Secret Launch Trick DJI MIni 2 / How to Hand Launch and Land / Hi...
123Next >
10983 85 2021-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Secret Launch Trick DJI MIni 2 / How to Hand Launch and Land / Hidden Feature / Catch & Release

2021-7-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DAFlys. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a reminder that DJI may not suggest hand-catching or hand launch your DJI drone for the flight safety concern. Thank you and stay safe always.
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

The trick is to catch it quickly so the sensors don't have time to respond
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-12 02:56
Hello there DAFlys. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a reminder that DJI may not suggest hand-catching or hand launch your DJI drone for the flight safety concern. Thank you and stay safe always.

As long as you know what to do, I think its safe
2021-7-12
Use props
Copenhagen Chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126781 ft
Canada

Might seem like a strange idea, but I have been thinking about carrying around a small-ish pizza peel (as a hand-held landing pad in cases where there's no "land"), instead of catching this by hand.
2021-7-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Copenhagen Chris Posted at 7-12 04:34
Might seem like a strange idea, but I have been thinking about carrying around a small-ish pizza peel (as a hand-held landing pad in cases where there's no "land"), instead of catching this by hand.

One of these is far more portable.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=dro ... mp;ref=nb_sb_noss_2
2021-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find DA.  Love the silly footage at the very end of the video.  
2021-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Copenhagen Chris Posted at 7-12 04:34

As I live on a 62' boat I launch/recover by hand all my drones.  Just a matter of practice and always being mindful of the wind conditions and being safe.  No cuts or accidents to date.
2021-7-12
Use props
Copenhagen Chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126781 ft
Canada

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-12 05:09
One of these is far more portable.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=drone+landing+pad&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Yep, those are great when there's actual "land" to put it on, but if you're in a kayak, canoe, etc, I'd think those are less than ideal, no? Holding a "landing platform" seems like a better approach than hand-landing, IMO.
2021-7-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

That was nice to know Da. Assume it is the same for the Mavic 2 Pro. The grass is growing quite tall here now, so I would prefer to hand catch it instead of moving some grass.
2021-7-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 7-12 07:32
That was nice to know Da. Assume it is the same for the Mavic 2 Pro. The grass is growing quite tall here now, so I would prefer to hand catch it instead of moving some grass.

No,  the M2P doesn't do a nudge launch.
2021-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice find!
2021-7-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cheers Peter.   
2021-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2021-7-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

By the way, I discovered that, by accident as most have ........ you don't have to toss it up, I just let my hand drop away and it still launches fine....maybe not so fine in a strong wind and gets me in the face ;-)
2021-7-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-12 18:42
By the way, I discovered that, by accident as most have ........ you don't have to toss it up, I just let my hand drop away and it still launches fine....maybe not so fine in a strong wind and gets me in the face ;-)

That was lucky,   if it didnt do that like the m2p it could have ended badly.     I normally don't throw mine just a gentle push up with no more than a hand action.
2021-7-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 09:29
No,  the M2P doesn't do a nudge launch.

Hi Da,
Not sure I understand what a "nudge launch" is Is that when he threw the started drone up in the air from his hand?
2021-7-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 7-13 01:06
Hi Da,
Not sure I understand what a "nudge launch" is Is that when he threw the started drone up in the air from his hand?

Just a gentle push up.  If you had a ball in your hand it would go up about 6 inches.
2021-7-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 23:13
That was lucky,   if it didnt do that like the m2p it could have ended badly.     I normally don't throw mine just a gentle push up with no more than a hand action.

Lucky? I don't see how since I have done that maybe 20 or more times so far. Maybe I should play the lottery ;-)
2021-7-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-13 17:32
Lucky? I don't see how since I have done that maybe 20 or more times so far. Maybe I should play the lottery ;-)

Lucky because I did it with the M2P and the thing nearly hit the ground (and probably my legs) as it doesn't have that feature,  luckily I was quick enough on the stick to get the props up to speed.
2021-7-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-13 23:09
Lucky because I did it with the M2P and the thing nearly hit the ground (and probably my legs) as it doesn't have that feature,  luckily I was quick enough on the stick to get the props up to speed.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Also as I recall, the Mini pulled itself up and out of my hand on the first one. Perhaps I had made a slight movement to trigger that response.

2021-7-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-14 08:13
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Also as I recall, the Mini pulled itself up and out of my hand on the first one. Perhaps I had made a slight movement to trigger that response.

Possibly,  it only takes a very tiny amount of upward action to trigger it.
2021-7-14
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I used to grab land but now I just land in my palm by pushing down on left stick. Good instructional video.
2021-7-23
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Cute video.  If I'm flying my Mini from my driveway at home, I usually take off and land on the driveway, but out in the field usually hand launch and land.  I want positive control of the drone, so don't use the open palm methods for either takeoff or landing.
2021-7-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

not that anyone here cares but skydio provides direction on the proper technique to hand launch and land the skydio 2:  

notably when initiating motion tracking, you can actually hand-launch the drone and it knows this and will turn around and recognize you and being tracking (1 minute mark):  
otherwise i just do feel comfortable doing it unless absolutely necessary....too dangerous.
2021-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-23 20:36
not that anyone here cares but skydio provides direction on the proper technique to hand launch and land the skydio 2:  https://youtu.be/vbC2eC7PUMw

notably when initiating motion tracking, you can actually hand-launch the drone and it knows this and will turn around and recognize you and being tracking (1 minute mark):  https://youtu.be/myAUgC5b2-k?t=59

One day they might launch a product that they sell outside the USA.
2021-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 00:20
One day they might launch a product that they sell outside the USA.

https://dronedj.com/2021/07/22/s ... tralia-new-zealand/
2021-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-24 08:05
https://dronedj.com/2021/07/22/skydio-expands-begins-shipping-to-australia-new-zealand/

Lol.  Enterprise only customers though.
2021-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 08:41
Lol.  Enterprise only customers though.

yes but they are getting there; making progress.  you can still get a skydio anywhere you live in the world, lots of people have them outside the usa.  skydio is not a huge consumer drone maker unlike dji or even autel and it's likely that situation won't get any better anytime soon; probably less as they focus on the government/military, etc.  still, the s2 is a great drone and they have tried to enhance hand-launching unlike dji where it can be accomplished but every launch/land is totally risky and is simply unnecessary if only trying to be cool.  just today, i thought i might practice a mini2 hand-landing while i was standing on the sidewalk and immediately changed my mind and decided i simply didn't have time for an unforced error and i landed the drone on the hard pavement.
2021-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-24 12:28
yes but they are getting there; making progress.  you can still get a skydio anywhere you live in the world, lots of people have them outside the usa.  skydio is not a huge consumer drone maker unlike dji or even autel and it's likely that situation won't get any better anytime soon; probably less as they focus on the government/military, etc.  still, the s2 is a great drone and they have tried to enhance hand-launching unlike dji where it can be accomplished but every launch/land is totally risky and is simply unnecessary if only trying to be cool.  just today, i thought i might practice a mini2 hand-landing while i was standing on the sidewalk and immediately changed my mind and decided i simply didn't have time for an unforced error and i landed the drone on the hard pavement.

I tried to order a skydio and was told they didn’t ship outside the USA /Canada.  That makes buying one a real no no for me.  I’d have to get someone else to get it and ship it on and then I have no real warranty as I’d have to keep going through a third party.

As for the mini hand launch and land DJI have done a lot to make it easy on this drone. The nudge take off is awesome and when landing you just make your hand u shaped bring it down and take hold and tilt it forward to shut off the props.    It’s a real joy to use.   Especially compared to doing the same with the m2p.
2021-7-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Was this the 'throw' method we talked about?
2021-8-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 07:48
Was this the 'throw' method we talked about?

Yes,  but you dont need to throw,   just a gentle little push up.
2021-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 07:50
Yes,  but you dont need to throw,   just a gentle little push up.

Still I think the double stick action is awkward. I was hoping for something more convenient.
2021-8-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 07:54
Still I think the double stick action is awkward. I was hoping for something more convenient.

You can just press the auto take off button though.
2021-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 07:58
You can just press the auto take off button though.

I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on
2021-8-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 08:00
I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on

Left hand side of the screen is an up arrow,   then you just press and hold on take off.
2021-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 08:02
Left hand side of the screen is an up arrow,   then you just press and hold on take off.

I will check it out.
I did perform a lot of hand landings on the holiday after sand got stuck in the gimbal and it did not want to move around.
2021-8-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 08:00
I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on

Like this..

2021-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ah thanks.
I should have paid attention more in M2 class
2021-8-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 08:04
Ah thanks.
I should have paid attention more in M2 class

Yes you should,  now for tonights homework you should go out and test it.
2021-8-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules