Stabilization problem
1382 15 2021-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

Hi,

I have my Phantom 3 Pro for over two years and all the time everything was fine. Maybe it's only coexidence but when I put the sun cover on the camera about two weeks ago the gimbal started to jump and shake. You can see it in the first part of the attached video. Now by every flight, even without the sun cover, the gimbal shakes slightly even when flying slow or even when the drone isn't moving at all. It can be seen in the second part of the video. This is very annoying... Any idea what can be done to fix it? Everything is calibrated properly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17XcmlZRq5r7JuP7zayX9DBVilTJnr8Aq/view?fbclid=IwAR39_CLaEcJEwOuLOkbxOLrRx2ZLN3d-gFn8eoUmbKLBlSLBJS59OJvGyug

Kind regards
Przemek
2021-6-10
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Not quite sure what a sun cover is but was the drone/camera on when you attached it, handled the camera? If so you may well have upset the stabilisation system and personally I have no idea how you can correct it.
Hopefully someone with the knowledge will come on.
2021-6-10
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

I mean something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/C38Vi8xhVQpT34eA9
2021-6-10
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

But was the drone turned on when you attached it? If so that is probably what has caused the problem.
2021-6-10
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

No, the drone was off when I attached it
2021-6-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please try to remove the said accessories that you install and check if the issue persists? Also, please try to perform the gimbal calibration and check if there would be some changes. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2021-6-10
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

The sun cover was removed right after the flight you can see in the first part of the video. Gimbal was calibrated several times but the problem still exists - it looks all the time just like in the second part of the video.
2021-6-10
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Remove the lens hood, you don't need it and it just could be causing a problem with the extra weight.Try doing a gimbal calibration.
Look it up on the web, there are dozens of YouTube videos showing you how.

2021-6-10
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

I did the gimbal and IMU calibration several times. Battery and drone was cold and it was perfectly leveled.
2021-6-11
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

Does anyone have an idea? Maybe some part needs to be exchanged?
2021-6-14
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

My camera was jumpy.  I found out that there was something loose on the gimbal mechanism.  It was years ago, so I cannot remember exactly what it was, but I had to partly disassemble the gimbal mechanism and tighten something and it took care of the problem .
Also check to see if the set screw on the main camera motor shaft is tight.  There is a video on YouTube showing how to adjust this.  

2021-6-14
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I agree that there is likely something loose on the gimbal.  The extra weight from the hood might have brought it on.  I have used them in the past without any problems.  I'd recommend checking the set screws on the motor shafts as suggested by SpecialProjects above.  I'd also double-check the four corner rubber suspension supports for the gimbal and make sure there are only two anti-drop pins, just for good measure.
2021-6-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

IMO it's not a good idea to use an aftermarket accessory on the camera as it skews the balance of the camera with the gimbal.  I tried it long ago with filters and learned the hard way you have to use the more expensive but legit DJI filters or the camera will have intermittent shuddering problems on random start ups.  If you insist on it, you can try to counterbalance the weight by taping coins to the back and the side.  I tried that too but I have decided the best plan is to just keep all the aftermarket stuff off the camera.  Also - my camera still does shudder at times even when it's naked, but it's relatively rare  - say once in five start ups.  Sometimes just launching and flying will wriggle it enough so that it fixes itself.  But most times when I see it before launch, I reboot the P3 which will fix it.  Good luck
2021-6-15
Use props
przemo1
lvl.1

Poland

Hi guys. Thanks a lot! I tightened the screws and everything works just as before! Thanks again!
2021-6-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

przemo1 Posted at 6-16 06:02
Hi guys. Thanks a lot! I tightened the screws and everything works just as before! Thanks again!

We're glad that you already manage to isolate the issue by following the suggestion of our co-pilots here in Forum. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support!
2021-6-24
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Good news przemo1, happy flying!
2021-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules