call from my dealer today to come pick up my forth battery.  Why?  Cause I hike in the mountains and fly.  I don't want to drive for 20 minutes, hike for another 20 minutes, only to fly for 15-30 minutes.  So now, I can take pictures/videos, practice maneuvers, waste half a battery just playing with the camera settings, whatever I want, and not feel like I have to rush cause I only have 8 more minutes of flying time left.  One of my favorite places to fly is 45 minutes away.  At the time I only had two batteries.  I stopped going that far cause it felt like a waste of time.  Now with my forth battery, I'll start going back there again.

Anyway, you get the point.
2015-7-16
Use props
flyingviking
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151693 ft
Canada

Ok, lot of replies here. First of all, just like HunterBrooks here is saying, I don't have 90 minutes of efficient airtime. But with the setup I have with 4 batteries and two chargers it gives me more than I'd have with just one charger. As long as I have a charging source available.
As it comes to you my friend from Kazakhstan, lying is a pretty strong word. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that it might be a translation issue. And of course it is your choice to land the bird at 25% remaining. Most of the time I go lower than that. Nobody says you "have to land" it at 25%. After flying for a while you learn the limitations and adapt your flight accordingly. Most of the time I'm down to 15% by the time I've landed it. When it comes to cooling batteries, I always have a cooler with me on my trips for some snacks and drinks. I have also used it to cool down batteries when I have needed a lot of airtime. I've done that with my RC helicopter and plane batteries for years and it works just fine.
2015-7-17
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-7-17 13:00
Man, "you lie" is a little strong.  Ha ....

So, it depends on what he means by 90 minutes.  Does he ...

HunterBrooks, I like your attitude, dude!
2015-7-17
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-7-17 06:29
Because that's exactly how long it takes to drive round trip to all the stores on the honey-do list, ...

Wise man ...
2015-7-17
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-7-17 20:23
HunterBrooks, I like your attitude, dude!

Thanks!  Yeah, I just have to listen to my favorite song before logging onto the forum, and afterwards, all is right with the world ...

"Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
And people say we monkey around.
But we're too busy singing
To put anybody down."

Ha, now you're gonna have that song in your head for the next three days.
2015-7-17
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-7-18 01:01
Thanks!  Yeah, I just have to listen to my favorite song before logging onto the forum, and afterw ...

Actually, I'm in an oldies band and we play Monkees tunes.
2015-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules