Focus Motor Freakout
1920 1 2021-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikeylord
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey! First time poster.

Recieved the RS2 Pro Combo yesterday, and put today aside to get to grips with the gimbal and make sure everything was working etc.

I'm using a caged GH5s paired up with a Sigma 18-35 via Metabones. Moved over from Zhiyun and I can immediately tell the difference. This is a really well built, well designed piece of gear. You can feel the quality in it.

But...

The focus motor system is so weird. I can set a manual start and end point on the RS2, which is fine. However, if I select 'calibrate focus motor' on the RS2, the focus motor starts spinning at full speed and actually knocks itself out of the gears on the lens. If I was using a mechanical lens with hard stops, the motor would have broken my lens.

I figured it must be a firmware glitch that would hopefully be fixed soon - and as long as the manual start and end point setting works then I can live with that. I don't neccesarily have to 'calibrate the focus motor' to control focus with the gimbal.

The app, the RS2 and RavenEye are all up to date.

In the DJI Ronin app, using RavenEye/ActiveTrack, I tried to switch on focus control. The only available option after doing that is 'calibrate focus motor'. I hit that, and it happened again. Focus motor spinning at full pelt. Unusable.

So I tried a different route. DJI app main menu > create > focus control. The focus speed was automatically set at 100, and the focus motor went wild again. I tried to move the focus control wheel in the app to a lower speed, and it kept leaping back up to 100.

The other thing is - whenever I try to control focus in the app, the gimbal seems to forget the manual start and end points I had set. Which is super annoying.

The user manual supplied only gives information on calibrating via the Ronin Focus Wheel. Which is a seperate product I'd rather not have to shell out for.

This feature not working properly is a huge shame as a large reason I went for the Pro Combo was the ability to control all aspects of the gimbal using RavenEye/the app.

Has anyone else had this freakout problem with the focus motor? Has anyone solved it? Am I being dumb?

Thanks in advance for any help!
2021-6-24
Use props
JoKa13
lvl.1
Austria

The Sigma 18-35 does not have hard stops, and it is an AF lens with a nonlinear response to the focus throw. Therefore the amount of focus change is not only related to distance travelled on the ring, but also to the speed of this change (try it out by hand!). Sadly, this make this pretty lense a bad fit for the focus motor. I was in the same situation as you and have since shifted to affordable mechanical lenses like the Samyang video primes, since they have hard stops and a linear focus response. This also means they can work with the 3D Focus.
2021-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules