SMART CONTROLLER with A2S = Disaster...DJI, what is your move here?
12Next >
4682 54 2021-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hello,
Seems that a lot of users complains about compatibility between A2S and Smart Controller...
1. Seems that Smart controller does not process in time the image and A2S is going crazy in Follow Me...almost crashing in persons if you stop from running = drone is not braking fast enough.
2. A lot of Smart Controller users reported a full lock of Smart C in flight, needed a full reboot.
3. Complains related to distance covered by signal.

so...DJI...what do you do with this info? Are you working on it or sleep tight?
2021-4-19
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Also DJI, please tell me: WHAT IS WITH THAT HORRIBLE LAG ON SMART CONTROLLER ???????????
2021-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 4-19 12:39
Also DJI, please tell me: WHAT IS WITH THAT HORRIBLE LAG ON SMART CONTROLLER ???????????

Maybe post sample ? I have seen two you tube users updating SC through the app and both had problems with new FW and Air2s . Its required that you update using Dji assistant, I have previous experience of trying to cut this update corner and had to revert to updating through assistant.
2021-4-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

full lock of Smart Controller? holy ...

cancelled my order lmao
2021-4-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's called bleeding edge technology for a reason.
2021-4-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

well, we have been demanding that the sc is forced to be compatible with new drones at all costs.  even when the performance is sub-par, we demand dji to put it out they.  guess the caved on teh 2s and it's prob so bad on the mini2 they couldn't sleep at night if they gave you the sw.  we won't get into goggles.  /s
2021-4-19
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-19 19:48
well, we have been demanding that the sc is forced to be compatible with new drones at all costs.  even when the performance is sub-par, we demand dji to put it out they.  guess the caved on teh 2s and it's prob so bad on the mini2 they couldn't sleep at night if they gave you the sw.  we won't get into goggles.  /s

I guess those that paid for the Smart Controller want to make the most of their investment. There's nothing wrong with that. Having never had the SC, I can't speak from that viewpoint. But the controller that comes with the AS2 seems to work perfectly fine. And having the screen ABOVE the controls always seems to be more preferable to me. Since the AS2 comes packaged with that controller, I don't see why these people just don't use that. It's not like the SC is their ONLY option.
2021-4-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you seen this thread - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline
2021-4-20
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It really does seem as if DJI keep releasing product and features with absolutely zero real life testing.

Like so many other things, an expanded beta test of this would have picked up this issue pre-launch.  They simply didnt look.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 4-20 02:38
It really does seem as if DJI keep releasing product and features with absolutely zero real life testing.

Like so many other things, an expanded beta test of this would have picked up this issue pre-launch.  They simply didnt look.

How do you know this, do you know what happened. I ask because I have followed two you tubers setting up their controllers , both used the app to update FW and both had similar problems. But update clearly tells you only update through Dji assistant, so we know these two didn’t follow correct instructions, which should raise a flag or at least not be ignored. We have also seen a couple flying happily with their update, I’m not certain how they updated but everything seemed normal. Yes updates don’t always go smoothly but this is the same with all tech computers phones cameras etc.
beta testing is part of djis programs I’m not aware how or even if they did for air2s, but I’m certain at least two people updated the wrong way this I know and unless yo go back and update correctly you really don’t know if that was a mistake.
If we continue to just pass comments or pretend we know why something is not working we will never get it sorted.
I am waiting for Air2s maybe Friday and I will correctly update and see if the problem still exists.

Incidentally go back 2xFW for SC I did the same and FW was not working correctly so updated with dji assistant and it worked fine.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 4-19 19:48
well, we have been demanding that the sc is forced to be compatible with new drones at all costs.  even when the performance is sub-par, we demand dji to put it out they.  guess the caved on teh 2s and it's prob so bad on the mini2 they couldn't sleep at night if they gave you the sw.  we won't get into goggles.  /s

It shouldn’t be a real problem, both SC and remote for Air2s work on Ocusync 2.0 , so no reason if standard controller works then SC should be compatible, it works fine with Air2 also on Ocysync 2.0
2021-4-20
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

There's more than enough data from people trying this to see its a problem that occurs frequently enough that even the most basic real world beta trial would have picked up on.
Its not the first time DJI release things that a simple pre-release trial would easily have identified either.

SC2 will likely be the next release anyway given the surveys they've been sending out.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 4-20 03:21
There's more than enough data from people trying this to see its a problem that occurs frequently enough that even the most basic real world beta trial would have picked up on.
Its not the first time DJI release things that a simple pre-release trial would easily have identified either.

No it could be FW problem, but its nothing new in tech and is quite normal in drones. Its strange because standard controller is Ocysync 2 same as controller in air2
2021-4-20
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 02:56
How do you know this, do you know what happened. I ask because I have followed two you tubers setting up their controllers , both used the app to update FW and both had similar problems. But update clearly tells you only update through Dji assistant, so we know these two didn’t follow correct instructions, which should raise a flag or at least not be ignored. We have also seen a couple flying happily with their update, I’m not certain how they updated but everything seemed normal. Yes updates don’t always go smoothly but this is the same with all tech computers phones cameras etc.
beta testing is part of djis programs I’m not aware how or even if they did for air2s, but I’m certain at least two people updated the wrong way this I know and unless yo go back and update correctly you really don’t know if that was a mistake.
If we continue to just pass comments or pretend we know why something is not working we will never get it sorted.

Sorry, but is that something new in this version? I never got the message saying only update through Assistant 2. Have I missed something?
2021-4-20
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 4-19 21:51
I guess those that paid for the Smart Controller want to make the most of their investment. There's nothing wrong with that. Having never had the SC, I can't speak from that viewpoint. But the controller that comes with the AS2 seems to work perfectly fine. And having the screen ABOVE the controls always seems to be more preferable to me. Since the AS2 comes packaged with that controller, I don't see why these people just don't use that. It's not like the SC is their ONLY option.

That's a matter of opinion coming from someone that doesn't use a SC.
People are clamoring for it on the mini2.
I have a SC and it's much preferable to using a phone in many ways.
It's tough to form an opinion without trying one first.
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 02:56
How do you know this, do you know what happened. I ask because I have followed two you tubers setting up their controllers , both used the app to update FW and both had similar problems. But update clearly tells you only update through Dji assistant, so we know these two didn’t follow correct instructions, which should raise a flag or at least not be ignored. We have also seen a couple flying happily with their update, I’m not certain how they updated but everything seemed normal. Yes updates don’t always go smoothly but this is the same with all tech computers phones cameras etc.

Not strictly true - the DJI documentation states ........

Notes:
 A Smart Controller with a firmware version of v01.00.04.75 or earlier must be updated using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in Firmware Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads

SC Firmware version V01.00.04.75 is quite early and most SCs updated recently will already have been updated to a later firmware standard. The DJI instruction doesn't state that all subsequent updates must be done via DJI Assistant 2. IF that is the case - then DJI need to clarify that ALL amendment must be carried out via DJI Assistant 2.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gelert Posted at 4-20 04:26
Not strictly true - the DJI documentation states ........

Notes:

I’m not 100% sure, it does mention in the overview, it also I makes a mention of the need to update on assistant 4.75.
If as you say that most or all using have already done this “ then begs the question why mention it”

I’m looking at this from users on YT having updated two of them and both of them used app to update thats the common denominator one of them has already said he only ever uses app to update and has had previous problems with the SC . There is also a couple on YT who updated having reported no problem using SC with Air2s.

On one occasion i also didn’t update using assistant and had definite problems with SC , this was pointed out to me on the forum here, I did a  refresh with assistant and it cured my problem .
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FloridaNext Posted at 4-20 03:29
Sorry, but is that something new in this version? I never got the message saying only update through Assistant 2. Have I missed something?

If you read overview in release notes .
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 05:10
I’m not 100% sure, it does mention in the overview, it also I makes a mention of the need to update on assistant 4.75.
If as you say that most or all using have already done this “ then begs the question why mention it”

I'm not suggesting for one minute that updating via DJI Assistant 2 is not a best practice.

My point is that DJI mention firmware 4.75 - why mention it at all if ALL updates are to carried out via DJI Assistant 2 ?? - IF Assisant 2 is essential then DJI need to make that statement in their documentation.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gelert Posted at 4-20 05:29
I'm not suggesting for one minute that updating via DJI Assistant 2 is not a best practice.

My point is that DJI mention firmware 4.75 - why mention it at all if ALL updates are to carried out via DJI Assistant 2 ?? - IF Assisant 2 is essential then DJI need to make that statement in their documentation.

I have never seen anything other than assistant to update, maybe you have seen where they have said update through app , I’m just not aware, ill go check earlier release notes .
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 05:46
I have never seen anything other than assistant to update, maybe you have seen where they have said update through app , I’m just not aware, ill go check earlier release notes .

The DJI Smart Controller manual provides 2 methods of update - wireless and Assistant 2 ........

Method 1: Wireless Update
Make sure the remote controller is connected to the internet while updating.
1. Power on the remote controller. Tap and then . Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap
“System Update”.
2. Tap “Check for Updates” to check the firmware. A prompt will appear if a firmware update is
available.
3. Follow the prompts to finish the update.
4. The remote controller automatically restarts after the update is finished.

Method 2: DJI Assistant 2
1. Make sure the remote controller is powered off, and then connect the remote controller to a computer using a USB 3.0 USB-C cable.
2. Power on the remote controller.
3. Launch DJI Assistant 2, and log in using a DJI account.
4. Click the Smart Controller icon, and then “Firmware Update”.
5. Select and confirm the firmware version you want to update.
6. DJI Assistant 2 will download and update the firmware automatically.
7. The remote controller will restart after update.
2021-4-20
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 4-19 18:05
It's called bleeding edge technology for a reason.

Very true!!
Anybody that buys something like this on release day or very soon after must consider that they are basically un-paid testers...
Especially with the level of tech and complexity nowadays.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gelert Posted at 4-20 05:56
The DJI Smart Controller manual provides 2 methods of update - wireless and Assistant 2 ........

Thank you, but i have never seen this in the release notes thats what I was looking for.
2021-4-20
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

Gelert Posted at 4-20 05:56

So now I’m even more confused.  Why would DJI offer 2 different update options when one of them (based on what I’m reading here) isn’t really reliable?  If the wireless option is not reliable then why would they even offer it as an option?

I just bought the Air 2S (my first drone) and the smart controller and at this point everything seems to be working just fine however since I’m new at this I don’t really have a point of reference to know for sure. By the way, I used the wireless update method, now I’m wondering if I need to use the Digital Assistant to update everything or just leave it alone since everything seems to be working.
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 06:05
Thank you, but i have never seen this in the release notes thats what I was looking for.

SC Firmware updates V 01.00.530 and V 01.00.0650 have the following statements which permit Method 2 only (Assistant 2) ..............

This firmware version contains important updates, and the Smart Controller can only be updated to this firmware version using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in the System Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads.

All subsequent SC Firmware updates have a different note which only relates to SC's pre V 01.00.04.75 ......

A Smart Controller with a firmware version of v01.00.04.75 or earlier must be updated using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in Firmware Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads

As a result, one can only presume that post FW V 01.00.04.75 both wireless and Assistant 2 methods of update are acceptable otherwise the note would have remained the same as updates V 01.00.530 and
V 01.00.0650 - ie Assistant 2 only.
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-20 06:40
So now I’m even more confused.  Why would DJI offer 2 different update options when one of them (based on what I’m reading here) isn’t really reliable?  If the wireless option is not reliable then why would they even offer it as an option?

I just bought the Air 2S (my first drone) and the smart controller and at this point everything seems to be working just fine however since I’m new at this I don’t really have a point of reference to know for sure. By the way, I used the wireless update method, now I’m wondering if I need to use the Digital Assistant to update everything or just leave it alone since everything seems to be working.

Initially, most people updated using the wireless method. However, FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650 contained significant updates that were only possible using Assistant 2. This is where the problems started as a number of people attempted to update using the wireless method which failed.

It now appears that, once passed these two revisions, DJI maintain it is acceptable to to use either method.

Which brings us back to my earlier point - if Assistant 2 is now the only method of update then DJI need to amend both the User Manual and FW release notes in order to prevent any further problems.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gelert Posted at 4-20 06:41
SC Firmware updates V 01.00.530 and V 01.00.0650 have the following statements which permit Method 2 only (Assistant 2) ..............

This firmware version contains important updates, and the Smart Controller can only be updated to this firmware version using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in the System Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads.

Cheers thanks for the comprehensive post.
2021-4-20
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 05:11
If you read overview in release notes .

Maybe it's not my day today but is says:

A Smart Controller with a firmware version of v01.00.04.75 or earlier must be updated using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in Firmware Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads

The version which they refer to is a very old version so I believed that with later versions you can eventually update via SC. (???)
2021-4-20
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Gelert Posted at 4-20 06:53
Initially, most people updated using the wireless method. However, FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650 contained significant updates that were only possible using Assistant 2. This is where the problems started as a number of people attempted to update using the wireless method which failed.

It now appears that, once passed these two revisions, DJI maintain it is acceptable to to use either method.

Thanks a lot for the info!  Any idea how old FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650 are?  I just bought my SC last week.  Unfortunately, I did not make note of the version of FW that was on the SC before I used the wireless update method to update to the current version.  Just trying to figure out if the FW on my SC at the time of purchase last week was something newer than FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650.
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FloridaNext Posted at 4-20 09:13

2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FloridaNext Posted at 4-20 09:13

Well thats the problem, we might be presuming which is not always good, I have habit of now always updating controller by assistant and so far its been fine, i dont have my Air2s yet so no test on that yet.
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 10:04
Well thats the problem, we might be presuming which is not always good, I have habit of now always updating controller by assistant and so far its been fine, i dont have my Air2s yet so no test on that yet.

2021-4-20
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

My Version is V01.01.0040. That's what is was after the wireless update and that's what it is now after using DJI Assistant 2.  No difference.
2021-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Electromen Posted at 4-20 16:42
My Version is V01.01.0040. That's what is was after the wireless update and that's what it is now after using DJI Assistant 2.  No difference.

How is it working
2021-4-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-20 09:31
Thanks a lot for the info!  Any idea how old FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650 are?  I just bought my SC last week.  Unfortunately, I did not make note of the version of FW that was on the SC before I used the wireless update method to update to the current version.  Just trying to figure out if the FW on my SC at the time of purchase last week was something newer than FW releases V 01.00.0530 and V 01.00.0650.

Hi Chuck - they go back to early 2020.

If you want check out exact details of the FW releases ---- have a look here ......

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Notes_EN_202104.pdf
2021-4-20
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Also there is a need to fix in Mastershots the propellers appearance in video footage...I mean, what the hell? No one from DJI Development Department have seen it, or just did not give a ... related to this?

Still Smart C updated at last FW, with A2S updated last Fw  = still have problems at tracking, also have lag on video in under 2 km outside city, problems with braking (is following too fast and is almost hitting me if I am on a bike.
2021-4-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, thank you for reaching out with us. We are sorry for bringing you any unpleasure experience on the DJI Air 2S and the Smart Controller. Could you please share any video sample or the screenshot recording on the DJI Fly app? We will help to check further with our engineers and give it back to you as soon as possible. And if you have any log files regarding with the issue you mentioned, please upload then on the google drive, it will be helpful as well.

Thanks.
2021-4-21
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-21 03:42
Hello there, thank you for reaching out with us. We are sorry for bringing you any unpleasure experience on the DJI Air 2S and the Smart Controller. Could you please share any video sample or the screenshot recording on the DJI Fly app? We will help to check further with our engineers and give it back to you as soon as possible. And if you have any log files regarding with the issue you mentioned, please upload then on the google drive, it will be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Your asking us to test a problem that is quite apparent for many people.
I think dji has an engineering problem!
The Air 2S with Smart Controller should have been tested and if it wasn't at this point after reading this thread and some others dji should be testing this setup.

There are people here that read about the compatabillity of these two products only to find out they are far from reliable!
2021-4-21
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 4-21 03:26
Also there is a need to fix in Mastershots the propellers appearance in video footage...I mean, what the hell? No one from DJI Development Department have seen it, or just did not give a ... related to this?

Still Smart C updated at last FW, with A2S updated last Fw  = still have problems at tracking, also have lag on video in under 2 km outside city, problems with braking (is following too fast and is almost hitting me if I am on a bike.

Have a look at Henrik's video - seems there's a fix ......

2021-4-21
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Gelert Posted at 4-20 23:01
Hi Chuck - they go back to early 2020.

If you want check out exact details of the FW releases ---- have a look here ......

Thank you for the info, it’s very helpful.
2021-4-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules