Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suggestions for FAA-compliant anti-collision lights for Mini 2
1734 10 2021-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skatin_Tater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 410676 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,
I'm just beginning the search for anti-collision lights that meet the 3 SM FAA requirement, and also keep the Mini 2 under 249 g. I've seen a few listed in my initial search (Lume Cube Strobe, Ulanzi DR-01 and -02, and the Firehouse ARC) and wanted to know if anyone would recommend one over the other. Also, does the FAA have an endorsement for any of them? I just want to make sure the one I buy meets the 3 SM requirement.

I'm taking my 107 exam in a few days, so I'm trying to figure out which light to get. I'd like to keep a Mini 2 under 249 g, but I'll need one for a Matrice 600 Pro as well for work purposes.

Thanks for any insight/info.

2021-4-20
Use props
Skatin_Tater
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

OK, I might have answered my own question. Here are some links to the actual testing and the tabular results. I'll just leave this up for anyone who's interested.

2021-4-20
Use props
RobZilla
First Officer
Flight distance : 228550 ft
United States

Good luck on the test! Passed mine a couple of months ago.

As for strobe lights, none are really FAA approved or compliant per se. But since you've watched the video and you're getting your 107, it wouldn't hurt to get the Firehouse Arc V and also register your drone as it will put you over the 250g limit. I mean its only five dollars and would benefit you in the long run on questionable recreational or business flights.  

Also as noted in the video, the lights are really for other aircraft in flight to see your drone which is why its recommended to be put on top. If you truly want to be safe, get a 2nd and put it on the bottom or side so you or your assisting visual observers can spot it.

2021-4-20
Use props
Donut Michigan
First Officer
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Thanks for the video.
What type of questions are on the test or is there somewhere we can study for it.
2021-4-20
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 2819580 ft
  • >>>
United States

i always suggest the firehouse strobes.

if you are going to your part 107, are you planning to register all of your drones except this one?  i guess i'm not sure why it is so important to you to keep the weight down.
2021-4-20
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Captain
Flight distance : 21604 ft
United States

Skatin_Tater, Liked the video, I use the Firehouse lights, the CREE and ARC, that seem to do real well.  I make one suggestion to all who are operating LED lights in a
close area - at the least wear dark glasses/never look directly into the light.  Yes the pulse only last a split second, but think of all the times you will see the pulses, and slowly it does the damage to your eyes.
I am having problems with my eyes, NO not ONLY because of LED light, but many other things as well, that at the present time I am getting injections in my left eye.
Handle LED lights with caution, and all will probably be okay.  
2021-4-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there Skatin_Tater. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( strobe light  ) for your DJI drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory on there DJI drone. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI drone and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

ARC V for the win.  Will need to register the Mini 2 then but what a great anti-collision light.
2021-4-21
Use props
Skatin_Tater
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donut Michigan Posted at 4-20 13:03
Thanks for the video.
What type of questions are on the test or is there somewhere we can study for it.

I ended up using Prepare from ASA, but there are also lots of free tutorials online.

The FAA has study materials available too (sroll to the bottom of the page). I'm in a scramble to learn the new flight over people, night operations, and remote ID rules, since my study guide isn't updated yet and the test is tomorrow.

2021-4-21
Use props
Deltaflight
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4642 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-4-20 20:14
Hello there Skatin_Tater. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( strobe light  ) for your DJI drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory on there DJI drone. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI drone and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

Any plans to do so "testing" you mention? Certainly would help folks become more compliant with regulatory obligations to fly at night.
3-21 00:57
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25013 ft
United States

A 250g drone with added weight?    Hmmmmmm.  Kinda defeats the purpose of a 250g drone.

If I was flying at night. .or in low light. . .  . (assuming that's legit from a "staying in sight" standpoint). . .I would look for a heavier drone (which can likely tolerate the incremental weight gain with less of a performance impediment)

3-21 21:22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules