New DJI Ronin-SC - Focus ring flashing Red
937 5 2021-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gangrif
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I am a brand new DJI user, i bought a Ronin-SC with the "pro bundle" which adds the focus ring.

I set up the gimbal, and figured out how to get the ring mounted on my Canon M50, and balanced, and then fired it up and connected to the app from the google play store.  

I was able to test the focus ring, and it was working!  Yaay!  

shortly after logging into the app, and connecting the app to my gimbal, it asked for a firmware update, so I let it perform the update.  It appeared to complete, said it was finished, and restarted the gimbal.  It said it updated the gimbal, and the focus ring.  

Now the focus ring is left in a non-functional state.  When i power on the gimbal, the focus ring controller on the base of the gimbal, flashes red, the focus ring motor that is attached to the camera also flashes red.  No features of the focus ring work.  

The app which is version 1.4.8, reports that the focus ring is at firmware version 2.2, and the gimbal is at version 1.6.0.50.  But when I first did the update, the app was at version 1.4.5 IIRC.  1.4.5 is what comes from the play store, and 1.4.8 is available from DJI's web site.  

DJI's support suggested I update to the latest app, which is what I did, but it has not changed anything.  I can force the focus ring to re-update if I hold the button on the focus ring as i power on the gimbal, but whether this update succeeds or fails, I still end up in the same state, firmware v 2.2, an da non-working focus ring.

I do not know what to try next, can anyone suggest anything? DJI's support seems to be starting to lean toward making me find a local dealer.  THe closest "local" dealer is 2 hours away.  If it comes to that, i'm just going to return this thing.  It's no worth the hassle.

Thanks!

2021-7-3
Use props
Gangrif
lvl.1

United States

So, ive discovered that, if I disconnect the cable from the little splitter box that is attached to the focus motor, that runs to my camera, the focus wheel will sync up witht he focus motor and WORK!  that's a step in the right direction., does this device not work with the Canon M50 for direct control over USB?
2021-7-3
Use props
Gangrif
lvl.1

United States

ho-lee-sheite...

The USB-C cable that goes from the splitter adapter from the focus ring TO the camera... IS DIRECTIONAL!  DOES DJI NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE U IN USB STANDS FOR?!  

So now i have it working.  I can operate the camera from the gimbal, thats pretty awesome, but this usb cable is horribly designed, and it hits the arm on the gimbal.  I found another thread on these forums that talks about it, and mentions a right-angle adapter that will do the trick, so ive ordered one.  I'm happy its working, but holy crap, that's  ridiculous.
2021-7-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Gangrif Posted at 7-3 16:57
ho-lee-sheite...

The USB-C cable that goes from the splitter adapter from the focus ring TO the camera... IS DIRECTIONAL!  DOES DJI NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE U IN USB STANDS FOR?!  

Hi Gangrif, sorry for the difficulties you had experienced, we are happy to hear that you had got it worked in the end. And regarding your concerns, our support had also replied to your email, please check accordingly. Thank you.
2021-7-6
Use props
Gangrif
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 7-6 01:49
Hi Gangrif, sorry for the difficulties you had experienced, we are happy to hear that you had got it worked in the end. And regarding your concerns, our support had also replied to your email, please check accordingly. Thank you.

Yes, Support has responded.  I was trying to see if I could get some other ideas from the community by posting this.

Thanks DJI for the help!
2021-7-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Gangrif Posted at 7-6 05:01
Yes, Support has responded.  I was trying to see if I could get some other ideas from the community by posting this.

Thanks DJI for the help!

Thank you for your support. Hope all your shooting goes smoothly.
2021-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules