2020 9 2015-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AYA74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2002713 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Tahoe_Ed, if you read, some of us have noticed abnormal vibrations using the new DJI carbon fibre reinforced props as we could clearly see the gimbal shaking more than usual while hovering (compared with the white composite props) and we are worrying about the potential effect on the shell of the P3 especially as a few users have already reported cracks especially around the screw holes under the motors.

I share with you the link of another discussion on PhantomPilots forum: http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... g-propellers.48661/

For your information, I have checked the balance of my props using my DuBro prop balancer and they are perfectly balanced so I am not sure what is causing such vibrations.

Appreciate if you can investigate with your colleagues.

Cheers.
2015-7-21
Use props
shorinjimonk
lvl.1

Canada

I received my CF props from DJI yesterday and when I went for a flight it did the exact same thing!! Thought I was the only one. After removing them and trying the white props instead it was far more stable. I'm wondering about what potential damage this can cause to the aircraft?
2015-7-22
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

shorinjimonk Posted at 2015-7-22 20:25
I received my CF props from DJI yesterday and when I went for a flight it did the exact same thing!! ...

Have you checked the props for balance?

I think some of the CF hullabaloo is overblown. Yes, the CF looks neat, but is it really better? Just how much lighter is a CF prop vs a plastic/delrin/nylon prop? And how much more costly are the CF props vs the regular ones?

Having seen some nasty photos of accidents with plastic props, makes me wonder just how much damage could be done by a CF prop, relative to a plastic one. (In my mind I'm seeing a guy with slash marks on his arm from a runaway prop.
2015-7-22
Use props
AYA74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2002713 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-22 21:08

I think some of the CF hullabaloo is overblown. Yes, the  ...

Hi,

Just one remark. They are not exactly carbon fibre props but carbon reinforced so they are not as harder than the real carbon fibre props. They still actually feel like composite plastic, just maybe slightly stronger.

The problem is that they seem to generate a lot of vibrations and I can confirm to you that mine have been checked using DuBro prop balancer and they are properly balanced... Something is weird and I would be interested in hearing from other P3 owners who are actually using them.
2015-7-22
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I can assure you that they can cut. They are very stiff and very sharp. As for the vibrations....I don't have any with them. That is a curious issue. If they are balanced they shouldn't cause vibrations. Hmmm, no idea here.
2015-7-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

This is not about weight and they look like plastic because its carbon reinforced plastic, not real carbon fibre in epoxy layers. Those props are just stiffer and more rigid, stiffer props make the phantom more aggressive to fly. If those props produce more jello than i would sell them
2015-7-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Those black looking props with "carbon reinforced" words in the description means DJI can sell the black colored props for more money than the standard white props.  And they appear to have a balancing QC issue with the black colored props that have the words "carbon reinforced" in the product description.

Just because something is advertised as "carbon" does not actually mean it's better.  Here is a clear case where people are reporting PROBLEMS with a "carbon" tainted product.

Caveat Emptor.
2015-7-22
Use props
shorinjimonk
lvl.1

Canada

No I did not....but I will definitely do so. Based on what I've read about vibrations, this is usually the cause. Does DJI do any testing before sending these items out?!?! Makes me wonder...If these props are in fact imbalanced what is the best way to correct this issue? For now, I will stick with the white ones....
2015-7-23
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

shorinjimonk Posted at 2015-7-23 20:24
No I did not....but I will definitely do so. Based on what I've read about vibrations, this is usu ...

I did not mean to imply that all props must be balanced. If the flight of a Phantom seems fine and video seems fine, there's probably not anything else to do except to find more subjects! However, if you appear to have an unexplained vibration, one of the first possible places to snoop could be to find out if your props are unbalanced or not.

There are several good prop balancers on the market. Just be sure you buy something that can be used with the Phantom 3 props. I bought one that advertised it works with Phantom 3 props but it turns out you have to order and extra machined spindle since the props do not have a "thru" shaft hole. The extra piece was not particularly expensive, but I just thought it should have been advertised properly and sold with "the right stuff" instead of having to find out after the fact.
2015-7-23
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I just received my CF reinforced props and upon first flight all seems to be well. I did not experience any vibration issues. i just ordered a Dubro prop balancer kit but these props as all my props seem ok. The props are stiffer than the stock ones and my initial flight testing seem to be more crisp actions to input. I will be doing  further testing and report findings vs stock props. I have the black props with yellow stripes. The stripes make the blades visible and that is a plus.
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules