Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FLIR Thermal camera
6354 13 2015-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I got my FLIR one thermal camera for ios today.. trying to see how i can attach to my Inspire -One...anyone has any ideas?  Thanks The size of this camera is amazing..
http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/26/fl ... thermal-camera-ios/
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/ ... gen-thermal-camera/

2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

You can't connect it to the Inspire.
Only way to get it airborne is to attach the phone and camera to the inspire - but you will not have any ability to control it from the ground.
Supposedly DJI has ordered a large quantity of the FLIR sensors for an upcoming camera - but no actual word on what that may be.
If it does happen, they will probably be using the same sensor as your phone attachment. This will produce pretty pictures, but is not radiometric nor calibrated.

For accurate thermal imaging, a significantly more sophisticated / expensive / heavy sensor and electronics are needed, much too heavy for the Inspire.
2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Have never bothered with switching to airplane mode - never had any issues.
Cellular handsets use frequencies that are nowhere near those used by the Inspire.
I don't use my handset as a hotspot, so wifi not an issue.

My opinion is that it's not an issue and switching airplane mode off is not needed.
I check the feed Channels everytime before takeoff and never seen interference.

Your mileage may vary however.

2015-7-21
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I own an FLIR PS16 hand-held scout monocular and with some minimal experience in thermal I can tell you this:

The Flir ONE microbolometer is 60 x 80 pixels, so meaningful image capture past 50-100 feet in unlikely. The 640x480 spec is for the display; the microbolometer captures the image.
Unless you plan to fly dangerously close to things AT NIGHT, this is probably a hapless venture. Sorry.
2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-22 11:56
Oooh. Interesting.
Why do you attach your cellphone to your Inspire? Do you use it as a GPS tracke ...

The product the OP posted about is an attachment for an iPhone that provides a basic thermal imaging capability. It is phone specific and cannot directly attach to the Inspire.

Hence my statement that if he wanted to fly with the thermal imager, it would require the entire phone plus attachment to be somehow secured to the Inspire.   

Normal cellphone emissions are not in the frequency bands used by the I1. Use of WiFi hotspots, etc notwithstanding.
2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Paul,

I have 20+ years experience in the field of electronic engineering and systems integration.
Many, many people have fitted GPS/Cellular based trackers directly to their Inspires and flown without issue.
Others have mounted phones and flown without issue. (recent LG ad a case in point)

Your example of discriminating audio frequencies just a few Khz apart is not relevant as we are talking 2100Mhz, 1800MHz, 900Mhz and 850MHz as commonly used cellular bands as distinct from the 2.4 and 5.2Ghz bands used by the inspire. Closest is 300Mhz away.

Have you purchased an Inspire yet? I'd like to hear how you go and what you think of it.
2015-7-21
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-7-22 03:59
I own an FLIR PS16 hand-held scout monocular and with some minimal experience in thermal I can tell  ...

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Dave
2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Have dabbled here and there - details are boring but included radio, optical, copper based data links as well as integration into sensing and control systems.
Have moved into business consulting and process work - so not making money from UAV myself, but looking to integrate UAV based operations into Asset Management programs.
Yes, lots of links used by various aviation systems, but we aren't meant to fly in the vicinity of manned flight operations, aircraft or airport infrastructure.

Anyway, this has been done to death - enjoy the Inspire when it arrives and fly safe
2015-7-22
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Rbimd Posted at 2015-7-22 03:59
I own an FLIR PS16 hand-held scout monocular and with some minimal experience in thermal I can tell  ...

I have a DroneThermal camera on a F550 that sends live video to the ground. I have only benchtested it yet. The resolution is as you say not good, but I hope that while flying at least I can have a chance to find a lost person or a hurt animal like a moose from at above tree-top level. The interesting thing is just for me to get a larger heat signal. If I find it I can send people there to investigate closer.

The new Lepton have a better resolution, (that one in the OP's post). I have one of those, too. The quality is much better. Hopefully the developer of DroneThermal will make a new one with the new Lepton. Well, and if I can wish, even better would be if DJI made a FLIR camera within a resonable price range ;)
2015-7-22
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The size of sensor in FLIR one comment by RBIMD makes sense...
FLIR ONE’s Lepton™ thermal sensor is 80x60 pixels and the visible camera is VGA (640x480), but the
MSX blending in FLIR ONE embosses the visible camera onto the thermal images, making the resolution
appear much higher. When displaying real-time images or recording video, FLIR ONE employs an image
enhancement that produces a 160x120 thermal image. When you snap a still image, the thermal resolution
is enhanced to 640x80 resolution. See the resolution for yourself at FLIR.com/FLIRONE.
2015-7-22
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Not to question anyone's understanding of radio technology at all, but I have been flying with one of Johnson Telemetry's trackers on my I1 for some time now with zero problems.  In remote areas the 10 mile range is unequaled by any other tracker (where cell is unavailable).  I know that 'theoretically' I should have issues and I may be lucky, but here in the real world I have had no issues. BTW, it sends an active signal quite a bit below the control range of the I1.
2015-7-22
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

arunmehta Posted at 2015-7-22 17:23
The size of sensor in FLIR one comment by RBIMD makes sense...
FLIR ONE’s Lepton™ thermal sensor  ...

Yes, I did some more reading about it. The sensor size is the same, low resolution. But there are some nifty image enchancements they do with the VGA camera, so everything appears in higher resolution. Anyway, hope this can be ported to drones someday. Yes, the resolution is low, but so is the price compared to the high resolution ones. And on a drone my guess is that most can accept a lower resolution camera due to the constant moving of the drone.
2015-7-22
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

It's not just a matter of resolution however.
When used as a UAV payload, there are a number of additional considerations.

Frame rate and exposure are big considerations, especially if you are operating in gusty conditions. (e.g. thermal survey of HV ABCs and switchgear)
We have had a number of issues inspecting HV infrastructure for thermal anomalies with mid to higher end FLIR gear mounted on UAV when the wind gets up.
The flight platform needs to be extremely stable for the imager to capture clearly - just a bit of buffeting ruins the image quickly. Flight planning is critical to success here.

When performing inspections, relative heat differences can be valuable indicative information but your customer will very quickly want to see actual temperature readings with some accuracy.
The larger FLIR cameras are able to give you this data, but are much too big / heavy for an Inspire.

If DJI comes up with a Lepton based camera for the Inspire I'll definitely pick one up - but be realistic folks, a high resolution, radiometric FLIR camera will cost you more than a couple of Inspires.
2015-7-23
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

The FLIR Vue Pro has just been released... and FLIR's promotional materials shows it mounted on a Phantom!
http://www.flir.com/vuepro/

Now with the beefed up Inspire 1 Pro (motors, props, camera)...
I just need to find a way to mount the FLIR Vue on a gimbal that will fit my 1st generation Inspire - or perhaps I'll sell that one and get 2x Inspire 1 Pros.
One for thermal imaging and one for video and still images.
I see on the DJI Inspire accessories page you can buy a complete aircraft without camera... it's getting better all the time ;-)

I will put my S900 wish on the back burner for now... it is clear that a large payload carrier like the S900 is no longer required for my purposes. The X5 is doing what the GH4 was going to do for me and the FLIR Vue has eliminated the A65 + recorder + heavy 12V batteries + plus + plus + plus...

But I can be missing something too...
2015-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules