APAS Bypass vs Brake performance.
4299 12 2021-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Since I bought the Air2S I was flying in normal mode with APAS Bypass activated and sideways movement activated, even when I don't usually fly close to objects... but a moment ago bypass mode started limiting my max speed to 20Km/h at high altitude for no reason. Landed, cleaned the OA sensors just in case, restarted the drone and it worked nice again. So I decided to try to fly with Brake mode instead of Bypass... and wow, the drone just flyes way better.

APAS bypass interferes with the controls even at high altitude, limiting your max speed, making the drone turn slower, maiking it less resposive to the inputs... The movement of the drone in bypass mode when flyng near to objects is also a bit random.

So for now on I'll be flying in normal mode with brake mode activated, wich just interferes by slowing/stopping when you are close to objects, wich is a much more predictable behaviour.

Maybe bypass is interesteing at low altitude when shooting video... but for 99,99% of my flights brake will do the job.

2021-5-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Interesting find, I will give that a try
2021-5-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

I didn't have much time before nightime, but I did two complete steep turns at high altitude, one with Bypass and one with Brake, both at full speed and full sticks in normal mode, and the one with Bypass mode on was performed at 26Km/h while the one with Brake mode the drone maintained a speed of 34Km/h, completing the turn in a tighter angle, so definetely flying better with Brake mode

Also with Brake mode I'm able to get up to 54Km/h in normal mode, while with Bypass mode can't get past 50Km/h, even with the wind in the back. Since I first flew the drone I've been wondering why I couldn't get to the advertised 15m/s (54Km/h) speed in normal mode... and yep, it's because Bypass mode was interfering.

Also the drone felt like it was flying worse than the Mini 2, like flying a bomber vs flying a fighter in videogames. I assumed it was due to the increased weight, but nope, was due to Bypass mode being on. In brake mode it feels more sporty and responsive.

Tomorrow I'll do some proper testing.
2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Huginn Kenningar. Good day and thank you for sharing these information and your flight experience with us here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2021-5-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

Yep, did a proper test at 100m altitude and it's 100% confirmed, APAS Bypass reduces your max speed (just a little bit) and dramatically reduces the turning ratio compared to Brake mode.

Climbing rate, and sideways flyight don't seem to be affected.

As a result when Bypass mode is active the flight is less smooth and more bulky compared to Brake mode, wich just feels smoother and more responsive/sportier.

Close to the ground or obstacles, flying with Bypass mode on may result in unpredictable flight trajectory and quite erratic behavior while in brake mode the drone flies perfectly fine in a more predictable way and just slow-downs or stops when an obstacle is detected.

Also the in Brake mode the drone don't brakes till the obstacle is quite close, while in Bypass mode that range of action is much higher, affecting the trajectory even when an obstacle is detected at further distances.

So in conclusion I'd say that either for low altitude and high altitude flights, Brake mode is far superior to Bypass, I'd only recommend Bypass if you try to pass the drone through a narrow place such a window, or between trees... just in those cases where brake mode would just brake and not let you advance and turning the OA sensors off would bee too dangerous.

Turn rate with bypass 7.4m/s:

Turn rate with brake 9.4m/s:

Max speed with bypass 14.3m/s:

Max speed with brake 15m/s:

2021-5-3
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the great information, I never would have thought to test these settings.  I'll be in brake from now on for this reason and also because there is no sideways avoidance and bypass could just put the drone into an obstacle that might not be readily visible on VLOS at low altitude.
2021-5-3
Use props
djiuser_Ij1CoQd6jmnl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 478524 ft

United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 2021-5-3 03:20
Yep, did a proper test at 100m altitude and it's 100% confirmed, APAS Bypass reduces your max speed (just a little bit) and dramatically reduces the turning ratio compared to Brake mode.

Climbing rate, and sideways flyight don't seem to be affected.

Hi .as a question  , When the bypass mode is selected and the drone is moving slowly (in normal mode but at a speed of 5 meters per second), does the drone brake or bypass in dealing with an obstacle?
2022-6-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Ij1CoQd6jmnl Posted at 6-6 00:54
Hi .as a question  , When the bypass mode is selected and the drone is moving slowly (in normal mode but at a speed of 5 meters per second), does the drone brake or bypass in dealing with an obstacle?

as bypass is selected it will bypass the obstacle
2022-6-6
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Its logical that bypass mode is acting like this because is always ready for finding and ready for avoiding obstacles. APAS is cooperating Your remote with You and needs more space to make the maneuver  to bypass obstacles and lowers the speed so to have time to think. Brake just brakes so its faster and breaks right on time and nearer. You cant have it all. In Mavic 3 that sees everywhere it is even  more restless than Air 2S and needs more space yo do the same thing.
2022-6-6
Use props
djiuser_Ij1CoQd6jmnl
lvl.2

Germany

JJB* Posted at 6-6 03:46
as bypass is selected it will bypass the obstacle

Thank u. Even in slowest speed?
2022-6-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Ij1CoQd6jmnl Posted at 6-6 10:24
Thank u. Even in slowest speed?

yes   try yourself ; fly at low speed towards an obstacle and see what happens....
2022-6-6
Use props
djiuser_Ij1CoQd6jmnl
lvl.2

Iran

JJB* Posted at 6-6 10:26
yes   try yourself ; fly at low speed towards an obstacle and see what happens....

Thanks so much.
2022-6-7
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Singapore

Thank you for the sharing the information, will definitely try this out...
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules