DJI admits battery issue. Fix on the way.
4360 23 2021-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

https://www.techradar.com/news/dji-admits-dji-mini-2-has-battery-issue-and-says-a-fix-is-coming
2021-5-3
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

So this applies to Air 2S as well, or did you post this in the wrong forum?
2021-5-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Sorry, this was supposed to be posted in the Mini 2 forum.
I've reposted this in the correct area.
2021-5-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

DJI admits battery issue. Fix on the way.

https://www.techradar.com/news/dji-admits-dji-mini-2-has-battery-issue-and-says-a-fix-is-coming
2021-5-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great...but that doesn't help me. Mine never discharges automatically even when sitting all alone and not attached to anything.
2021-5-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Apparently there is a firmware fix on the way....
2021-5-3
Use props
Switch639
lvl.4
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 5-3 18:44
Great...but that doesn't help me. Mine never discharges automatically even when sitting all alone and not attached to anything.

yeap thats true I noticed the same after leaving them outside of the charger
2021-5-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think this is the issue...and a possible correction:  " the batteries use a minute amount of charge to maintain vital functions and do not initiate auto-discharge. "
That seems to be saying if there is even a very small amount of current flowing out of the battery, it will not initiate the discharge function. The tiny current will occur when installed in the drone or hub, so..... its a programming error. But what about mine that still doesn't discharge outside that environment? I should say that in coastal Florida where I am, the humidity is very high all year long. Even with the a/c on max, the humidity level is still 40% or higher. So I think it could be that it makes for a tiny amount of current flowing between the terminals due to that moisture. I suspect the threshold current drain for auto discharge is set too low for reliable operation. Just my WAG......but in 45 years of engineering work, I was rarely wrong ;-)
2021-5-3
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I don't understand why all the fuss about this feature. Now people going on a long camping vacation will have to waste precious power bank juice just because some guys are too lazy to remove their batteries.

Can we build the same fuss now please about the horizon changes during flights, even with no wind? I think that this issue is much more frustrating.
2021-5-4
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140951 ft
Ireland

I didn't even realise these things had an intelligent discharge feature !  

that would be cool if/when they get it working.
The Irish weather here can catch u out alot leaving u with charged batteries and nowhere to go but when that happens i've just used it as a battery bank and charged phones etc to discharge.

Is their an optimal level they should be discharged to ?  Say the batteries are going to be idle for upto a week ?

Thanks  
2021-5-4
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

IrishD Posted at 5-4 01:53
I didn't even realise these things had an intelligent discharge feature !  

that would be cool if/when they get it working.

The auto feature works NOW? But not when the batteries are installed in the Dock or Quad.

So if you want this feature just lift the batteries out, or source one of the 3dprinted spacers/savers which are out there and the auto discharge kicks in perfectly.
2021-5-4
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 5-4 03:44
The auto feature works NOW? But not when the batteries are installed in the Dock or Quad.

So if you want this feature just lift the batteries out, or source one of the 3dprinted spacers/savers which are out there and the auto discharge kicks in perfectly.

Just turn the batteries around 180 degrees and store in hub
2021-5-4
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

TDZHDTV Posted at 5-4 05:38
Just turn the batteries around 180 degrees and store in hub

That doesn't work for me.. My batteries will only go in 1/2 way... I could force them, but it feels like its going to split the case right open.

You can of course modify the dock and remove the allignment groove whihc will allow the batteries to go in easily.. But its drastic and I am happier with other methods.
2021-5-5
Use props
CBQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1395466 ft
United States

My Mini 2 batteries showed the same behavior, no discharging if stored in the hub.

My question is: after now owning the Mini 2 for a couple months, and always keeping the batteries charged (thinking they were safely discharging on their own), have I now damaged my batteries to any significant extent?

During the past winter months, I don't get out to fly very often. And so the drone sat in storage most of those days (taking it out once every couple weeks just to discharge ~70% for each of the batteries). I would typically charge all up again before storing, thinking the discharge feature was working while in the hub.  
2021-5-5
Use props
Water_Guy
New

United States

Hello all!  Relatively new to the forum, and my battery issues are the reason for my visit!  Similar problem with my Mini 2 battery, and having a tough time connecting with DJI to actually get my non-working (and brand new) batteries replaced!  I've tried calls directly and submitting a repair request with no response.  Any suggestions would be wonderfully helpful!!
2021-5-5
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Water_Guy Posted at 5-5 10:28
Hello all!  Relatively new to the forum, and my battery issues are the reason for my visit!  Similar problem with my Mini 2 battery, and having a tough time connecting with DJI to actually get my non-working (and brand new) batteries replaced!  I've tried calls directly and submitting a repair request with no response.  Any suggestions would be wonderfully helpful!!

The article (link) states that a firmware fix is coming.
2021-5-5
Use props
CBQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1395466 ft
United States

Water_Guy Posted at 5-5 10:28

What issues are you having specifically? Are you able to use your new batteries at all?
2021-5-5
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Good to know !
2021-5-9
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

A week passed and still no fix…
Neither for battery, nor for horizon (de)calibration.
Fly safe!
2021-5-9
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Gif2D Posted at 5-9 07:39
A week passed and still no fix…
Neither for battery, nor for horizon (de)calibration.
Fly safe!

I'm not the slightest bit surprised.

2021-5-9
Use props
ValstedMakes
lvl.1
Norway

I have made a solution

But I think the issue actually is a good feature when travelling.
Read more here: A solution for the DJI Mini 2 battery storing problem

2021-5-13
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

ValstedMakes Posted at 5-13 15:41
I have made a solution https://youtu.be/nvcObe2k5x8

[view_image]

Very nice work....but it shouldn't be necessary.
The fix should come from the manufacturer, not one of their customers.
Fix it DJI.
2021-5-13
Use props
DroneyK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello ValstedMakes. Thank you! I read about your simple but effective accessory yesterday and printed a copy today. Prusa Mini helps DJI Mini 2 . The print is easy and gives instant results. Thank you so much for designing and sharing it. I really do want to store batteries safely in the charging hub and this is perfect for doing that. Much appreciated.
2021-5-15
Use props
ValstedMakes
lvl.1
Norway

DroneyK Posted at 5-15 04:51
Hello ValstedMakes. Thank you! I read about your simple but effective accessory yesterday and printed a copy today. Prusa Mini helps DJI Mini 2 . The print is easy and gives instant results. Thank you so much for designing and sharing it. I really do want to store batteries safely in the charging hub and this is perfect for doing that. Much appreciated.

Hi DroneyK

Thank you.. I really appreciate your feedback.
You are very welcome to share the solution, so other Mini drone pilots will find it..
2021-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules