Too often I press shutter button but drone does not take picture
602 20 2021-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Hello,

I am a professional photographer who has been flying Mavic 2 Pro for a year and a half now. I fly under Part 107. I love my drone, but I have two major complaints about it, including the one I deal with here, which cost me my entire morning take.

Sometimes - all too often, in fact - I press the shutter button but my drone does not take a picture. I will hear a very weak beep and if I press the shutter button immediately after, it will USUALLY take and I will hear the fake motor drive sounds. Couple this with the significant shutter delay of the camera and the fact that the majority of my pictures are of moving trains and timing is critical, this feature causes me to miss many pictures I sometimes wait over an hour for. This morning, I hiked into a heavily mosquito infested area to do retake of a scene I had shot last week but did not get quite right. I pressed the shutter at the right time, but it did not take. Although the train had moved away from the framing I wanted, I reframed it and pressed the shutter again. No picture. I chased it up the tracks for awhile and then pressed the shutter one time. Once again, no picture.

Later, I shot four test pictures in my back yard to see if it would still take and write a picture. All four succeeded but still I had lost my morning's take.

Exasperation!

Does anyone have a solution?

2021-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Frostfrpg. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please and can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 application on your mobile device for us to be able to assist you further Thank you.
2021-7-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The SD card could be getting full of those annoying hidden files that DJI like creating. Copy off the SD card any material you want to keep and then format the card in the aircraft. See how it goes then.
2021-7-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try testing with the internal storage to rule out any SD card issues.
2021-7-13
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Your SD card might be getting full
2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-13 19:34
Hello there Frostfrpg. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please and can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 application on your mobile device for us to be able to assist you further Thank you.

iPad Mini, the latest one. I note that I have installed and reinstalled Go 4 a couple of times for other reasons and it has not had any impact on this, but I will do so again and see what happens.
2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-14 03:40
Your SD card might be getting full

Thank you for the suggestion but this is not the problem.
2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-13 23:28
Try testing with the internal storage to rule out any SD card issues.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't believe it is an SD card issue, as I switch cards after every shoot and it makes no difference. Still, its worth a try.
2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 7-13 19:40
The SD card could be getting full of those annoying hidden files that DJI like creating. Copy off the SD card any material you want to keep and then format the card in the aircraft. See how it goes then.

Good suggestion. I watch my cards closely and they are cheap enough that I never erase a card but keep it as redundant backup.
2021-7-14
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Make sure clean out the cache for that app after you uninstall it. Reboot the device, re-install app, reboot device, and hopefully all will be good.
Another thing to try/verify, is with another device, tabby/phone and see how it works.

It could be your device..

2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 7-14 11:05
Make sure clean out the cache for that app after you uninstall it. Reboot the device, re-install app, reboot device, and hopefully all will be good.
Another thing to try/verify, is with another device, tabby/phone and see how it works.

Thank you, I will. I used to use my iPhone and it seems like it happened then, too, but I can't remember for certain. As painful as it will be to go back to that tiny screen, I will give it a try.
2021-7-14
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

This is from a reshoot I did last night. It worked perfect, as it does about 80 percent of the time.
2021-7-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I may have missed something ... but have you tried using the "button" in the app instead? Does it behave the same way?
2021-7-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frostfrpg Posted at 7-14 10:38
Thank you for the suggestion. I don't believe it is an SD card issue, as I switch cards after every shoot and it makes no difference. Still, its worth a try.

But there may be a defective/intermittent SD card socket or something related. Saving to internal eliminates that possibility.
2021-7-14
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Frostfrpg Posted at 7-14 10:36
Thank you for the suggestion but this is not the problem.

If that's not the case and you've tried deleting and redownloading the DJI GO4 app, then perhaps you should also give logging out/in of your DJI account a try. Maybe that might solve seeing how I've seen a couple posts about random issues that got fixed by doing this
2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-14 18:04
I may have missed something ... but have you tried using the "button" in the app instead? Does it behave the same way?

That could work (possibly)
2021-7-15
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-15 04:52
That could work (possibly)

Gary, I had not used the app button since probably my first day flying the drone more than a year and a half ago. I like to have a wide open, clean screen when I shoot so I can see everything at the edges. But I  did a bunch of test shots using the onscreen app button this morning and it worked every time. Not only that, but it seemed to at least somewhat alleviate the shutter delay problem.

Thank you so much!
2021-7-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frostfrpg Posted at 7-15 13:11
Gary, I had not used the app button since probably my first day flying the drone more than a year and a half ago. I like to have a wide open, clean screen when I shoot so I can see everything at the edges. But I  did a bunch of test shots using the onscreen app button this morning and it worked every time. Not only that, but it seemed to at least somewhat alleviate the shutter delay problem.

Thank you so much!

Since the app button works, that sounds like a defective/intermittent controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234039910307?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

2021-7-15
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the info, Gary. You’ve been a big help.
2021-7-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3340609 ... mp;epid=14047916657

Look around; there may be more.
2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Frostfrpg Posted at 7-15 13:11
Gary, I had not used the app button since probably my first day flying the drone more than a year and a half ago. I like to have a wide open, clean screen when I shoot so I can see everything at the edges. But I  did a bunch of test shots using the onscreen app button this morning and it worked every time. Not only that, but it seemed to at least somewhat alleviate the shutter delay problem.

Thank you so much!

I'm glad it works!
2021-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules