Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sports Mode Bug, when you're not really in Sports Mode
12Next >
7012 43 2021-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I couldn't understand why the Mini 2 did so poorly in my wind test the other day, until I checked the flight logs and saw that despite the switch on the remote being in Sports Mode, and the screen indicating Sports Mode, the whole flight was made in Normal Mode with just normal mode power.

It means if you're struggling in strong wind and think you're in Sports Mode, you could be blown away because you're only actually in Normal Mode.
Unsure how can we still have such a major bug in software that's over a year old......

2021-5-9
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I am sure i read this the other day and the poster got knocked down for raising it… it had something to do wih launching
2021-5-9
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am sure i read this the other day and the poster got knocked down for raising it… it had something to do with launching in Sports Mode, rather than starting in Normal and switch modes after takeoff.
Surprisingly people said this was normal/expected behavour and not a defect.. but i could be wrong.
2021-5-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative video.  Nice investigative work on your part.    I've always taken off in normal mode and then switch to desired mode so I would have never noticed this bug.  
2021-5-9
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Kind of make sense from a safety point of view. Think about a beginner starting in sports mode from their urban back garden ... it might actually be an undocumented  'feature' ... ;-)
2021-5-9
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... evidently it is a bug in the gofly app not toggling the onscreen display mode to the actual one operating on the drone - because the data is obviously sent to the controller and phone app as the flight log shows it to be.
2021-5-9
Use props
relaxosmo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

Sorry for offtopic, but another bug is the 2.7k/50/60p mode distorsion correction algorithm.
Just yaw a little and you will see the strange waves at the horizon.
Other video modes are fine, but my best mode is 2.7k/50
Mavic Air is the same. What about Air2 and 2S?
2021-5-9
Use props
steamship
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Well spotted and glad I watched it as you mentioned it also happens with Cine mode.
2021-5-9
Use props
smbishop
Captain
Flight distance : 1760007 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes!  Checked my logs and this is happening to me as well.  Thank you for sharing!
2021-5-9
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is the post i referred to above

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237564

Is this the same issue?

2021-5-9
Use props
Ian in London
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 5-9 07:38
This is the post i referred to above

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237564

Yep. Same issue. Still causing confusion.......   

I appreciate it may be a design element to ensure you're in Normal mode, but A, the screen should match the actual mode, and B, many people take off in CineSmooth mode, especially if they're in woods or near obstacles, and will think they're in a slow-mode when they're not.
So really, the screen needs to reflect what's actually happening.

Ian
2021-5-9
Use props
yogi053
Captain
Flight distance : 7953858 ft
United Kingdom

I totally bow to your greater knowlege Ian. It was I, who, in the other thread perceived it as being not a probem as I always check all switch positions and settings before take off. I understood the matter of the mini 2 always being in 'normal' mode on takeoff and made sure my switch was in that central position and changing flight modes only after taking off. I also agree that information on the screen should accurately reflect which flight mode you are currently in and I can see where this can lead to problems for some. It definitely was not my intention to offend or upset anyone by indicating that I had seen this matter raised before and only wished to point out that it had been covered before.
2021-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

On other craft phantoms and other Mavics, you would first get a warning that you cannot take off in sport mode. Manual will also tell you only can take off in P mode.

While this should be made a bit more friendly, you must also remember as the pilot and for safety sake that you must take off in normal mode. For instance in Cine mode if you tried to take off the likelihood is it wouldn’t get off the ground, and if this was the case you’d most likely be on here telling dji to auto go to normal (P) mode because you feel a tit trying to take off in Cine Mode or the drone nearly took the nose off you because you took off in sports mode. We shouldn’t absolve ourselves of our responsibility. For you you only noticed this because you were doing a specific test, yet you seem to know it was already a problem for a long time. “I might be wrong in saying that” but either way it seems you were oblivious to this at test.

Result is you brought it to everyone’s attention and thats great but this has been the norm for dji drones as long as Ive been flying them. Now I cant say for certain its the same for Air2 Air2S but with all my other drones I’m very much aware of this, as I said with older Go4 drones you got a message saying you cannot take off.

The Bad is people may not be aware of this, and app doesn’t revert
The Good is the drone reverts to normal mode ATO and avoids accidents or failure to take off.
So lets hope dji can change app to Normal ATO.
But remember when you look down at your RC and see switch in Sport and app in normal there is also scope for confusion. So knowing how craft works and making sure you’re in normal mode for take off will eliminate any confusion.
2021-5-9
Use props
Ontario Drone
Second Officer
Canada

I have had my Mini 2 for a short time now and am a first time flyer.  We have had only a few days for decent flying weather since it arrived from China.  I have left my controller permanently on Cine mode to keep things slow while learning to fly.  Sound like I should keep in on Normal mode, launch, then switch to Cine mode.  When done set it to Normal mode again.  I think doing this I will have sports mode (for real) in reserve if I need its power and speed.

I also took your advice about the batteries.  My son printed me up a spacer for storing the batteries in the charging bank.

As someone said here it is amazing that DJI hasn't found and fixed these two things on their own as they are major flaws.  After all, this app has been around for a while.

Please keep up your excellent videos Ian in London.  It should be DJI taking care of us and not us depending on you and others here.

Stay safe.

Cheers
2021-5-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not a new thing. It has always been this way for my Mavic Mini 2 and Air 2 drones and there have been multiple topics discussing it. They ALWAYS start off in Normal/Position mode regardless of the "switch" setting and because I know this, I always make sure the switch is in that position. The bug, as far as I am concerned, is that the app does not warn you that the "switch" setting does not match with the drone initially.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216473

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220205

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=234048

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=236051

2021-5-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ian in London. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-5-9
Use props
Ian in London
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 5-9 09:10
I totally bow to your greater knowlege Ian. It was I, who, in the other thread perceived it as being not a probem as I always check all switch positions and settings before take off. I understood the matter of the mini 2 always being in 'normal' mode on takeoff and made sure my switch was in that central position and changing flight modes only after taking off. I also agree that information on the screen should accurately reflect which flight mode you are currently in and I can see where this can lead to problems for some. It definitely was not my intention to offend or upset anyone by indicating that I had seen this matter raised before and only wished to point out that it had been covered before.

Absolutely no issue here; different people fly differently.  My concern is for those who want to take off in Cine-Mode because of nearby obstacles, and those who are in open countryside and wanting to take off in Sports Mode immediately and never get that proper power.
2021-5-10
Use props
Ian in London
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 5-9 13:43
This is not a new thing. It has always been this way for my Mavic Mini 2 and Air 2 drones and there have been multiple topics discussing it. They ALWAYS start off in Normal/Position mode regardless of the "switch" setting and because I know this, I always make sure the switch is in that position. The bug, as far as I am concerned, is that the app does not warn you that the "switch" setting does not match with the drone initially.

Indeed.  As people are stating, it's not necessarily an issue to be forced into Normal mode for take off, but of course it's very misleading to have a different mode indicated for the entire flight unless you happen to change to Normal and then back again....
Ian
2021-5-10
Use props
Ian in London
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-9 09:54
On other craft phantoms and other Mavics, you would first get a warning that you cannot take off in sport mode. Manual will also tell you only can take off in P mode.

While this should be made a bit more friendly, you must also remember as the pilot and for safety sake that you must take off in normal mode. For instance in Cine mode if you tried to take off the likelihood is it wouldn’t get off the ground, and if this was the case you’d most likely be on here telling dji to auto go to normal (P) mode because you feel a tit trying to take off in Cine Mode or the drone nearly took the nose off you because you took off in sports mode. We shouldn’t absolve ourselves of our responsibility. For you you only noticed this because you were doing a specific test, yet you seem to know it was already a problem for a long time. “I might be wrong in saying that” but either way it seems you were oblivious to this at test.

All very valid points.  I don't fully agree on the Cini mode point; there are many who have commented on their issue trying to take off in Cine mode and finding the drone far faster than expected.  It should be able to take off easily in cine-mode.  But either way, the screen could easily display a message like 'Normal Mode enforced for Take off'.   There is plenty to remember and know regarding flying drones and many people will be occasional users who simply won't know or remember about this particular disparity.
Flying from where I fly, I rarely bother taking off in Normal mode as I usually want to get out across the fields fast. And the issue is made more complex if you land and take off again, as if you leave the Fly app open, it will allow you to take off in Sports mode.  So basically, some consistcancy and intelligent screen messages are all that's needed here I think.

Cheers
Ian
2021-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curious I wonder how long this bug has existed,   I never take off in sports mode,  with the mini 2 Im leaning to nudge the offs more and more these days.
2021-5-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting.
Hope they fix it!
2021-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ian in London Posted at 5-10 00:53
All very valid points.  I don't fully agree on the Cini mode point; there are many who have commented on their issue trying to take off in Cine mode and finding the drone far faster than expected.  It should be able to take off easily in cine-mode.  But either way, the screen could easily display a message like 'Normal Mode enforced for Take off'.   There is plenty to remember and know regarding flying drones and many people will be occasional users who simply won't know or remember about this particular disparity.
Flying from where I fly, I rarely bother taking off in Normal mode as I usually want to get out across the fields fast. And the issue is made more complex if you land and take off again, as if you leave the Fly app open, it will allow you to take off in Sports mode.  So basically, some consistcancy and intellignet screen messages are all that's needed here I think.

Yes I agree the more easier they can make it for users the better , and if some are being fooled its an obvious problem and your channel is right to air this to help those who may inadvertently get caught out particularly beginners.
How to solve the problem , because if you change the app you cannot change the hardware, so sorting out half a problem is not sorting out anything.
You know in older drones they just wouldn’t take off unless you put switch in normal mode, so this is the foolproof failsafe answer, because once you change the switch the app will automatically change.
But my guess is people will still complain.
I’m not sure there is enough power in cine mode to take off 100% all the time, particularly on a windy day , I also think taking off from tables small platforms could cause difficulties, I’m not saying it cant be done, but I’m thinking short push forward on throttle stick in cine mode may not do the trick. Also will auto slide to take off work in cine mode ?
For me the only safe option is to disallow take off unless you are in normal mode is the way forward even if we are going backward ;+)

I do appreciate you bringing this to everyone’s attention and I watch all your videos and they go out of the way to help all especially beginners, which a lot of channels don’t bother with.
2021-5-10
Use props
DJIAndrei
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906555 ft
Romania

I have Dji fly app 1.3.0 on my huawei tablet. I have made the downgrade because of the ae lock inexistent visual sign on version 1.4.0.

I have made several flights starting in cine mode and never encountered this problem of auto switching off modes. I have uploaded all of my flights on airdata and everything looks ok.

Maybe it's a problem only on ios?

2021-5-10
Use props
steamship
Second Officer
Russia

Speaking from a beginner's point of view, I'm glad Ian posted this video as otherwise I would never have stumbled across it. I've watched lots of videos and made the necessary changes in the Cine parameters, but still found that it wasn't behaving as smoothly as I was expecting at times. Looking back, this would have been a flight where I started in Cine mode, switched to Normal mode to move to another location and then switched back to Cine mode, with only the second Cine mode giving the correct response from the controller. Ian's discovery has now highlighted that to me, and now when I fly (if the rain ever stops here), at least I'll know to flick the switch into Normal mode first.

As to the solution of the display inconsistency, they just need some code at the start to check the position of the physical switch. Regarding the initial takeoff, they could code it so that it always takes off in Normal mode (irrespective of switch position) and then switch to the appropriate mode as designated by the physical switch.
2021-5-10
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

steamship Posted at 5-10 06:29
Speaking from a beginner's point of view, I'm glad Ian posted this video as otherwise I would never have stumbled across it. I've watched lots of videos and made the necessary changes in the Cine parameters, but still found that it wasn't behaving as smoothly as I was expecting at times. Looking back, this would have been a flight where I started in Cine mode, switched to Normal mode to move to another location and then switched back to Cine mode, with only the second Cine mode giving the correct response from the controller. Ian's discovery has now highlighted that to me, and now when I fly (if the rain ever stops here), at least I'll know to flick the switch into Normal mode first.

As to the solution of the display inconsistency, they just need some code at the start to check the position of the physical switch. Regarding the initial takeoff, they could code it so that it always takes off in Normal mode (irrespective of switch position) and then switch to the appropriate mode as designated by the physical switch.

"As to the solution of the display inconsistency, they just need some code at the start to check the position of the physical switch. Regarding the initial takeoff, they could code it so that it always takes off in Normal mode (irrespective of switch position) and then switch to the appropriate mode as designated by the physical switch."

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, to have the mode change by itself without simultaneous input from the operator.
But I don't know of a perfect solution to the problem. See post #19 for a list of previous topics about this issue, which is common to the controller for the Mini 2 and MA2....and probably the A2s also.

2021-5-10
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 03:16
Curious I wonder how long this bug has existed,   I never take off in sports mode,  with the mini 2 Im leaning to nudge the offs more and more these days.

It has existed since at least a year ago (5/2020) for this controller. See the first link in post #19.
2021-5-10
Use props
yogi053
Captain
Flight distance : 7953858 ft
United Kingdom

DJIAndrei Posted at 5-10 04:15
I have Dji fly app 1.3.0 on my huawei tablet. I have made the downgrade because of the ae lock inexistent visual sign on version 1.4.0.

I have made several flights starting in cine mode and never encountered this problem of auto switching off modes. I have uploaded all of my flights on airdata and everything looks ok.

I only fly with Android devices and the switch mode matter is there.
2021-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 03:16

This is not a Bug, Its actually caused by operator and a basic check on his hardware before take off, simply put it in normal mode because you cannot take off in any other mode and thats the same on every dji drone.
We have never been able to launch in sport or tripod or cine mode only normal mode.

I find it strange that those using dji drones for many years were oblivious to this. I certainly feel I’d know if I took off in sport mode as opposed to cine mode, I also nearly lays land in normal mode and if I want to switch to sport or cine I do it simply by looking at the RC not the app.
2021-5-11
Use props
Stu.Baby
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

I'm new starter and have only flown a few times. I have my switch firmly set to Cine Mode believing that is the safest mode for a newbie to start with. So, it turns out that I have been merrily flying around in Normal Mode. This isn't operator error.

The user manual doesn't state that the drone will default to Normal Mode for launching no matter what setting the switch is on and what the app is displaying. This isn't operator error.

I've got no reason to expect a drone NOT to launch in Cine Mode since there's nothing telling me that it can't.

And the original point of Ian From London was that a smaller drone like the Mini 2 in Normal Mode may struggle in strong winds when a user believes they are in Sports Mode.

None of this is the operator's fault. It is poor implementation by DJI.

The most logical way of dealing with it would be to only allow launch when the switch is set to Normal.
2021-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-11 04:50
This is not a Bug, Its actually caused by operator and a basic check on his hardware before take off, simply put it in normal mode because you cannot take off in any other mode and thats the same on every dji drone.
We have never been able to launch in sport or tripod or cine mode only normal mode.

Im the same,   I always switch to normal for take off and landings,  once tried to land in sport and the controls were so sensitive to get a precise location since then always in normal mode.
2021-5-11
Use props
steamship
Second Officer
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 5-11 04:50
This is not a Bug, Its actually caused by operator and a basic check on his hardware before take off, simply put it in normal mode because you cannot take off in any other mode and thats the same on every dji drone.
We have never been able to launch in sport or tripod or cine mode only normal mode.

This is not a Bug, Its actually caused by operator

1. Switch in Cine/Sports mode with screen displaying the same, but it takes off in Normal mode AND stays in Normal mode until the physical switch is moved.
2. Nowhere in the manual does it state that irrespective of the switch position and what is displayed on the screen, the drone will take off in Normal mode.
3. Inconsistencies such as mentioned by the OP (Ian) that the drone WILL take off in Sports mode.

Three points just from this thread and you're blaming the user. Point number 3 also proves that there is a Bug. This is all well and good, but not everyone has been using drones for years and/or owns multiple drones and has that background knowledge/experience.

I suppose the issue with the batteries in the mini 2 not discharging in the drone or charging hub is also not a Bug, since DJI never mentioned anything in the manual about that either.
2021-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

steamship Posted at 5-12 05:17
This is not a Bug, Its actually caused by operator

1. Switch in Cine/Sports mode with screen displaying the same, but it takes off in Normal mode AND stays in Normal mode until the physical switch is moved.

First of all I blame no one, this is about discussion nothing else. If your screen said Normal but your hardware said Cine mode would you think that was a problem or would you believe its ok for the hardware to be wrong ?
It clearly says in your manual and safety manual that you are the person in charge and if you cannot tell the difference between sport mode and cine mode you’re abdicating your responsibility.

I clearly pointed out what I believe needs to be done and its not change the way the app displays but to simply not allow take off until you put the RC in the correct position for take off, unlike what you think,  just change the app because you assume that all users only use the app as a guide to flying their drone, something that can be detrimental to how they fly.

When I’m taking video or photographs I check my setting to make sure they’re correct, but it doesn’t say anywhere in the manual to do this, but I’m able to take responsibility for this.

It doesn’t tell you that when you hit Rth in cine mode that you are no longer in cine mode or sport mode, but low and behold users manage to figure this out.

I came to this thread because a number of things being said were incorrect and a number of resolutions to the problem “like change the app” were only going to solve half the problem and accrue another problem.
My goal here is not to come praising others “I leave that for their photography” but to try help , unlike some who just like to challenge but offer no solution.

I’m unsure why you threw in the last line about the battery , it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but there are other threads for that line.
2021-5-12
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am not sure how anyone can say that this is not a Bug... The fact that the screen shows the wrong mode cannot be normal behavour..

Suggesting that its the users fault, is bonkers.. We are human.. We make mistakes. There is no rational for this behavour.. If they want you to take off in Normal mode, then make its so that you can't lift on in Cini or Sport mode and have to put the switch to Normal.

I can't fathom how people can say this is expected and understandable behaour..

Imagine your car and starting the engine with the indicators on by accident? Now imagine that if you indicate left or right and the dashboard blinks, and you get the clicking sound.. But the lights outside do not flash? And you have a crash? Would you say this was the operators fault because you started the engine with the indicators on? I am sure not.

For me, this needs to be fixed in one of the following ways

1. Work as you would expected.. Take off in any mode you want and then change modes as you want
2. Only allow you to take off in Normal model. If you try in Cini/Sport, give a warning or don't start the motors
3. Keepe the current behavour, but show the flight mode as NORMAL and do not change it when you move the switch.
2021-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jweaver Posted at 5-12 06:28
I am not sure how anyone can say that this is not a Bug... The fact that the screen shows the wrong mode cannot be normal behavour..

Suggesting that its the users fault, is bonkers.. We are human.. We make mistakes. There is no rational for this behavour.. If they want you to take off in Normal mode, then make its so that you can't lift on in Cini or Sport mode and have to put the switch to Normal.

1/ I don’t believe anyone said it was understandable behavior.
2/ as I look through this thread, I’m the only one who said just changing the app was half assed
3/ taking off in sport mode can be downright dangerous “so maybe not a wise idea”
4/ do you know in wind or difficult conditions your drone has the power to take off in cine mode?
5/ No one suggested users fault, but it is users responsibility to know how his/her craft works.

It seems rather than offering sensible suggestions whining takes over. In older dji drones going back to mavic 1, you would have to switch into normal or P mode at take off, this was soon followed by much whining because users were losing time at take off, I’m not sure if this is why dji changed to allowing users to use their own Savvy or common sense to arrive at the stage we are here. But one thing I’ve learned around here is common sense is not very common , so maybe dji just block taking off until user is correct mode. But one thing I know for sure is that there will be plenty whining about this too.
2021-5-12
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-12 07:44
1/ I don’t believe anyone said it was understandable behavior.
2/ as I look through this thread, I’m the only one who said just changing the app was half assed
3/ taking off in sport mode can be downright dangerous “so maybe not a wise idea”

You are right... Perhaps people didn't say it was a bug.. But the fingers was pointed at the operator. Which I disagree with...

If someone accidentially takes off in the wrong mode, its just a mistake.. The software shouldn't confuse you futher by showing the wrong mode.

How hard would it be for the software to point out the mistake and show you what it was doing to correct it (i.e a message saying that the mode was wrong)...

I think that simply stopping you taking off unless the switch is in "Normal" mode is a good way to correct this behavour and improve how it works.
2021-5-12
Use props
steamship
Second Officer
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 5-12 05:47
First of all I blame no one, this is about discussion nothing else. If your screen said Normal but your hardware said Cine mode would you think that was a problem or would you believe its ok for the hardware to be wrong ?
It clearly says in your manual and safety manual that you are the person in charge and if you cannot tell the difference between sport mode and cine mode you’re abdicating your responsibility.

In post #33 you specifically stated "It's actually caused by operator". You are therefore blaming the operator.

As to common sense, common sense dictated that I read the manual and figure out what the manufacturers have to say about their product, how it operates and how I should operate it. The fact that the drone takes off in Normal mode irrespective of the physical switch isn't mentioned in the manual, and will continue to fly in Normal mode until the switch is moved to another position. That is a bug. Why should it therefore be the operators fault?

I don't assume anything about how other people fly their drones. My only assumption was that if the switch is in Cine mode, it will fly in Cine mode. Likewise for Normal and Sports mode. You on the other hand assume that DJI should go back to how they used to operate (and something you are familiar with), and you also ignore the fact (which I mentioned previously) that not everyone on here has previous experience of flying drones, so their experience is garnered from reading about what the drone can do and then practising.

As to the battery comment, I was giving another example of a Bug, which based on your analysis of the switch issue would NOT be a bug. Others use car examples.
2021-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

steamship Posted at 5-13 04:22
In post #33 you specifically stated "It's actually caused by operator". You are therefore blaming the operator.

As to common sense, common sense dictated that I read the manual and figure out what the manufacturers have to say about their product, how it operates and how I should operate it. The fact that the drone takes off in Normal mode irrespective of the physical switch isn't mentioned in the manual, and will continue to fly in Normal mode until the switch is moved to another position. That is a bug. Why should it therefore be the operators fault?

Its not a bug, its the way it should be IE not safe to take off in sport mode and not always possible to take off in Cine Mode. That’s how it should be, if its not mentioned in the manual thats a problem with the manual.
Yes the only way is to revert to not allowing take off unless you are in the right mode and safely doing so. You offer nothing except “Its a Bug” its not. The fact that you at this stage don’t know the physical difference in your craft in cine mode as opposed to sport is your problem. Dji are not going to allow take off in sport mode or cine mode so time to get know how your drone flys, put it into P mode (Normal) ATO and you cannot go wrong, changing the app will make absolutely no difference except a half assed fix.

Grow up and assume some responsibility they’re many things about flying drones that heavily depend on simple savvy and whining wont get the job done.

Still waiting for your suggestions ….
2021-5-13
Use props
jweaver
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-13 11:11
Its not a bug, its the way it should be IE not safe to take off in sport mode and not always possible to take off in Cine Mode. That’s how it should be, if its not mentioned in the manual thats a problem with the manual.
Yes the only way is to revert to not allowing take off unless you are in the right mode and safely doing so. You offer nothing except “Its a Bug” its not. The fact that you at this stage don’t know the physical difference in your craft in cine mode as opposed to sport is your problem. Dji are not going to allow take off in sport mode or cine mode so time to get know how your drone flys, put it into P mode (Normal) ATO and you cannot go wrong, changing the app will make absolutely no difference except a half assed fix.

Eveerything you say is fine.. Execpt for the fact that the UI shows the Cini/Sport mode when its not true.. That what people are concerned about..

Thats got to be a bug surely? How can the UI show something which isn't true?? No other industry would accept that..

If the overal behavour is intended (And I am fine with that), just make it so that the UI shows the same mode as what you are actually in..  So if you take off in Sport, have it fly as normal and show Normal on the UI.

I can't see how you think this behavour is not a bug...

2021-5-13
Use props
Stu.Baby
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-13 11:11
Yes the only way is to revert to not allowing take off unless you are in the right mode and safely doing so. You offer nothing except “Its a Bug” its not. The fact that you at this stage don’t know the physical difference in your craft in cine mode as opposed to sport is your problem. Dji are not going to allow take off in sport mode or cine mode so time to get know how your drone flys, put it into P mode (Normal) ATO and you cannot go wrong, changing the app will make absolutely no difference except a half assed fix.

The "bug" is in how the flying mode is conveyed to the user, not with the flying mode that the drone is in.

I had been flying in what I thought was Cine mode. I just accepted how it flew. I don't have a benchmark nor a rack of DJI drones to make comparisons with. I will be guided by what the manual, RC and app tell me which, at the moment, is absent or incorrect.

Ian In London's clip demonstrates the problem and potential hazard - he thought he was in Sports mode but the Mini 2 struggled in the wind. If only the app showed what mode he was actually in or if the RC enforced a "switch to Normal" take-off....
2021-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Stu.Baby Posted at 5-13 14:52
The "bug" is in how the flying mode is conveyed to the user, not with the flying mode that the drone is in.

I had been flying in what I thought was Cine mode. I just accepted how it flew. I don't have a benchmark nor a rack of DJI drones to make comparisons with. I will be guided by what the manual, RC and app tell me which, at the moment, is absent or incorrect.

I keep hearing potential hazard , but this is the way dji drones have worked for the last few years,

Ok Ill ask you the question, is it important to check hardware before flying, if so then you won’t make any mistake, the app is showing what the hardware “Switch “ mode its in .
But the OP insisted that the change needed to come in the app, so lets see how that works.
The app says Normal mode but the switch says sport mode, why is this not a hazard, surely the problem is that the app and hardware need to match, but dji cannot be with you while flying to tell you to switch to normal mode, yet the OP didn’t even see this as a problem. And it was mainly because of this was why I pointed out that pilot must take some responsibility.
Reading between the lines here most think if the app auto changed then it would be ok no problem, until of course you look down at your RC and think your in sport mode but craft is flying in normal mode.
The OP’s biggest concern was he couldn’t rapidly take off in sport mode, but he should know by now thats impossible on all dji drones Maybe exception FPV.

You say you’ll be guided by what the app and remote tell you, so if app says normal and remote says sport, which one do you use ? And this is the crux it seems your happy that the op pointed out the problem with the app, but because I point out the problem with the RC + App people are defending the OP, for what I have no idea, because I simply pointed out that the op should know and he only knew half the problem…
As I said earlier Common Sense around here is not very common…
2021-5-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules