Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini Waypoints with Litchi
12Next >
11034 64 2021-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
Captain
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Mavic Mini Waypoints demo with Litchi App (iOS beta 2.10) that also works for DJI Mavic Air 2.

2021-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing. ,    Now all we need them to release the SDK for Air2S and Mini2.
2021-5-29
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Captain
  • >>>
Denmark

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 00:25
Thanks for sharing. ,    Now all we need them to release the SDK for Air2S and Mini2.

yes, it would be soo cool if we could get it for mini 2 - this will increase the features and even add tracking to some extent
2021-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative video Henrik.  
2021-5-29
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 704741 ft
Cyprus

Hi, I am a complete newbie to drone flying etc. and just got my first drone, the DJI Mini 1. So far I was playing around with it to get a feeling for what it can do and how all of it works and then I stumbled across the LITCHI-app and that it can execute waypoints on that drone. As I understand the drone needs constant connection with the RC during a mission because basically the app is acting as the 'pilot' and gives constant steering impulses to the drone.
What I have not yet figured out clearly is what will happen when that connection is lost! I found on some websites the remark that the drone then would simply hover in place at the spot where the connection was lost – which would (if true) not be ideal if that is over water or inaccessible surroundings! When the battery is eventually depleted it would simply perform an emergency landing with all unpleasant consequences – like a 'deadly' swim...
My question: is it true that on loss of connection the Mini stops where it is and hovers? Why does it not perform a RTH like with a 'normal' loss of signal using the DJI-Fly app? Is it possible to program  a RTH on signal loss during Litchi waypoint missions?
Sorry for my english, it is not my first language!

Cyprus coastline near Paphos

Cyprus coastline near Paphos
2021-5-30
Use props
Mashroomhut
Captain
Flight distance : 2760394 ft
Poland

Hi, Cliff_Allister!
First, I will share my EXP with Litchi.
It is great to have waypoint missions with Mini! Yesterday I tried it out - program short Mission, flew it twice. Everything worked fine. Afternoon I tried something extra - I wanted to program one Route and fly it on different sessons of year. First it worked fine, but I wanted to add point of interest (POI). I added the POI and execute once more the programm. Unluckely the Route was under power lines. On the first run it went under it. On the way to the first point it used different high and hit the Power lines. I was able to retrive my drone and (this time) luckely no major damage. I was flying over raps field. Lesson lerned! It was my fault - no doubt! Flying under power lines Was reckless! Similar as Flying over water the waypoint Mission. "Expect the unexpected" is very wisely said!
As far as I know, if the signal is lost during waypoint mission, the drone will execute the chosen emergency behavior: Land, hover or RTH.
FB_IMG_16223781799610934.jpg
2021-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Henrik Olsen. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have created. Just a reminder to please use the recommended DJI application ( DJI Fly application ) when flying your DJI Mini 2 and your DJI Mavic Air 2 to ensure stability and compatibility during flight. In addition 3rd party applications like Litchi can void the warranty of your DJI drones as well. Thank you and safe flying always.
2021-5-30
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

When lost connection, the mission continued, be sure to set the last waypoint on your homepoint to regain connection. This means you can fly much further then the RC range. Watch out, when loose connection you cannot initiate RTH or Pause or increase speed. Be sure to set cruising speed higher then the wind!!!

ONLY
Finish Action: Choose an action that the aircraft will perform at the end of the mission. Available choices are "None", "Go Home" ("RTH" on iOS), "Land", "Back to First Waypoint" ("Back to 1st" on iOS) and "Reverse". When using "Reverse", the only way for the mission to end is if you manually stop it, "Reverse" allows you to let the aircraft fly to the last waypoint and then replay the mission in reverse using the joysticks or the cruising speed slider.

Speed: The speed at which the aircraft will travel from this waypoint to the next. By default the aircraft will use the mission's cruising speed setting, but the cruising speed can be overriden for each waypoint using this setting.
Warning
This setting is only in effect when the aircraft is in range of the remote controller. If signal is lost during the mission, the aircraft will continue the mission at the speed it was travelling at when it lost signal.

2021-5-30
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 00:25

Agree with that !!!
2021-5-30
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

Perhaps Henrik can make a little demo video about flying a square in a waypoint mission, with switching his RC off.
I don't have the mini
2021-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice. Hope they will add support for M2 too at DJI!
2021-5-31
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

dji_MODDER Posted at 5-30 22:25
When lost connection, the mission continued, be sure to set the last waypoint on your homepoint to regain connection. This means you can fly much further then the RC range. Watch out, when loose connection you cannot initiate RTH or Pause or increase speed. Be sure to set cruising speed higher then the wind!!!

ONLY

Thank you for the reply but that is unfortunately not correct for the Mini. The little drone can not continue to perform the mission without input from the RC. So my question again: Does it just stop and hover until the connection is re-established or the depleting battery forces an emergency landing or can/does it react to a loss of connection with an RTH?
That is a crucial information when planning a Litchi-mission for the Mini1! Without the security of a RTH in case of loss of connection during a mission the possibilities to use that feature are much more limited and the risks involved are much bigger.
2021-5-31
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 5-30 22:25

ONLY

I can not confirm that. Yesterday I tried a lot, waypoint mission with POIs, without POIs, straight flight, curved flight, waypoint actions, focus POI, interpolate, different heading modes, etc. Among other things, I switched off the remote controller during a mission between 2 points. In the app, of course, the message "Connection lost" came up. I had the drone in view and after a few seconds it climbed to RTH altitude, changed direction to the home point, flew there, descended and landed. I can't say for sure now whether it has reached the last point or immediately initiated RTH. Let's say you have 10 points and the connection is lost between point 5 and 6, then RTH is either triggered immediately or after point 6. I think the DJI SDK only supports a "virtual stick API" and here the commands have to be transmitted in real time , so sequentially and not the complete mission. THEN it would be the case that if the drone loses connection between point 5 and 6, it would still fly to point 10 and executes the command defined in "Finish Action". So it is not absolutely necessary to set Finish Action to RTH.

Edit: In Main Settings/Finish Action I have chosen 'NONE' in all of my missions. So RTH is triggered due to lost connection, not due to finish action (RTH).

2021-5-31
Use props
LoveYou
Captain
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

Hi, please release the SDK for Air2S.
2021-5-31
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

jonny007 Posted at 5-31 02:35
I can not confirm that. Yesterday I tried a lot, waypoint mission with POIs, without POIs, straight flight, curved flight, waypoint actions, focus POI, interpolate, different heading modes, etc. Among other things, I switched off the remote controller during a mission between 2 points. In the app, of course, the message "Connection lost" came up. I had the drone in view and after a few seconds it climbed to RTH altitude, changed direction to the home point, flew there, descended and landed. I can't say for sure now whether it has reached the last point or immediately initiated RTH. Let's say you have 10 points and the connection is lost between point 5 and 6, then RTH is either triggered immediately or after point 6. I think the DJI SDK only supports a "virtual stick API" and here the commands have to be transmitted in real time , so sequentially and not the complete mission. THEN it would be the case that if the drone loses connection between point 5 and 6, it would still fly to point 10 and executes the command defined in "Finish Action". So it is not absolutely necessary to set Finish Action to RTH.

Edit: In Main Settings/Finish Action I have chosen 'NONE' in all of my missions. So RTH is triggered due to lost connection, not due to finish action (RTH).

Thanks for the feedback, it's working on MP1 and  Spark. I will verify withthe  Litchi makers.What was your range when you switch your RC off?
2021-5-31
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

jonny007 Posted at 5-31 02:35

Hi,
so if I understand you correctly you performed that (aborted) mission with a Mini1 and on loss of connection it came back to the homepoint? And that will be the case whatever 'last action' is programmed as the default reaction to signal loss on Litchi waypoint missions?
That would alleviate my fear of losing the drone during waypoint missions.
Thank you!
2021-5-31
Use props
UweE
Captain
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 5-31 03:56
Hi,
so if I understand you correctly you performed that (aborted) mission with a Mini1 and on loss of connection it came back to the homepoint? And that will be the case whatever 'last action' is programmed as the default reaction to signal loss on Litchi waypoint missions?

I can confirm, that RTH will jump in, when connection is lost.
So it is safe to fly with Litchy.

Waypoint-mode is surprisingly smooth, but you have to make wide curves, otherwise, the
stick-commands are a bit choppy.

One last remark, waypoints are only available for beta-testers, the official app is not yet with waypoints!
2021-5-31
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 5-31 03:06
Thanks for the feedback, it's working on MP1 and  Spark. I will verify withthe  Litchi makers.What was your range when you switch your RC off?

More than 200 meters
2021-5-31
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 5-31 03:56
Hi,
so if I understand you correctly you performed that (aborted) mission with a Mini1 and on loss of connection it came back to the homepoint? And that will be the case whatever 'last action' is programmed as the default reaction to signal loss on Litchi waypoint missions?

Tested again today and let the screen recorder run. RTH is triggered as soon as the signal is lost and not after the next point or after the end of the mission. Finish action was set to NONE again.
2021-5-31
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

Great info, thanks for feedback, I wait for the answer from the Litchi guys if this is normal because I flew with my DJI Mavic Pro and DJI Spark several missions beyond RC range and RTH was not triggerd as soon I lost connection. But this was an old version of the Litchi app, It could be changed in the next releases.
2021-5-31
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Captain
  • >>>
Denmark

jonny007 Posted at 5-31 12:55
Tested again today and let the screen recorder run. RTH is triggered as soon as the signal is lost and not after the next point or after the end of the mission. Finish action was set to NONE again.
https://youtu.be/WxS1JJRbEeM

Brilliant test, this is good to know
2021-5-31
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

Answer from Litchi support:
It will RTH, we use "virtual stick"method to bring waypoint to mini and air2.

2021-6-1
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

Thank you for all the valuable answers!
I performed my first testflight today and everything went smooth!
see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyDVq4n8-Yw
But now I have another question...

Suppose I plan a waypoint mission wherein the drone is following uphill a slope. In the Litchi mission hub I can set the flight altitude for each waypoint at x meters above ground instead of x meters above the homepoint. So I can program to let the drone fly uphill constantly at 50 m above ground. Now lets say the farthest waypoint uphill is 40 meters higher than the homepoint and the signal is lost there. If RTH height is set to 30 m, the drone would interpret that as meaning 30 m above homepoint, wouldn´t it?
But the drone already being 90 m higher than the homepoint (the ground is 40 m higher and the flightpath is 50 m above ground) it would then descend(!) to try and reach the RTH-height of 30 m above the homepoint and crash into the ground...
Or am I making a logical mistake here?

waypoint_mission.jpg
2021-6-1
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

In my opinion it behaves like with any RTH: If the current altitude is ABOVE the RTH altitude, it flies at this altitude to the HP. Only if it is lower than the RTH altitude it will climb.
I'm 99.99% sure, you have to test the missing 0,01% in practice ;-)
2021-6-1
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 6-1 01:45
Answer from Litchi support:
It will RTH, we use "virtual stick"method to bring waypoint to mini and air2.

Yes, this is known and that's why the trajectory is not so soft, but partly choppy. In orbit mode you can also see how it often shakes. You said it was different with the Spark and MP2. But where you use the Go4 app with "real waypoint mode" right? I would say that virtual stick is the waypoint mission for the poor man. ;-)
2021-6-1
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

UweE Posted at 5-31 12:15
I can confirm, that RTH will jump in, when connection is lost.
So it is safe to fly with Litchy.

I also have to test a few variants to see which are the best settings. So far I have the impression that wide curves (maximum radius between 2 waypoints or 100%) and POIs that are not too close to the drone/flight path provide the best result. A course without POIs, so if the drone just flies along the path, is pretty good (better as focus on a poi). Tip: Create a WP Mission with the settings shown in the picture. The drone flies the course, but you have control of the yaw and gimbal. Similar to the "secret RTH trick" already mentioned here.

2021-6-1
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

jonny007 Posted at 6-1 09:10
Yes, this is known and that's why the trajectory is not so soft, but partly choppy. In orbit mode you can also see how it often shakes. You said it was different with the Spark and MP2. But where you use the Go4 app with "real waypoint mode" right? I would say that virtual stick is the waypoint mission for the poor man. ;-)

No, I flew with litchi beyond RC range, I always set last waypoint on my HP. With curved turn it is smooth.

Mavic Pro and Litchi
2021-6-1
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

here with some orbit's, all with litchi

2021-6-1
Use props
UweE
Captain
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 6-1 21:45
No, I flew with litchi beyond RC range, I always set last waypoint on my HP. With curved turn it is smooth.
https://youtu.be/7qGPvP8hhUE

this is a Mavic Pro, which has internal memory for the waypoints!
You cannot compare this with the Mini.
2021-6-1
Use props
dji_MODDER
Captain
Netherlands

I only answer what Johhny ask and give some examples. Mavic Pro has internal memory??
2021-6-1
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

My first waypoint mission!

It was pure coincidence that on the POI I had set during the planning the night before a car parked the next day...

2021-6-2
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 6-1 22:47
I only answer what Johhny ask and give some examples. Mavic Pro has internal memory??

Ah ok, I think the SDK for the older Mavics/Spark has the "real waypoint API", not the virtual stick as for the mini. So the flightpath (with focus on POIs) is very much smoother.
2021-6-2
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 6-2 02:18
My first waypoint mission!

It was pure coincidence that on the POI I had set during the planning the night before up a car parked the next day...

You can see very well how the movement often keeps getting stuck, hanging and being corrected. It is certainly qualitatively better to plan the flight route in such a way that only a course is flown where the POIs are in the field of view, but the drone does not focus on them. As heading mode perhaps "AUTO TNW", Path to curved turns and Gimbal Focus to POI. So the movement itself is directly from point to point (without yaw) , but the gimbal pitch points to POI. I have to test out different combinations.
2021-6-2
Use props
MM Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

very cool thank you!
2021-6-2
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

Today in very moderate wind conditions I dared to send my 'Mini' (CE version) on a waypoint mission with the farthest point being almost 1000m away! Absolutely no problem and the drone fullfilled its mission and came back without a hitch. For me the LITCHI-app is working like a charm and I do not have any connection/signal issues whatsoever. I also very much like the 'speech function' where I am told how high and how far away my drone is. I can fully concentrate on keeping the antenna pointed in the right direction and need not look on my mobile device which is actually hard to see in the sun glare most of the time. All in all the LITCHI-app is one great piece of software!
2021-6-6
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 6-6 10:05
Today in very moderate wind conditions I dared to send my 'Mini' (CE version) on a waypoint mission with the farthest point being almost 1000m away! Absolutely no problem and the drone fullfilled its mission and came back without a hitch. For me the LITCHI-app is working like a charm and I do not have any connection/signal issues whatsoever. I also very much like the 'speech function' where I am told how high and how far away my drone is. I can fully concentrate on keeping the antenna pointed in the right direction and need not look on my mobile device which is actually hard to see in the sun glare most of the time. All in all the LITCHI-app is one great piece of software!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHu27qXEf6o

Looks like everything flown manually (heading mode UC and gimbal disabled) and without POIs, right ?
2021-6-6
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

jonny007 Posted at 6-6 12:05
Looks like everything flown manually (heading mode UC and gimbal disabled) and without POIs, right ?

No,  fully automatic with 9 WPs and two POIs. I just had to point the RC in the correct direction and hope my 'Mini' would come back. ;-)
After sending it 1000m away was working without a hitch the next mission I will try is that one with a max. distance of around 400m at WP 16:
monastery_mission.jpg
2021-6-6
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 6-6 12:39
No,  fully automatic with 9 WPs and two POIs. I just had to point the RC in the correct direction and hope my 'Mini' would come back. ;-)
After sending it 1000m away was working without a hitch the next mission I will try is that one with a max. distance of around 400m at WP 16:

The turn at 2:15 wasn't manually flown ? Could you publish it in the Mission Hub ? I would like to see your settings.
2021-6-7
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.4
Cyprus

jonny007 Posted at 6-7 02:32
The turn at 2:15 wasn't manually flown ? Could you publish it in the Mission Hub ? I would like to see your settings.

Hm...
How does one publish a mission in the hub?  
UPDATE: Think I found it!  I just removed the marker for the 'private' setting.
2021-6-7
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Cliff_Allister Posted at 6-7 04:28
Hm...
How does one publish a mission in the hub?  
UPDATE: Think I found it!  I just removed the marker for the 'private' setting.

Ah ok....

- Login to https://flylitchi.com/hub
- Missions
-  Open
- My mission
- Search for your mission you want to share
- Disable the checkbox "Private"

You can also link directly to your YT video here
2021-6-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced