The Maldives - Short Film
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ploy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all,
Recently returned from a 7 night stay in the Maldives and was hoping to share what video i captured. Additionally, prior to travelling i purchased an underwater camera to capture some video beneath the surface.

I hope you enjoy and please feel free to leave some constructive feedback (i am already aware of some titled horizons and have performed an IMU calibration since)

Thanks to those who helped me on the forum prior to leaving the UK with getting it onto the plane etc. For your own information if your considering travelling, as my hard case was too big for hand luggage (I flew with Qatar Airways) i ended up taking the P3A in it's original box seperatly wrapping the batteries in clear plastic bags placing electrical tape over the terminals. I had no issues other than initially at Heathrow(UK) where at security the lady said i couldn't travel with it however after checking with her supervisor it was fine. On my return the chap at the check-in desk asked what it was, i replied and that was as far as that problem went.

Naturally i was nervous sending it out over the water but once i'd done some flights over the beach i felt more comfortable and let loose but never really tested it too much distance wise as there were, on occasion, strong winds.

- Jon  
2015-7-19
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Fantastic location.  Beautiful!  You have some really nice shots in there...   But I offer these comments as constructive criticism.

The gimbal was not level at :33.

In general the color grading needs work.  Dark, murky night look.

The video is typically very dark out of the phantom on the "normal" color setting.  For example...  Why re the trees almost black in broad daylight at 1:12?  Shooting with the color set to "LOG" mode will give you a brighter more natural looking exposure.  You can always add some contrast & saturation in your editing software.  Learn to use the brightness, contrast and color correction tools in your editing software.

Keep a forward flow going.  Avoid the long panning shots.  Like at 4:00 (Boring.)  Never shoot with the drone stopped.  Keep flying forward from shot to shot.

Again.... At 4:56  Why are the trees black instead of green?  (Use LOG mode)

At 5:07...  Nice shot!   At 7:16- 8:15  Finally Green trees!
2015-7-19
Use props
Ploy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-19 23:13
Fantastic location.  Beautiful!  You have some really nice shots in there...   But I offer these com ...

Hi Fulgerite,

Thanks for the comments.

As mentioned i knew the camera was not set as i hoped at 0.30 but have since sorted that. Just disappointing that i didn't identify this whilst i was there.

Admittedly i didn't play with exposure settings and generally don't which is why video's i have taken don't necessarily show colours in a more vibrant way however with your comments taken on board and a few other places that i plan to visit over the coming months i'll be sure to have a little play and make the adjustments you've recommended.

At 4.00 although in your opinion this isn't an interesting addition i placed it into the video as it gives the viewer a high pan of the surrounding islands (in the distance) and where the reefs start and end.

Thanks again - Jon
2015-7-19
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I look forward to seeing more!  Keep up the good work!
2015-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules