Just got new Inspire Batteries wont charge, Charger gets Extremely Hot
1587 5 2015-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I just got my new inspire today, and an extra battery. Seems as though neither battery would charge at first, and the charger gets extremely hot. , I have one that seems to be charging now, but again the charger is real hot, is this normal? One battery had no lights when pushing the button, I put it on the charger and nothing happened even after about 20 minutes.  

I took the top off and unplugged the connector and let it set for a few minutes,  when I plugged the connector back in, the first led began to blink as though I had turned on the battery or plugged it in to the charger, I shut the battery off and then plugged it in to the charger, It seems to be charging now, After removing top and unplugging plug and plugging back in, the second battery, also seems to be charging.  

Also upon removing the tops on the two batteries, one of them had the wires folded over top of the plug and was being pinched, that is 2 out of 3 of the batteries that I have received with wires being pinched,  Please look at my other link on the batteries for a  better illustration of the pinched wires.  http://forum.dji.com/thread-23697-1-1.html

2015-7-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

The charger can get very hot.
2015-7-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

The stock  power supply gets pretty hot and this is true when the batteries are very low.

You may wish to put a fan blowing on this thing while you get familiar with the process.
Rich
2015-7-20
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Good thanks
after I upgraded everything, and recharged the partially discharged battery, the power supply did not get as hot,  The batteries must have been in that hibernation mode and wouldn't come out , until unplugged and reset,  I guess the upgrade supposedly fixes that problem for in the future
2015-7-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Yes the standard charger gets extremely hot.  

I have posted this on other threads and have started to compile some data on the surface temperature of the charger as I nearly dropped my charger in the past because it was so hot.

I have data from charging batteries up to 50/60% for storage, but not yet from a full discharge cycle.  Once I have finished collecting data I will post findings.  

From my experience if the standard chargers gets so hot you can't handle it, in my opinion it is not fit for purpose and could be a fire risk.    As stated once I have collated some data DJI will be in a better position to advise further.  Perhaps we both just have defective charging units.

2015-7-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-21 20:56
Yes the standard charger gets extremely hot.  

I have posted this on other threads and have started ...

It does seem a bit to hot
2015-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules