Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Very disappointed no SDK support on the roadmap for Mini2 or Air2S.
12Next >
7436 57 2021-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just saw that the Mini2 and the Air2S will not be supported by the SDK,  I would just like to say that Im very disappointed by this,  Especially as the Mini1 was supported.

From the DJI Github - https://github.com/dji-sdk/Mobile-SDK-iOS/issues/456

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 09.42.07.png
2021-4-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, what a shame that DJI has no plan to provide SDK support for Mini 2.  IMHO that is a really bad decision on their part.  
2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-25 09:11
Wow, what a shame that DJI has no plan to provide SDK support for Mini 2.  IMHO that is a really bad decision on their part.

I was gutted when I saw this today,   I’m hoping enough people see this and complain that they might change their minds.
2021-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Odd. Wonder why?
2021-4-25
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Sweet, this makes me even happier I didn't rush out and buy a mini 2.

I'm sorry to those who are missing out, but this is what you get from a company who cares more about their bottom line then you the customer.

2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe a push to buy more expensive drones, but in Europe the mini2 is perfect for mapping as it can overfly people and property whereas larger drones legally cannot.
2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-25 09:45
Sweet, this makes me even happier I didn't rush out and buy a mini 2.

I'm sorry to those who are missing out, but this is what you get from a company who cares more about their bottom line then you the customer.

It doesn’t currently affect the USA  but I. Europe the only drone that can legally fly over property or people not in control of the pilot in the mini1/2. The mini2 is perfect for legal property mapping with software like drone deploy or Mitch if the sdk is released.  I have the m2p which will go this really well but sadly since Christmas it’s not legal.
2021-4-25
Use props
RobZilla
Captain
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting and kind of disappointed regarding the SDK for now. While that person may say they don't support the Mini 2 and Air 2S, they probably are not at liberty to say or know, sort of like how the forum mods do here. Hoping it does change soon...

I do see one "pending" feature on the Air 2 in the SDK release targeted on 6/20/21 is "smart fly mission".  Hopefully there's more info if/when the SDK is released with that feature. Description says "Added support: SpotLight 2.0 , Active Track 3.0 and POI 3.0". It may just be bug fixes and/or enhancements for those included features!
2021-4-25
Use props
Tuxtard
Captain
Flight distance : 9811827 ft
Serbia

This just means that we are probably going to get a few more features via updates. SDK is released for drones that are done being developed and updated, and are just being maintained.
2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 4-25 13:23
This just means that we are probably going to get a few more features via updates. SDK is released for drones that are done being developed and updated, and are just being maintained.

Except it’s not even on the roadmap to be supported.
2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobZilla Posted at 4-25 10:51
Interesting and kind of disappointed regarding the SDK for now. While that person may say they don't support the Mini 2 and Air 2S, they probably are not at liberty to say or know, sort of like how the forum mods do here. Hoping it does change soon...

I do see one "pending" feature on the Air 2 in the SDK release targeted on 6/20/21 is "smart fly mission".  Hopefully there's more info if/when the SDK is released with that feature. Description says "Added support: SpotLight 2.0 , Active Track 3.0 and POI 3.0". It may just be bug fixes and/or enhancements for those included features!

There is a published roadmap for when drones will be added to the sdk.
2021-4-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 4-25 13:23

SDK is released for drones that are done being developed and updated, and are just being maintained.
There's nothing correct about that.
The reason DJI releases an SDK is to assist 3rd party developers to develop software that works with a particular drone and it's features.
2021-4-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The writing has been on the wall for this for awhile now.  They have been neutering the SDK since after the Mavic 2 series came out.  
2021-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 4-26 00:47
The writing has been on the wall for this for awhile now.  They have been neutering the SDK since after the Mavic 2 series came out.

The Mini 1 got reasonable support,  I think it went down hill with the Air2 as that got really buggy.
2021-4-26
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
United States

Just theory crafting here but knowing how these billion dollar companies operate* it wouldn't surprise me that the original DJI dev team hasn't since been fully replaced and the new teams direction is not what the original DJI team intended. How many people use the SDK? I'd bet it's less then 3% of all it's customers, hmm we can increase margins if we cut SDK support from our consumer line by 3-5% a year, who cares about all the angry customers who lose out, we'll see a greater ROI at the end of the year. I've said it on FB, The release of the Mavic mini was the release of a New DJI. It should of never had the Mavic name as it didn't carry any of the weight the Mavic brand is known for, instead it Boasts the Mavic name while falling short in upholding the Mavic reputation.

What other signs are there that this is the case? DJI provides a Fly Away warranty but it's only for (At the Time) the mini 2/air 2, Gee wouldn't your entire (Current in production) lineup be supported? Why is the FPV/Air2S not supported under the new DJI Care Fly Away program? If this DJI was still of original roots I'd expect them to cover the full sweep from new to old, or at the very least support it's newest launched drones.

(*This is based off asumptions from other industries where a "Studio" will exsist under name A but will layoff it's entire staff and rehire while still opperating under the "Studio A" name even though all the decsion makers have since changed hands and the "replacements" are free to decide what direction they will go instead.)

2021-4-26
Use props
Tuxtard
Captain
Flight distance : 9811827 ft
Serbia

Labroides Posted at 4-25 21:46
SDK is released for drones that are done being developed and updated, and are just being maintained.
There's nothing correct about that.
The reason DJI releases an SDK is to assist 3rd party developers to develop software that works with a particular drone and it's features.

Yes, but they don't want the hassle of updating SDK each time every supported drone has a feature update. That's why they are aiming to release SDK support when the drone is more or less polished.
2021-4-26
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 4-26 06:15
Yes, but they don't want the hassle of updating SDK each time every supported drone has a feature update. That's why they are aiming to release SDK support when the drone is more or less polished.

You've got it all wrong ... but that goes for many in this forum.
2021-4-26
Use props
texgeekboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347024 ft
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-26 03:48
Just theory crafting here but knowing how these billion dollar companies operate* it wouldn't surprise me that the original DJI dev team hasn't since been fully replaced and the new teams direction is not what the original DJI team intended. How many people use the SDK? I'd bet it's less then 3% of all it's customers, hmm we can increase margins if we cut SDK support from our consumer line by 3-5% a year, who cares about all the angry customers who lose out, we'll see a greater ROI at the end of the year. I've said it on FB, The release of the Mavic mini was the release of a New DJI. It should of never had the Mavic name as it didn't carry any of the weight the Mavic brand is known for, instead it Boasts the Mavic name while falling short in upholding the Mavic reputation.

What other signs are there that this is the case? DJI provides a Fly Away warranty but it's only for (At the Time) the mini 2/air 2, Gee wouldn't your entire (Current in production) lineup be supported? Why is the FPV/Air2S not supported under the new DJI Care Fly Away program? If this DJI was still of original roots I'd expect them to cover the full sweep from new to old, or at the very least support it's newest launched drones.

Your thought on corporate outlook for ROI on stuff like SDK is spot on.  I am a 40 year computer professional, and when the bean counters get involved, technology can sometimes get thrown out the window even though it costs little to keep it going especially when customer approval is considered.

I was surprised with the DJI Assistant 2 for the DJI Mini 2 in regards to not being able to modify the firmware on the drone, only the RC.  The program for the Mavic Mini allowed it.  On a forum here some bright guy posted a hack to allow it to do that.  It is literally as simple as changing a 0 to a 1 in a text file used by the program.  I'm wondering why DJI hasn't formally allowed it.  I can't see how not providing that would decrease their cost or increase their revenue.
2021-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just theory crafting here but knowing how these billion dollar companies operate* it wouldn't surprise me that the original DJI dev team hasn't since been fully replaced and the new teams direction is not what the original DJI team intended. How many people use the SDK? I'd bet it's less then 3% of all it's customers, hmm we can increase margins if we cut SDK support from our consumer line by 3-5% a year, who cares about all the angry customers who lose out, we'll see a greater ROI at the end of the year. I've said it on FB, The release of the Mavic mini was the release of a New DJI. It should of never had the Mavic name as it didn't carry any of the weight the Mavic brand is known for, instead it Boasts the Mavic name while falling short in upholding the Mavic reputation.

What other signs are there that this is the case? DJI provides a Fly Away warranty but it's only for (At the Time) the mini 2/air 2, Gee wouldn't your entire (Current in production) lineup be supported? Why is the FPV/Air2S not supported under the new DJI Care Fly Away program? If this DJI was still of original roots I'd expect them to cover the full sweep from new to old, or at the very least support it's newest launched drones.

Having been part of a company that did that to their staff, I fully support your theory.
2021-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 4-26 06:15

If they were being smart,  they would be using the SDK code themselves so it wouldn't be double effort.
2021-4-26
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

One of the guys on another forum wrote to DJI today and was told this:

-----------------------------
Thank you for contacting DJI.

The support plan for Mini 2 just came out, but indeed Air 2S has no plan currently.

Hopefully our solution can help you.
Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support
----------------------------

So its far from clear..
2021-4-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 4-27 00:52
One of the guys on another forum wrote to DJI today and was told this:

Odd when only yesterday one of the devs actually said its not in the roadmap.
2021-4-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 4-27 00:52
One of the guys on another forum wrote to DJI today and was told this:

I just checked the roadmap.  Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced has been added but no Mini2.

Mobile SDK
Estimated Release Time: 2021-06-21
Version: 4.15
New Features
Added support for Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced
Confirmed

Supported Product: Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced

Supported Platform: Android

Description:Added support for Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced.

Added support for Zenmuse P1
Confirmed

Supported Product:Zenmuse P1

Supported Platform: iOS,Android

Description:

Added support for Zenmuse P1.

Added support for Zenmuse L1
Confirmed

Supported Product:Zenmuse L1

Description:

Added support for Zenmuse L1.

Added support for smart fly mission
Pending

Supported Product: Mavic Air 2

Description:

Added support SpotLight 2.0 , Active Track 3.0 and POI 3.0.

Added support for "startNetworkService" to set coordinate system parameter
Confirmed

Supported Product: Zenmuse H20 Series

Description:

Added support to set coordinate system parameter in startNetworkService to solve the problem of coordinate system mutation.

Fixed Bugs
Fix the issue of calling "setAutoLockGimbalEnabled" returns "NOT SUPPORT".
Confirmed

Product:Matrice 300 RTK

Platform:Android

Fix the issue of crash happen when calling "toStarted" listener in WaypointV2Mission.
Pending

Platform:iOS

Fix the issue of cannot set gimbal pitch angle value greater than 0.
Pending

Product:Mavic Mini

Fix the issue of reading wrong value of FlightControlModeSwitch.
Pending

Estimated Release Time: 2020-12-14
Version: 4.14
New Features
Added support for Mavic Air 2
Confirmed

Supported Product: Mavic Air 2
Description:Added support for Mavic Air 2.

Added support for fetching camera XMP file data
Confirmed

Supported Product: P4 series
Description:
By fetching XMP file data, you can obtain image attribute information without downloading original image.

Added support for Maintain Positioning Accuracy mode
Confirmed

Supported Product: P4R
Description:
Maintain Positioning Accuracy mode keeps the aircraft in the RTK FIX status when RTK disconnects or receives no satellite signal, so the aircraft will not have a sudden change in positioning.

Added support for Create Folder in camera
Confirmed

Description:
Added support for creating custom folder in camera, which is convenient for users to manage media files.

Added support for Sun Burn Protection
Confirmed

Description:
When the function is enabled, the infrared camera sensor automatically closes if strong sunlight is detected.

Fixed Bugs
ix the issue that “setFlightSpeed” of GoToAction did not take effect.
Confirmed

Product:Matrice 210 V2

Fix the issue that crach happens when initializing ”Waypoint” object without any parameters.
Confirmed

Product:Mavic 2 Pro

Fix the issue that timeout error returns when ”GimbalAttitudeAction” is invoked.
Pending

Product:Mavic 2 Pro

Estimated Release Time: 2020-07-27
Version: 4.13
New Features
Added support for Mavic Mini
Confirmed

Supported Product: Mavic Mini
Description:Added support for Mavic Mini

Function optimization of Matrice 300 RTK
Confirmed

Supported Product: Matrice 300 RTK
Description:
- Added diagnostics message for three propeller landing.
- Added support for consistency upgrade.
- Added support for waypoint 2.0 ellipsoidal height function.

Fixed Bugs
Fix the issue that getRTKEnabled function has no callback.
Pending

Product:Phantom 4 RTK

Fix the issue that getSDCardFileListSnapshot function cannot get more than 1000 photos.
Pending

Product:Matrice 210 RTK

Fix the compatibility issue of gradle 5.0.
Pending

Product:All

Fix the issue that getStorageLocationWithCompletion cannot get the correct storage location.
Pending

Product:Mavic 2

Fix the issue that calling stopConnectionToProduct failed to disconnect the aircraft.
Pending

Product:Mavic 2 Zoom

Estimated Release Time: 2020-05-07
Version: 4.12
2021-4-27
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
United States

Thinking about it, It's pretty clear DJI 2.0 is a camera company first and a drone maker second. So much effort going into it's camera tech, competing with go-pro, investing ... loads into the videography / film aspects. It's clear DJI wants to be a leader in the film industry and has changed paths of yesteryear in order to pursue that goal. With the launch of the FPV they didn't design that around FPV they designed that around being a FPV Filmmakers wet dream, it'll be used by all broadcast sport networks soon enough.

What once was a company who made drones and was innovating the drone industry has ceased and is quickly becoming a video giant. Their drones are now tools to carry camera's and film then they are about being "Fun".
2021-4-27
Use props
u77d01
lvl.4
United States

Given that the Mini 1 was supported by the SDK, and the Mini 2 was promoted as a direct upgrade improved version of the Mini 1, I think it's safe to assume that a large number of Mini 2 buyers did so with the anticipation that the 3rd party apps they used with the Mini 1 would ultimately work with the Mini 2 before too much time had passed. Add to that the fact that we were previously told that SDK support for the Mini 2 would arrive in 2nd quarter 2021. If the SDK does not appear at all for Mini 2, there are going to be significant numbers of Mini 2 buyers who are going to be quite upset, not to mention 3rd party developers who will feel that the rug was pulled out from beneath them. Extremely problematic.
2021-4-27
Use props
Alevpi
First Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

DJI let's say goodbye!

DJI you were once out of competition, now there are alternatives, and your attitude to users has become so terrible that my next drone will definitely not be DJI!
2021-4-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

u77d01 Posted at 4-27 15:01
Given that the Mini 1 was supported by the SDK, and the Mini 2 was promoted as a direct upgrade improved version of the Mini 1, I think it's safe to assume that a large number of Mini 2 buyers did so with the anticipation that the 3rd party apps they used with the Mini 1 would ultimately work with the Mini 2 before too much time had passed. Add to that the fact that we were previously told that SDK support for the Mini 2 would arrive in 2nd quarter 2021. If the SDK does not appear at all for Mini 2, there are going to be significant numbers of Mini 2 buyers who are going to be quite upset, not to mention 3rd party developers who will feel that the rug was pulled out from beneath them. Extremely problematic.

U77. I totally agree with you.
2021-4-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that is strange.
Change of SDK roadmap maybe?
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 01:43
Wow, that is strange.
Change of SDK roadmap maybe?

There is mixed messaging,  on the other forum they posted an email from DJI saying it was in the roadmap for version 5 of the SDK but thats not published on the developer site yet.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 02:02
There is mixed messaging,  on the other forum they posted an email from DJI saying it was in the roadmap for version 5 of the SDK but thats not published on the developer site yet.

Can't really believe this is true (as in the end of SDK support for M2 or MA2S)
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 02:04
Can't really believe this is true (as in the end of SDK support for M2 or MA2S)

You'd hope the developer on the DJI sdk GitHub site to be right.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 02:07
You'd hope the developer on the DJI sdk GitHub site to be right.

Right now I don't have the need to have this implemented, but some other apps do give more options.
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 02:15
Right now I don't have the need to have this implemented, but some other apps do give more options.

Id love to try the litchi fighter planner with the mini2.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 02:17
Id love to try the litchi fighter planner with the mini2.

I had Litchi for a short moment, but requested a refund.
2021-4-28
Use props
Alevpi
First Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Who thinks that the moderators of the forum know better than the programmers, asking questions here to people who usually do not know everything?
True, I can ask, but not the fact that they will be told...
2021-4-28
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 02:02
There is mixed messaging,  on the other forum they posted an email from DJI saying it was in the roadmap for version 5 of the SDK but thats not published on the developer site yet.

Geez they were talking about update 5 before the mini 1 was added to the SDK, I guess if they ever release v5 then the possibility will be back on the table. I wonder if the confirmations/disconfermations has been just that, Will the mini 2/air2s be supported on the current SDK? NO, Will the mini 2/air2s be supported on the v5SDK, Yes, when it's finished. So that later 2021 est we've heard is when the SDK will be finished and support for new drones can be added.

All speculation but the SDK was the only reason for me to purchase a mini 2, and with that said Litchi still hasn't updated to support virtual stick waypoints.
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-28 03:56
Geez they were talking about update 5 before the mini 1 was added to the SDK, I guess if they ever release v5 then the possibility will be back on the table. I wonder if the confirmations/disconfermations has been just that, Will the mini 2/air2s be supported on the current SDK? NO, Will the mini 2/air2s be supported on the v5SDK, Yes, when it's finished. So that later 2021 est we've heard is when the SDK will be finished and support for new drones can be added.

All speculation but the SDK was the only reason for me to purchase a mini 2, and with that said Litchi still hasn't updated to support virtual stick waypoints.

SDK 4.15 is slated for release in June,  so Im going with a 2022 release date for version 5.
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 4-28 03:14
Who thinks that the moderators of the forum know better than the programmers, asking questions here to people who usually do not know everything?
True, I can ask, but not the fact that they will be told...

It didnt come from this forum,  it was posted by one of the developers on the official git hub page.
2021-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 02:19
I had Litchi for a short moment, but requested a refund.

If I had more time I would buy a copy but at the moment I banged out with chores again.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 4-28 04:05
If I had more time I would buy a copy but at the moment I banged out with chores again.

I know that feeling.
2021-4-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules