Cannot get Smart Controller to work with Flight Simulator
19975 9 2021-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaucer
lvl.1

United States

I have connected my Smart Controller to the PC via the USB port and have tried all three options (Charge this device; Transfer files; Transfer photos) to get the Trial Flight Simulator to recognize it.  None of these have worked.  Is there some setting or option that I am missing to make this connection?
2021-6-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi! You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.  That is way more active.    -   https://forum.dji.com/forum-129-1.html
2021-6-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Flight simulator on your computer to see if the issue persists? Also, you may try to update/refresh the firmware of your DJI Smart Controller using the DJI Assistant 2 and connect to see if there would be some changes. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your continued support!
2021-6-3
Use props
Guillermo_ortiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28133 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

did you solve the problem friend?
2021-6-11
Use props
Matite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61096 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Here is how I got DJI Flight Simulator to work with my Smart Controller in Windows 10:
1) Install the DJI Flight Simulator as normal.
2) Use a USB A to USB C cable (the one that came with your Smart Controller works great) to connect the Smart Controller to a USB port on your PC. It does not need to be a high speed (USB v3) port.
3) When it prompts what to do with the new connection on the Smart Controller choose "Charge this device" as follows: DJI-Smart-Controller-Cable-Plugged-In-Screenshot-6_2021.jpg
4) Wait a few minutes for Windows 10 to automatically detect then download the driver.
5) Check the driver installed correctly by holding down the Windows key then press the R key to display the "Run" dialog.
6) In the "Run" dialog type devmgmt.msc to display the Device Manager.
7) Expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section in the Device Manager and look to see the "USB Serial Device" COM port for the Smart Controller is present as follows:
DJI-Smart-Controller-COM-Port-in-Windows-10-Screenshot-6_2021.jpg
* Note that where it says "COM4" for me it may say "COM3" or "COM5" or some other number for you. This is normal.
* Ensure there is no yellow exclamation mark next to the device port line (if there is then the driver is not installed).
8) Start the DJI Flight Simulator (demo/free) software.

If everything is working (ie the driver loaded) then by default the DJI Flight Simulator will find the Smart Controller (SC) and just work without doing anything else. Use the left joystick to control the selection. Use the C4 button on the bottom right of the SC to select a menu item. When flying press the red pause/emergency stop button on the Smart Controller to cycle between views. Hold down the red pause/emergency stop button for a few seconds to switch from drone control to your player control (then you can move your character around in the map).

DJI_Flight_Simulator_Screenshot.jpg

Please note I only tried this on a Windows 10 PC. Also, I plugged in the Smart Controller to a PC that has never had any DJI software installed on it and never had the Smart Controller connected to test it. It found the "rm500" device and installed the driver after a minute or two. In the "Settings" -> "Devices" window it should show the "rm500" device (Smart Controller) as follows.

DJI-Smart-Controller-RM500-Windows-10-Screenshot-6_2021.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have Windows 7 (and maybe Windows 8 or 8.1) it will probably not install the driver automatically. If you look in the Device Manager it will show the following missing driver:
DJI-Smart-Controller-Device-Errort-in-Windows-7-Screenshot-6_2021.jpg
I have been unable to find the correct driver as yet but I did not spend a lot of time on it. Sorry.

2021-6-23
Use props
djiuser_92bWUDGn4BHe
New

Canada

I've tried all steps, still not working for me. In my device section the controller comes up as C5, and said driver not available.

I have a DJI Smart Controller, and a controller from the Mavic Air 2. Both not working on PC.

Any help?
2021-6-23
Use props
Awe3423
New

Philippines

This is happening to me too.
2021-9-21
Use props
Amin86
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Paladin Posted at 2021-6-3 19:55
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Flight simulator on your computer to see if the issue persists? Also, you may try to update/refresh the firmware of your DJI Smart Controller using the DJI Assistant 2 and connect to see if there would be some changes. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your continued support!

I tried all the options, you said, it doesn't work!
I can do anything with my smart controller in the sims. (choosing Drone etc.) but for the beginning of the flight the sticks do not work!
2022-1-28
Use props
Amin86
lvl.1
Austria

I know it sounds bizarre, but anything is possible, after calibrating the sticks the problem is gone, try it!
2022-1-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Amin86 Posted at 1-29 03:30
I know it sounds bizarre, but anything is possible, after calibrating the sticks the problem is gone, try it!

Thank you for your response. We're glad that you have already managed to isolate the issue that you experienced. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-1-29
Use props
Grounded?
New

Greece

I tried using the simulator with the DJI Smart Controller that I bought for my DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, but nothing worked.

I can verify that calibrating the controller sticks solved this problem for me, after unsuccessfully trying for 2 hours various other ways to remedy it.
Many, many thanks to Amin86 for delving into the problem and discovering this all but impossible solution.
Btw. in my view, the simulator (or at least its 1.4.0.0 free version) leaves a lot to be desired in terms of resolution, smooth movement and reliable functionality.
I trust DJI will improve this app soon to reflect the quality of their drones.

2023-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules