Disable Android Fly APP auto update?
4661 16 2021-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Is there anyway I can stop the auto update of the DJI Fly APP on Android?

I use a Huawei M5Lite8 tablet and a Huawei P30. Everything was fine until version 1.4.1 whereby the live feed started to update at 3fps or there abouts. Then 1.4.2 was released and and the same problem was there.

No matter how many times I roll back to 1.4.0 the DJI Fly APP continues to auto update to 1.4.2. I've turned off the auto update functions in the Settings page but still it continues to update. The only way I've been able to stop the update is to switch to local data but obviously this kills the map and flight log sync across devices. Is there a switch in the DJI Fly APP I have overlooked that will forcibly stop the APP update while retaining full network connectivity?
2021-6-4
Use props
djiuser_J01lqpjdGFU1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

Perhaps try turning off auto updates in the Play Store . Everytime I start my Flyapp it asks to update , I just click cancel . I am too scared to at the moment as I am using a Samsung Galaxy A32 (not on DJI list) and its working fine on the 1.4.0 version
2021-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_J01lqpjdGFU1 Posted at 6-6 23:22
Perhaps try turning off auto updates in the Play Store . Everytime I start my Flyapp it asks to update , I just click cancel . I am too scared to at the moment as I am using a Samsung Galaxy A32 (not on DJI list) and its working fine on the 1.4.0 version

I am too scared to at the moment as I am using a Samsung Galaxy A32 (not on DJI list) and its working fine on the 1.4.0 version
If it's working fine now, it should also in the future.
DJI's meagre list doesn't mean much.
It's just showing the few devices that they've tested.
But they don't get around to testing much and some of the best flying phones and tablets have never been on DJI's "approved" list.
2021-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No matter how many times I roll back to 1.4.0 the DJI Fly APP continues to auto update.
It's not a DJI setting you need to change.
As the first reply mentioned, you have an Android setting that allows any app to auto-update.
Switch that off.
2021-6-6
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Deactivating the autoupdate in the Playstore will not help because the app is not available there. I have 1.3.0 installed and the following setting activated in order not to be reminded of an update. Profile> Settings> Infos> Autoupdate off (has nothing to do with firmware update)
2021-6-7
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Apologies for responding late to the thread I created.

With I have discovered that with Huawei devices you can specify which APPs can and cannot download from “Unknown Sources”. This is is in the privacy section of the phones settings. In here are listed all the APPs on the device with the ability to to turn on and off downloads for any specific APP. Now that I’ve blocked the DJIFly APP from initiating a direct download my DJIFly APP is remaining on 1.4.0. However I can still access other non-Google Play Store APK’s without having to set a Global permission.

I’m still trying to figure out WHY V1.4.2 is unusable on the Mediapad5. I have it working now on my P30Lite now by uninstalling the APP and deleting all DJIFly files from the phone prior to reinstalling, thou this does not work with the tablet. The P30Lite and the M5Lite8 share a lot of the same hardware, the biggest difference between the two devices is that Huawei have updated the P30Lite to Android 10 while the M5Lite8 is still running Android 9.

It sort of begs the question concerning the validity of DJI’s compatibility list. Both my devices are on that list, BUT, do they test all APP updates on these compatible devices prior to release, OR, as I believe is the case,  they do no testing prior to releasing an update and any issues that may arise are dealt with on a totally adhoc basis? DJI use to have a pool of testers within the community that would Beta Test all software and hardware revisions prior to releasing to the general public but the stopped this initiative a few years back, instead leaving the chore to the interns they recruited for the projects.
2021-6-7
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_J01lqpjdGFU1 Posted at 6-6 23:22
Perhaps try turning off auto updates in the Play Store . Everytime I start my Flyapp it asks to update , I just click cancel . I am too scared to at the moment as I am using a Samsung Galaxy A32 (not on DJI list) and its working fine on the 1.4.0 version

The DJI Fly App has no connection with the Google Play Store. Google removed it when DJI authored the APP to bypass the Play Store and initiate a direct download from DJI’s own servers, which contravene Google’s Terms Of Service. If Google cannot validate the security of an APP they will not host it.
2021-6-7
Use props
yagedk
New

South Korea

Nidge Posted at 6-7 00:52
Apologies for responding late to the thread I created.

With I have discovered that with Huawei devices you can specify which APPs can and cannot download from “Unknown Sources”. This is is in the privacy section of the phones settings. In here are listed all the APPs on the device with the ability to to turn on and off downloads for any specific APP. Now that I’ve blocked the DJIFly APP from initiating a direct download my DJIFly APP is remaining on 1.4.0. However I can still access other non-Google Play Store APK’s without having to set a Global permission.

Hi, I have a Huawei P40 pro, running android 11 and I can't find the menu in the privacy secion of the phone's settings. Could you specify exactly where you found this option?

Thanks a lot in advance!
2021-7-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yagedk Posted at 7-29 05:20
Hi, I have a Huawei P40 pro, running android 11 and I can't find the menu in the privacy secion of the phone's settings. Could you specify exactly where you found this option?

Thanks a lot in advance!

It should be under Bio/Security, then Install Unknown Apps, its under the last paragraph of settings, then find Fly app and click it and disable
2021-7-29
Use props
yagedk
New

South Korea

Bashy Posted at 7-29 19:06
It should be under Bio/Security, then Install Unknown Apps, its under the last paragraph of settings, then find Fly app and click it and disable

Thanks!

For anyone searching for this in the future, on Android 11 using Huawei, I found it under security -> More settings -> Install apps from external sources -> DJI Fly -> Allow app installs: OFF.

I hope this works. Also, it helps to turn off auto-updating in the Huawei app gallery, as I think that's what happened in my case.
2021-7-29
Use props
djiuser_riAfdeMpoj8m
lvl.1

Finland

yagedk Posted at 2021-7-29 21:29
Thanks!

For anyone searching for this in the future, on Android 11 using Huawei, I found it under security -> More settings -> Install apps from external sources -> DJI Fly -> Allow app installs: OFF.

Its disapled for my Huawei p30 pro, but still fly app wants update version 1.5.1 for automatically. I still want to stay using 1.4.2
2022-4-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just keep refusing it. I have started switch wifi off when I am boing to use the app, no sim card in the phone I use. Indeed I have removed the wifi log in on some of my screen devices.
2022-4-2
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-2 11:11
Just keep refusing it. I have started switch wifi off when I am boing to use the app, no sim card in the phone I use. Indeed I have removed the wifi log in on some of my screen devices.

There is a switch in DJI Fly settings to disable "check for updates". I think it is in the "About" section in Settings.
2022-4-2
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

It’s been a while since I visited this thread but I’ve found the solution to the numerous issues I was having with the DJIFly APP, and that is to delete it along with the DJIGo4 App. Instead I’m now using Litchi.  I Know that some religious fanatics will  claim, so as it is written in the DJI Bible, that “ To use anything other than DJI APPs with DJI products invalidates your warranty”. Well now that DJI have locked down the use of third part apps and the ability to roll back the firmware on most of their products I can’t see myself “leasing” any DJI products in the future.
2022-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nidge Posted at 4-3 01:48
It’s been a while since I visited this thread but I’ve found the solution to the numerous issues I was having with the DJIFly APP, and that is to delete it along with the DJIGo4 App. Instead I’m now using Litchi.  I Know that some religious fanatics will  claim, so as it is written in the DJI Bible, that “ To use anything other than DJI APPs with DJI products invalidates your warranty”. Well now that DJI have locked down the use of third part apps and the ability to roll back the firmware on most of their products I can’t see myself “leasing” any DJI products in the future.

I Know that some religious fanatics will  claim, so as it is written in the DJI Bible, that “ To use anything other than DJI APPs with DJI products invalidates your warranty”.
That would only be said by those that can't read what the warranty says.

Well now that DJI have locked down the use of third part apps
No they haven't.
2022-4-3
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 4-3 01:57
I Know that some religious fanatics will  claim, so as it is written in the DJI Bible, that “ To use anything other than DJI APPs with DJI products invalidates your warranty”.
That would only be said by those that can't read what the warranty says.

Actually I know what the warranty says and it’s arse about face. Essentially the warranty can be void even if you use DJI Apps, see the first two lines below.

Secondly DJI’s most recent firmware releases for the FPV drone and I believe the Mini2 prevent the ability to rollback to previous versions of firmware, and block the use of such applications as Drone Hacks and similar. Now I don’t condone the use of these APPs so as to be able to fly in restricted areas, but in my case DJI incorrectly designated my area as a NFZ back in 2014 and it still has not been corrected. So the only way for me to use a DJI product is to disable the GeoZones database.

No other manufacturer imposes such restrictions on its users. I idea the Anafi, Thermal and USA, there are no such restrictions on these drones. And Parrot positively encourage users to develope applications. If DJI were so against the use of any third party anything then why release the SDK’’s?

I’m not trying to pick a fight. I would just like DJI to treat its customers not as petulant five year olds that require constant adult supervision but as customers. Just because they’re currently the  only game in town when it comes to consumer drones should not give the manufacturer carte blanc to dictate how the purchaser can use the product, otherwise you are effectively just leasing the product.
2022-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nidge Posted at 4-4 01:43
Actually I know what the warranty says and it’s arse about face. Essentially the warranty can be void even if you use DJI Apps, see the first two lines below.

[view_image]

Actually you don't understand what the warranty says at all.
It doesn't say what you think it does.

I'll put that part here and see if you can work it out now.
What This After-Sales Policy Does NOT Cover
This policy does not cover the following:
× Any software programs, whether provided with the product or installed subsequently.

If that still isn't clear to you, ask and I'll explain it.

If DJI were so against the use of any third party anything then why release the SDK’’s?
Where did you get the idea that DJI are so against the use of any third party anything?
Because it's not true at all.
You can use whatever 3rd party anything you like.
If the 3rd party thing can be shown to have caused damage or loss of the drone, DJI will rightly not honour a warranty claim.
What's so hard to understand about that?

DJI have chosen to make it difficult to hack their drones and that's their right.
It's a choice they've made and you can use other drones if you don't like their choice.

2022-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules