Should I upgrade to the Air 2S, Mavic 2 pro zoom or wait?
1239 11 2021-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

Hi.

I recently bought a DJI Mini 2 (January this year), and had had my fair load of fun with it. However, for what I got it, which is to promote my parents tourism and wildlife photography business, I feel it somewhat falls short for my needs. I'll admit though that I got it to test if drones were my thing or not and didn't have any previous experience with them and I'll also admit I have been mostly flying for fun and all my productions are, still, rather amateurish and I still need more experience with both flying and filming and editing...

However, and getting back into the topic, the lack of sensors for obstacle avoidance and the lack of following capabilities and even the ability to follow a predefined path of waypoints really makes me want to upgrade. I won't be selling it, as it is still a fairly good machine, but I want more. Now, I am pretty sure that I will eventually hit the FPV market, but I think I'll wait for now, until DJI releases a gen 2 FPV or maybe their competitors come up with something cool, or maybe I'll eventually jump into the full custom-built fpv drones' world. But, in the meantime, stabilized drones do offer a more tangible benefit for me and with the newest Air 2S being released and at a somewhat affordable price, I've been wondering if it will be a good idea to get one now or maybe wait a bit and see if they release a new Mavic Pro flagship or jut go get the Mavic Pro 2 Zoom.

Essentially, I do video and photography for advertising and wildlife photography for both fun and sales.  My family business is about nature, adventure, birds and eco-tourism, and I am not a full time vlogger or a very well versed editor/producer, but I eventually want to become one (time will tell of the business grows enough for me to leave my current job or not).

What do you guys think?
2021-4-16
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just wait and use your Mini 2 it is an incredible drone an to be honest does everything most people want to do

It is you tubers that just want content for their channels that make us think we need all this stuff the truth is we dont
2021-4-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wait for a Mavic Pro 3.  Its bound to have variable aperture.
2021-4-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want something now thats good enough for your needs, has most of the bells and whistles all the safety features and the price point is good for you, the air2s is going to be a really good choice, if you need more or will need more then you could wait for M3P , but we are not sure when we will see this, so get air2s and if the 3 comes along and you feel you need it then just sell the air2s , they are not that difficult to sell on.
2021-4-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Mavic Air 2 so the DJI Air 2S is just an incremental upgrade.  I'm going to hold out for the DJI Pro 3.  Some  have rumored the Pro 3 could be released as early as September 2021 but also seen others saying Jan 2022.  In any case Mavic Air 2 does everything I need.  

Good luck in making your buying decision.
2021-4-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-17 01:50
If you want something now thats good enough for your needs, has most of the bells and whistles all the safety features and the price point is good for you, the air2s is going to be a really good choice, if you need more or will need more then you could wait for M3P , but we are not sure when we will see this, so get air2s and if the 3 comes along and you feel you need it then just sell the air2s , they are not that difficult to sell on.

Bad advice that
2021-4-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-17 07:43
I have a Mavic Air 2 so the DJI Air 2S is just an incremental upgrade.  I'm going to hold out for the DJI Pro 3.  Some  have rumored the Pro 3 could be released as early as September 2021 but also seen others saying Jan 2022.  In any case Mavic Air 2 does everything I need.  

Now that is good advice
2021-4-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 4-17 22:12
Now that is good advice

Thanks.
2021-4-18
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-17 07:43

I'm with downtown. My air 2 does everything I need.
2021-4-18
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

I have an Air 2 and recently I bought the Air 2S. The image quality it's a really game changer between this drones. I don't see the 2S as an "upgrade" only... the difference in the sensor it's very very noticeable. The pictures and video are simply INCREDIBLE, far away that my captures with Air 2. I'm really impressed, I didn't expect so much improvement but it's a HUGE change and you can saw this inmediately in only one flight footage (flying both at the same conditions trying to capture the same scenes).
Believe me, it's really a HUGE difference if you goal it's better IQ like what I been looking for.
2021-4-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Djimaniac Posted at 4-18 07:11
I'm with downtown. My air 2 does everything I need.

2021-4-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I would see if anyone is doing a direct comparison of the Air 2s & MP 2 Zoom. What quality level will you be happy with, try to find actual photos/ videos shot on the drone. Also if not in a hurry wait for the MP3 and see what it can do.
2021-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules