Who has bought a Pocket 2 but gone back to using their Pocket 1
1760 14 2021-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just for users with a P1 and a P2
Purely out of interest as there appear to be various adverse comments about the P2.  Who has bought a Pocket 2 but has since gone back to using their Pocket 1 ?  
If you have, what is your main reason for doing this?

2021-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I only have the P2 and I like it a lot.
Why do you think someone wants to go back?
2021-6-15
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-15 03:40
I only have the P2 and I like it a lot.
Why do you think someone wants to go back?

Some users have reported that they feel the P1 produced better quality images was one reason.
2021-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

John Walker Posted at 6-15 04:36
Some users have reported that they feel the P1 produced better quality images was one reason.

Ah ok.
I so far have not heard about it.
I really like the DNG output from the P2 and the cinelike video too.
Default JPEG is quite bad, as is the default color profile. (in my opinion)
But DNG and cinelike work very well for me.
2021-6-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think of video and audio together.  Perhaps it is true that the P1 has better video quality, but the audio is not anywhere near as good as the P2.  Personally  I would sacrifice a little video quality for the P2 audio quality.
2021-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there John Walker. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best information from our fellow DJI members with regards to this matter. In addition I will post a link where in you can compare the specifications of the DJI Osmo Pocket to the DJI Pocket 2. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2021-6-15
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

1. I don't like that wide lens on Pocket 2. It is too wide for those who are not making vlogs. I also wanted "wide lens" to be "tele lens". DJI never gave optically that Pocket 1 FOV to Pocket 2. I don't like digital zoom. I never use it. You can do zooming in the post. Sad not even 3rd party did tele lens to get image a bit more in.

2. Pocket 1 somehow feels like better quality materials and it never lags like Pocket 2 does. It just works no matter what settings. Just like camcorders do. They just work.

3. Like mentioned earlier Pocket 2 images must be DNG:s and then convert to JPGs in post. I don't know but Pocket 2 JPGs are something.. something..

4. Pocket 2 Wireless mic audio is very good.

5. Pocket 2 has a lot more problems with SD Cards than Pocket 1. Pocket 1 accepts all my cards but Pocket 2 accepts only one of my freaking cards. Anyway this subject is another topic..

Anyways I use both and both devices needs a lot more firmware updates. They feels like two different products for different use. Both have own pros and cons. It is like mavic zoom and pro.. You get it.
2021-6-15
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-15 05:28
I think of video and audio together.  Perhaps it is true that the P1 has better video quality, but the audio is not anywhere near as good as the P2.  Personally  I would sacrifice a little video quality for the P2 audio quality.

"p2 audio quality".. with its 192kbps bitrate.. you are satisfied with nothing.
with the gopro you can store the raw uncrompressed audio. It's not needed for most of the people, but for sure I wouldn't say p2 has aa good audio quality. Also wind noise reduction is really bad compared to the gopro.
2021-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had both, but after 3 months I saw no reason to keep P1, its a great camera and still relative but I think P2 is better .
2021-6-16
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I still have both.
I simply cannot sell my Osmo Pocket, since with the current firmware status, it is better than the successor in my opinion.

OP has a way better color profile than P2, a better picture quality overall (in particular regarding the compression artifacts), a better tracking, longer battery life and it is faster at AE.
P2 is only better regarding audio (even if lower), AF and additional functionalities (gimbal lock and zoom).

At the end of the day, I prefer using OP.
Still hoping in a better firmware for P2
2021-6-17
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mgozer Posted at 6-17 04:04
I still have both.
I simply cannot sell my Osmo Pocket, since with the current firmware status, it is better than the successor in my opinion.

Hi,  Your reply is in line with the reason for my question,  Reading the various comment about the P2 on this forum it seems that a firmware update is well overdue,  When I look at footage between my P1 and P2 the P1 does appear to have better clarity in my eyes.  Don't get me wrong, the P2 gives great footage but I always have my P1 and P2 with me and I still use the P1 a lot. I can't put my finger on it but I  feel the P1 footage is of better quality - or certainly gives that impression.  The audio is not of too much importance for me as I mainly use music overlays on my style of videos.
Looking forward to the promised P2 firmware update.
2021-6-17
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063596 ft
Australia

I sold my P1 and accessories for $400, that would be 50% below cost. I bought the P2 Combo for $750. Because the P2 had better specs.

I'd find the P2 video footage is unpredictable. There are times it is good, most times to much noise. Especially, where there are movements like tree leaves moving on the wind.

P2 firmware update is too long. Some in other forum said it could be hardware issue due to the processor under performances with the device higher spec.

I've recently bought a 2nd hand P1 without any accessories for $200. P1 performance is more predictable and stable. I have more confidence using the P1 knowing the quality will be the same with good results and the footage don't get rejected due to noise. P2 don't get used as much.

I think P2 is a very good blog machine, good for YouTube and social media on small screen. I'm keeping it as I may do some blogs in the future.
2021-6-17
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063596 ft
Australia

I also agree with John Walker comment. I can't put my finger on the exact problem with P2. There are a few extras steps to perform before you get decent footage (battery saver mode or not). Repeat those same steps next time, the footage isn't as good.

With the P1, there are less steps required. Just take it out and shoot and get similar results.

It is just maybe (my opinion) the wider field of view of P2 means to much is going on in the footage. Minor imperfections just gets increase to the entire footage.
2021-6-17
Use props
kapsolas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184626 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never upgraded to a P2 and love my P1.
I didn't see much value in the feature set of the P2 to force me to upgrade.
2021-6-18
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

John Walker Posted at 6-17 10:56
Hi,  Your reply is in line with the reason for my question,  Reading the various comment about the P2 on this forum it seems that a firmware update is well overdue,  When I look at footage between my P1 and P2 the P1 does appear to have better clarity in my eyes.  Don't get me wrong, the P2 gives great footage but I always have my P1 and P2 with me and I still use the P1 a lot. I can't put my finger on it but I  feel the P1 footage is of better quality - or certainly gives that impression.  The audio is not of too much importance for me as I mainly use music overlays on my style of videos.
Looking forward to the promised P2 firmware update.

The P1 audio quality is not an issue for me as well, since I always cut it out add add music.
2021-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules