DJI Piot App Crashes / Phantom 3 Advanced
2715 20 2015-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

I have flown my P3A many times times and on all of my flights the DJI Pilot App has crashed. I get the following message:  "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped". My device is the Samsung Galaxy S5, and this is actually a recommended device by DJI. Initially I thought it was my phone, maybe not enough space or something on my phone. So I took my phone to the Samsung store and the Samsung representative said "no way is space an issue" after seeing that I had hardly used any of the available memory on my phone. I have tried the following things with absolutely zero luck: Wi-Fi off, Airplane mode on, mobile data off, background apps closed, download manager process stopped/disabled temporarily, power cycling the phone, turning the pilot app on/off, upgrading firmware, and uninstalling/reinstalling the DJI Pilot App. None of this has worked, and I have read on many forums that this is an ongoing issue. DJI are you able to help me with this???  Pilots, is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Any fixes?  And please don't recommend that I switch to another device because this is a device that was recommended by DJI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

William James

2015-7-19
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

It's exactly what it says...  The google maps API can't talk to the google servers and gives up.

If you pre-cache the maps it may help, or leave your data connection on on the phone if you're flying only a short distance from yourself, although many folks say to put the phone/tablet into Airplane model to reduce the near-field interference potential from the wifi etc in the phone/tablet.

I've had that problem a few times, but generally when I've not cached the maps for a location and I turn the tablet I use (Samsung tab 4 8")  onto airplane mode after I start the Pilot app...  If the tablet is already in Airplane mode with the app is launched it doesn't seem to happen..

Cheers, Chris H.
2015-7-19
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

Known issue - this should almost be a sticky. The later Google Play Services version and DJI Pilot app don't play well together. Downgrading Google Play Services will help.

Hopefully the DJI app or firmware will be fixed soon.

97.3% sure that will see you right

1. &aposlay Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... p;page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this possible workaround.
2015-7-20
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Avoiding Android will greatly improve user experience !!!
2015-7-20
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2015-7-20 20:14

Best piece of advice so far
2015-7-20
Use props
astanatv
lvl.2

Kazakhstan

Yeah, dump your android and get an iOS device. You will be amazed
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-7-20 15:54
It's exactly what it says...  The google maps API can't talk to the google servers and gives up.

If ...

Thanks Chris, but I do have the app in airplane mode before it's launched and it still does it.
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-20 18:40
Known issue - this should almost be a sticky. The later Google Play Services version and DJI Pilot a ...

Cheers Scotty. I will follow the instructions you've provided and hopefully it will improve.
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Ulysse Posted at 2015-7-20 20:14

You may be right, though I've heard a number of apple users complain about the same problem. If it were as simple as switching over to apple and I knew it would for sure work, I would do it because at this point I've already made the purchase of the phantom.   Honestly, I feel misled by DJI... their pilot app won't work as advertised on the S5. Moreover, their firmware upgrades have caused a number of issues as well. This can't possibly be good for the user experience.
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

astanatv Posted at 2015-7-20 20:39

If I may ask, has you iOS device ever done this? If not, which device are you using?
2015-7-20
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-21 03:44
You may be right, though I've heard a number of apple users complain about the same problem. If it ...

On several forum I follow, english or french ones, it seems most of the problems occur with the Android platform. Of course this doesn't prevent iOS users from having problems (may be these users have jailbroken devices ?) but if you follow some simple rules before each flight everything should be fine.
If fly my P3P with an "old" iPad Air 1 Wifi+Cellular and I have absolutely no problem at all : never had lags, disconnections and almost non measurable latency... like most iOS users.
2015-7-20
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

astanatv Posted at 2015-7-20 20:39

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -for-dji-app.48513/
I think, I will stay for a while with Android device....
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-7-21 05:04
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/ipad-mini-3-not-fast-enough-for-dji-app.48513/
I think, I wil ...

That's the thing... the problem is consistent both on Android and Apple. It leads me to believe that it's the DJI Pilot App.
2015-7-20
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Is there any reason why DJI is not chiming in in on this thread? I mean wouldn't it make sense to try to help paying customers???
2015-7-25
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Okay, I'm seriously thinking about going with an Apple tablet. Will the iPad mini 2 with Wi-Fi and no celluar suffice?
2015-7-25
Use props
lawrence_jagger
New
Trinidad and Tobago

I wanna thank you guys for this, i recently bought my phantom 3 and an iPad 2 couldn't get the app to load i then went out and bought a Samsung galaxy s5 that too was telling me dji go has closed i made some attempts to contact dji, they did respond but the frustration with this purchase was unbearable, anyway i finally got it to work by going back to the old version of Google as Scotty said it works, part of my stress down, i am quite disappointed in dji, i don't believe the software was ready for the retail market, seems very rushed and i can imagine the frustration to other buyers who don't have the tech minded to fix this, so unfair for such a expensive product, my iPad 2 still don't work, my problem is i don't trust the software to feel comfortable to fly even 100 feet, very sad indeed, but thanks for android bit from you guys
2015-8-14
Use props
edgephilip
lvl.1
United States

i use a galaxy tab PRO (SM-T320) and downgraded the play services to the original and have no issues...
2015-9-8
Use props
edgephilip
lvl.1
United States

edgephilip@hotm Posted at 2015-9-8 11:50
i use a galaxy tab PRO (SM-T320) and downgraded the play services to the original and have no issues ...

Android users.... go back to factory google play services.... tested with the latest and greatest and it sucks! Rolled back and works perfect again...
2015-9-15
Use props
radrich
lvl.1

United States

I just disable Google Play services on my Nvidia Shield K1. Thankfully I'm able to do that as my other Android devices aren't able to disable it.
Map caching will not display the maps while G.P.S. is disabled, though. Not a deal breaker, but it's a lot better than getting a disconnect message on screen.
I'm flying a P3S btw.
2015-12-2
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

Make sure, you have DISABLED USB debugging. After 1.3.20 FW, there is no need to use USB debugging.
DJI GO and Litchi are much more stable, if you disable USB debugging.
2015-12-3
Use props
scottdrmyers
lvl.2

Canada

I have no issues on Cyanogenmod Nightlies with latest Gapps/play Services on my Samsung Tab s 8.4,  along with OEM Rom on my BlackBerry Priv. The problem is not Google Play Services itself, rather something else causing it to crash. It's probably not the DJI GO app either.

Try setting your phone back to factory defaults, do all your updates and try it again. If the issue persists, root the thing and put Cyanogenmod or a different custom rom on it that gets rid of all the Samsung garbage.

Or go grab a pure android tablet.
2015-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules