Just got my first Inspire and just crashed it. =/
1266 5 2015-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thingamagid
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys,

This is my first time with a DJI product. I am an experienced hobbyist with quad copters and rc gadgets. There is good news and bad news. I am a 24 yr old active filmmaker and I love shooting amazing shots. This inspire 1 really 'inspired' me to take it to the next level. I have spent weeks on this forum and online reading up on peoples issues, tips, tricks, and any insight that can help avoid throwing away 3k. Luckily, I don't have to throw away 3k yet, but I am very worried...

So my first flight, I did everything I could. Check the values, IMU and compass calibration, and checking all signals to insure I am good to go. Tragedy struck. As soon as I take off, the inspire starts drifing to the right and auto adapts the landing gear (don't know why it did that when I had it off), I quickly try to get it to land but the landing gear is not lowererd anymore. I decide to just let it eat the ground as softly as I can but that was not without damage. The propeller broke, camera scratched and it came apart from the bottom of the aircraft. I was heart broken, but I thought it could be worse. I realized that maybe the bottom part of the camera (with those squishy things), was designed to come off like that. I force it back in the hole and pull the rubber thing through. So it looked fine, but I can't tell cause im not an expert. I replaced the propelleres and was willing to try again the next day. I did a bunch of tests again and made sure I reset all the settings and redo them each manually. I go to a new spot and auto take off (which i hate doin) but I wanted to test the system to see if my inspire suffered any damage. It all looked great from there. No issues. I had slight drifting but I think that was the wind. I am not sure how to montior the system to know whats right or wrong. I would switch modes between P-GPS and ATTI (I like ATTI more since I have more manual control). I had great flight time. I used two batteries - it was time to land and go home. Now all the kids in the park kept coming my way, I told them please be careful and don't come this way. There was a bunch of space for them to go around and I picked a spot away from everyone. FOR SOME REASON, they still gravitated towards me. I was JUST finished with my flights and was landing, and these kids ran at full speed with their soccer ball and kicked it right at the inspire as it was landing!!!!!!!!! Out of ALLLLL the space in the park ( IT WAS A HUGGGGGGGE PARK) I don't know why they decided to do this. A part of me became cynical and thought they did it on purpose. IT MADE no sense to me. They didn't even apologize and said its a free park, I don't even know what that means. Trust me when I say I chose the only space that no one was around. But they kept coming around me asking questions and I was getting pretty annoyed. The aircraft shut off mid air and hit the floor from about 2-3 ft or higher. It hit the ground but the landing gear was there. Nothing broke, but I am worried that there is damage to the inspire or motors that I may not know about.

So my questions are: how can I check to know if the motors are burning out, having problems and if the inspire is fine? I started it up again but i didnt want to fly it cause I was afraid something was wrong with it. The super sonic sensor on the bottom keeps making noise now, so does the camera. It sounds like an old PC modem or computer. I am not sure if that is normal or not. I don't have insurance or a protection plan either.

In summary, a couple of questions:

How can I check the status of the inspire if it needs repairs? Is there a pre flight check I don't know about?
Does anyone know of a protection plan or insurance I can get around NYC for this aircraft? (something that cover accidental damage as well)
Should I replace all the propellers again since it got hit with a soccer ball to be safe?
How many flights and batteries can you use in a day without wearing the inspire out?
Can you lose signal even if the RC is in ATTI mode? I saw some people always losing signal when it was in P-GPS mode.

I am sorry if I sound manic and crazy. You don't know how hard I worked to get this thing. I don't have much money and spent it all on this Inspire to help my love for film. Losing it would be like losing family to me =/. I am afraid to fly now. Thank you in advance for your help guys.

2015-7-17
Use props
BeenThere
lvl.1

United States

I'm not sure from your description of the "tumble" into the ground just how hard it hit the ground, but the camera did come off.    And then it fell to the ground from 2-3 feet.... I hate to say this and I know it will be devastating, but as far as I'm concerned you should send that craft in to be inspected by DJI before flying again. Sorry. This is a horrible outcome and expensive.
2015-7-17
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Regarding motors ...
Spin them up without props on ... if they sound similar to each other I shouldn´t worry about them!
They actually sound pretty cool if you flip the sticks around a bit ...
Also turn them manually by hand to see if any of them has more resistance to it than the others ... if not ... they are probably ok.
If there are any damage to them it would show.

My sonic sensor and the camera also make "noise" and I think that is normal.

Props are "cheap" ... I would replace them!

I get that you don´t have any kids of your own yet ...
A piece of advice ... don´t fly around them EVER !

And also ... you probably worry a bit to much for your own good ... but I am the same way ... so I understand you ...

You are pretty lucky that your Inspire is still holding together ... congrats!
2015-7-18
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I think you still have a lot of reading to do.
Find the answers for your own questions above and while you search for answers, you'll learn by all the shared experience in this forum.
If you don't know the purpose and names of every single part of your I1, it means you didn't do enough home work.

Don't let your I1 "eat the ground".
Learn how and what to do at all times.
It will probably be good to get you out of trouble.

I also do not suggest you flying ATTI just yet.
"More manual control" it's not for you until you're fully lectured and experienced flying GPS.
This experience doesn't come in four or five flights.
It takes time, and it's worth it.

I feel you panicking, which can be a good thing to get in the right direction.

Word of advice, do not fly at parks (with kids or excessive amount of people) or populated areas. Yes, it is difficult but possible.
People will gravitate towards you out of curiosity.
It's natural and you will have no time to divert your attention to people asking you questions and sometimes even wanting to touch the remote (it happened to me)

Now good luck and be safe out there while enjoying your I1.
It is a great bird.

2015-7-18
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Look, I think you've done well, considering.  I'm actually quit amazed that your bird is still operational.  It's an awesome bird, but can experience damage in a heart beat.  Yea...bloody kids! Lol...  It's a constant issue, I know.  I think you're doing fine...just carry on learning, and take it slow, ok?
2015-7-18
Use props
ageelectrical
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Can't see you having any problems with the motors unless one was forced to stall whilst still powered ,the aultrasonic sensor  does give a clicking chirping noise if you get close you may not hear the older you get due to high frquancy earring loss   The gamble ,I'll have to have a listen to ,it goes have motors so does make a noise. It may also have a fan to keep the electronics cool not sure this point though
2015-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules