Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Restriced zones - on the simulator. Why???
1347 8 2015-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan
lvl.3

United States

I live in Maryland within the 15 mile radius from the White House restricted zone. So my Inspire can't fly here. But the flight simulator also won't work due to this. That is pretty stupid. Can DJI do anything about that soon? And why can't I fly my Inspire indoors here? I want to shoot inside a large banquet hall.

2015-7-21
Use props
BrianInMN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87310 ft
United States

I have the same issue with the sim as I live next to a small airport.  I contacted both DJI and Drones ETC where I bought it and was told by both I'm basically SOL.
2015-7-22
Use props
dundee
Captain
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-22 11:43
Covering the very top of your bird with a couple of layers of kitchen foil might help to make the GP ...

1) Alan says can't fly indoors too.
      Indoors = GPS deaf.
      So only kitchen foil won't solve the issue here.

2) Note : GPS location is locked after a CSC command.
                   If it the bird is deaf, the app can not lock.

Now here it comes.
      Imo the app remembers the last GPS lock and over write with a new GPS lock after CSC command.
      If the bird is GPS deaf, there is no over write and you are left with the last GPS lock.
      If that GPS lock is within a no fly zone, you can not take off. What if it isn't ?

Maybe you could fool the system (until an update is published)
        1) Take your platform outside the no fly zone, and have some safe fun.
             Now you have the last GPS lock memorized by the app.
        2) Cover the very top with kitchen foil. Test and make sure you have no GPS reception
            Go home (back into the no fly zone) and make sure not to power up the platform without the foil hat.
        3) See if you can fly on the SIM or indoors.

I never tested this in real, but if this works,
   1) Never fly outdoors because you are in a no fly zone.
   2) Respect the rules, and above all safety !!!

2015-7-22
Use props
w1der
Second Officer

Sweden

dundee Posted at 2015-7-22 23:29
1) Alan says can't fly indoors too.
      Indoors = GPS deaf.
      So kitchen foil won't solv ...

Will the GPS inside the device ruin this genius plan of yours? ... we will see ...
2015-7-22
Use props
dundee
Captain

Thailand

w1der Posted at 2015-7-22 23:32
Will the GPS inside the device ruin this genius plan of your? ... we will see ...

Imo, if it would, turn it off, but it won't.
2015-7-22
Use props
alan
lvl.3

United States

I tried the kitchen foil but without first getting a GPS lock from another place outside the restricted area. Today I flew so maybe I'll try again with aluminum foil and see if I can defeat the GPS lock. I have the wifi turned off on my iPad so that is not going to report my location.  This really is idiotic. For the life of me, I can't even understand why the Inspire needs to be on to use the simulator.
2015-7-22
Use props
alan
lvl.3

United States

Thanks. I do have other crafts which do not have an issue, so practicing with them in my front yard is easy for me. I am pretty experienced and the Inspire is so easy to fly that practicing is not much of a need for me, but my wife wanted to fly the simulator. I get what you are saying about the need to have the Inspire connected, but I also have AeroSim RC software and that does a great job of emulating various aircraft. Since I can't use the DJI Simulator, I don't have a clue how sophisticated it is, but I assume that AeroSim is much more comprehensive. (FPV cameras, training program, etc.)

Update. I did get it to work last night by blocking gps. I guess it is useful to try out return to home and some other things. But it doesn't come close to AeroSim.
2015-7-22
Use props
dundee
Captain

Thailand

alan@goldsteinp Posted at 2015-7-23 07:13
Thanks. I do have other crafts which do not have an issue, so practicing with them in my front yard  ...

Hi Alan,

Can you confirm that it works as described in post 4# or was it working by simply blocking the GPS
2015-7-24
Use props
alan
lvl.3

United States

I'll tell you what I did. I flew it outside the restricted zone. Then I brought it inside my house (within the restricted zone) It may be difficult for it to get a GPS signal inside my house but I covered the craft with two large metal baking sheets just to be sure.  No GPS.  I guess I could try again after it gets a GPS lock and then see if blocking the signal makes it forget where it is.  But that will have to be another day as I'm out on location for a while.  The simulator is so basic I would never bother with it again.  I'll have to see if once I remove the baking sheets I could fly indoors.  Does anyone know exactly where the GPS sensor is so I could tape a piece of foil over just that area?

BTW, the deal with the no fly zone in DC is not specifically about airports as in other areas. (Yes, there is Reagan National)  No, it is about national security regarding government building, etc.  And tons of people surely fly models inside the 15 mile DC no fly zone... just not the ones with the GPS lockout. I really don't feel I am a threat to national security when I fly my copter 30 feet high in my front yard or in a nearby park.  I do a lot of testing on the multirotors I have built for work. Local police have left me alone so far.
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules