iPad Overheating
1771 7 2015-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan
lvl.2

United States

It has been pretty hot here lately and I find that as my iPad Mini 2 Retina gets hot it no longer will display the video from the Inspire. (Laggy and eventually image breakup and virtually no refresh.)  I did some testing and it is not an issue with the Inspire or radio remote. I photograph large real estate developments and can't really stay in the shade.

Is anyone else having this issue? Do other tablets work better? I'm thinking of getting a simple HDMI display such as the Black Pearl but don't need its receiving capabilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated although I don't know if I want to go to a larger form factor. (iPad Air2)

2015-7-23
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

I've got an iPad Air 2.  It over heated once.  Completely shut down with only an over-temp warning displayed.
2015-7-23
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
United States

If you are not using DJI's Director to edit your videos(i don't know anyone who uses DJI's Director), try disabling "Video Caching". It basically does nothing except eats up memory waste computing power.
My Ipad Air was always running hot till i disabled video caching. Runs much cooler now and DJI App no longers eats up memory space.
2015-7-23
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

Thanks, I'll try that.  I would have assumed that once the video streams to the tablet, storing it would be no big deal.  The video that is cached on a hot day is unusable anyway.
2015-7-23
Use props
wattsnb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656444 ft
United Kingdom

This is interesting.  I was using the Inspire yesterday with the iPad Air as my flight screen but with my iPad Mini Retina hooked up to the second controller for the client.  After about 10 minutes they said what are the wide grey lines and video loss on the screen (iPad Mini).  My Air was perfect so now wondering if it was caused by heat.  When I packed things away the iPad Mini was pretty warm.
2015-7-24
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

It seems to me from these posts and others that the IPad Air 2 is better than the Mini 2 Retina. I wish I knew that before I bought the Mini. I had issues again today although not so bad. I was able to mostly stay in the shade and that fixed things. You don't find the Air too bulky? Do you use an anti reflection screen or shade?  Anyone using an HDMI monitor on the second controller for the camera operator? If so which one?
2015-7-24
Use props
BoostedPhantom
lvl.2

United States

I have an anti glare screen protector on my iPad air and I also use a sun shade.  Video from the light bridge will look best on a tablet but you could use a lilliput or black pearl monitor.
2015-7-25
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Have you considered flying without the iPad? I use the cinemizers  from the HDMI port because I've never been able to see clearly on the iPad when working in the sun or bright areas in general.

The Inspire will fly fine without all of the bells & whistles of a iPad or Android tablet. You can still power up the iPad for prefight checks and then shut it down.
2015-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules