IOS App Phone Charging - cannot disable
3817 26 2021-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

The new version of DJI Fly for AIR2 does not offer the ability to disable phone charging as before from the controller.

Please put this functionality back in the app.

I was flying yesterday in 90+ degree weather and with the phone also charging, it got very hot and screen goes dim and phone overheats.

I charge my phone and do not need this.  Please put back in the app the ability to enable or disable charging.

Bob

2021-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fully agree, total mess should not be in the app “unless” button to turn/switch off..I’m amazed anyone could be happy with this.
2021-6-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-6 07:51
Fully agree, total mess should not be in the app “unless” button to turn/switch off..I’m amazed anyone could be happy with this.

Unfortunately, those of us on Android have had this issue since day one.  Not sure why they are forcing it on iOS devices.
2021-6-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

FWIW the missing option toggle was also being discussed in Latest DJI FLY update (iOS) takes away phone charging and DJI said it was an intentional decision, but offered no rationale for the removal. For some reason the OP has been banned but you can still follow the thread and see DJI's initial response. I'd expect a forthcoming update to addess why some are actually not seeng charging when they apparently should be.
2021-6-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bob. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-6-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-6 18:25
Hello there Bob. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and fly safe always.

+1 Had the same issue over the weekend,   anything over about 25c ambient and its very easy for the phone to overheat whist charging.
2021-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 00:32
+1 Had the same issue over the weekend,   anything over about 25c ambient and its very easy for the phone to overheat whist charging.

Hi there DAFlys. Thank you for the reply and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Rest assured that these information will also be forwarded. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-7 21:07
Hi there DAFlys. Thank you for the reply and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Rest assured that these information will also be forwarded. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

thank you DJI Stephen.   
2021-6-7
Use props
joelp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4550213 ft
Philippines

I've also noticed that it has dramatically shortened the charge on my controller. I use a 9.7" iPad Pro as my monitor and I used to get at least 15 flights before get to 1 solid light on the controller. With the recent update, I think i've only flown it at the most 7 flights and it's already down to 1 solid light and 1 blinking light  so I'm guessing around the 30- 40% battery level for the controller. Also my iPad says it's not charging. so if the controller is not charging up my iPad, and the controllers battery is draining up a lot faster than it used to, where is this juice that's supposed to be in my controller going? DJI should bring back this phone charging option back to the Fly app.
2021-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 22:48
thank you DJI Stephen.

Hi there DAFlys. You are very much welcome and if you have any other concerns or any inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you. .
2021-6-8
Use props
DaddyLee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483619 ft
United States

Well that's nice and dandy that phone charging is back, but we need an option to turn off auto charging. I NEVER used it in the past and had ZERO issues with overheating. Now, with it always on, you can immediately feel how much hotter my iPhone gets, as opposed to no charging mode.  Why the heck did you change it from optional charging, to no charging at all, to always charging? Makes zero sense. There are going to be a lot of your customers who are not going to be able to use their controllers in the heat. Is that something you want??
2021-6-10
Use props
DaddyLee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483619 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-7 21:07

Are you going to give me the same BS answer you messaged me earlier??? Are you going to keep ignoring the actual issue, the problem, and the potential solution?? "Turn off background apps", "Your mobile devices NEEDS the automatic charging," and so on. You seem to TOTALLY miss the point. I couldn't care less about the expanded capacity of the controller's new battery WHEN I DON'T WANT TO USE THE CHARGING CAPACITY AT ALL, whether for 2 or 3 or 4 hours. The mobile device battery drainage is nothing new, and has negligible effect on increased battery drainage, especially for those who make certain that their phones are totally charged. I see the option for those who wish to use default charging, but WE NEED AN OPTION TO TURN IT OFF. This is not an uncommon problem. I'm certain that DJI knows about this issue and couldn't care less.
2021-6-11
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

This is a real problem.  I was out in 80 degree F temp on a paid mission and my iPhone XS Max started to go dark because of the high temp combination of the charging and weather.  I cannot use my Mavic 2 Air if this is not fixed.  It is critical to me that the ability to stop charging be put back in the DJI FLY app.

Please escalate this critical issue, the drone is unusable outside in the summer!

Bob
2021-6-13
Use props
fans04dab854
lvl.1
Flight distance : 587369 ft
United States

Bump.

Can we get an update on this app issue? Looks like my previous comment was not posted??
2021-7-1
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Strange that iPhones are getting hot with only a 500mA charge (a fraction of what a USB-C charger puts out) from the controller. Those of us who use android devices have never had the option to turn charging off and I don't recall reading any heat related issues due to charging.
2021-7-2
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 7-2 10:15
Strange that iPhones are getting hot with only a 500mA charge (a fraction of what a USB-C charger puts out) from the controller. Those of us who use android devices have never had the option to turn charging off and I don't recall reading any heat related issues due to charging.

They are getting hot and screen goes dark when being used and charged outside when temps 80+. High CPU usage of the app is the cause also.
2021-7-2
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would seem to me that DJI could simply update their Remote Controller firmware to "disable" the charging circuit that is built in and be done with all of this logic about whether to charge or not charge any display device being used with their product.  I think this issue was a matter of someone overthinking the functionality of the Remote Controller in the design team.  DJI should go back to the basics and only worry about their product's voltage necessary for operation, IMHO.  The iOS and Android worlds are complicated enough by their own.  We don't need DJI trying to solve external interface problems by charging vs. no charging circuits.  
2021-7-3
Use props
Hutch360
lvl.1
United States

Got the same problem here on an XS Max after the new update.  Dim screen, can't fly with FLY...
2021-7-5
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

I really need this fixed, I cannot use my Mavic Air 2.  Today it was only 73F and my iPhone got so hot it turned dark in about 10 minutes.  It is an iPhone XS Max.  Please get the option to disable charging back in the app!  My DJI product is on the shelf.

There were no other apps running, WiFi off, etc….
2021-7-5
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3230748 ft

United States

I'm just as frustrated as everyone else here with the dimming of the IOS devices. Does this happen on all Android devices? If not can someone let those interested in getting an Android tablet that is under $150 that doesn't have this dimming issue? Who knows when DJI will get around to fixing this. I'm sure not buying a $700 controller!
2021-7-5
Use props
djiuser_Lhp0PaSNKNsa
lvl.1

United States

Same issue for me.  Flying in siesta key getting some good videos of Hurricane Elsa waves and screen goes dim. Thought it was some sort of ae lock I turned on. Then I remembered the forced charging.  This really needs addressed. The toggle in the app was perfect.  
2021-7-7
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_Lhp0PaSNKNsa Posted at 7-7 07:19
Same issue for me.  Flying in siesta key getting some good videos of Hurricane Elsa waves and screen goes dim. Thought it was some sort of ae lock I turned on. Then I remembered the forced charging.  This really needs addressed. The toggle in the app was perfect.

I am the OP.  Just for curiosity, what phone are you using?

I was using my iPhone XS Max with no SIM and have this problem

I tried my iPhone 11 Pro and had no problem.  No excess heat at all.

Bob
2021-7-7
Use props
TomasP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 121253 ft
Poland

Charge button is BACK on iOS !
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 663&pid=2516728
2021-7-7
Use props
fans04dab854
lvl.1
United States

I will check the DJI Fly app tonight for my Air 2S.

This is a simple code flip within the application itself and not a limitation of the controller or drone firmware.
2021-7-7
Use props
fans04dab854
lvl.1
United States

Yes, the setting to disable remote USB charging has been restored. Set to off by default as I previously had it set.

DJI please note, you ground my fleet when this setting is both enabled and you remove the ability to turn it off or on. Removing this function forces me to utilize third party applications.
CE84C8A7-AE6A-4EF4-84F8-D1E3CA289DF7.png
2021-7-9
Use props
fans04dab854
lvl.1
United States

AE1M Posted at 7-7 10:28
I am the OP.  Just for curiosity, what phone are you using?

I was using my iPhone XS Max with no SIM and have this problem

Sounds like you are running conflicting application versions. This is likely due to the inability of your installed apps to complete regular auto updates.
2021-7-9
Use props
djiuser_xdk0cjSVkPgO
New
Malaysia

2022-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules