Mavic Mini 2.... gripes & grumbles
1786 19 2021-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Felix Le Chat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1348 ft
United Kingdom

Well... I suppose I should have known better. But.... Three guesses which idiot bought a Mini 2?

I charged the batteries... I plugged in the phone I always use for my Mavic 2 zoom... I tried to install the DJI Fly app (which failed three times on the trot) and then I tried the Huawei tablet I use constantly as my flight screen for the Mavic 2 zoom... I tried to install the DJI Fly app (which failed three times on the trot). I tried my wife's phone which is a bit better and newer - three times - FAIL!. I tried a brand new Galaxy tab - FAIL!

By this time I was so angry you could have lit a cigarette off my face. The cat copped a right packet for annoying me in the process of trying to sort everything out (for which I am truly ashamed) and at the end of the debacle: I still couldn't get the app to install.

What a pity DJI doesn't warn potential purchasers that they need to have the latest all-singing, all-dancing blisteringly fast 64 bit device. What a pity that DJI decides NOT to warn prospective purchasers that they have to buy a £650 phone to fly a £400 drone. So: at the end of one of the most frustrating afternoons of my life I discover that the total outlay for flying a Mini 2 is at least £1000. To hell with it... I'll stick with the Mavic 2 zoom until I can save another £500 to buy an Autel Evo 2.

Three guesses who is going to get another return?

Here's a clue... the first letter is D... the third letter is I...

This is the last time I'm going to waste my time and hard-earned cash buying a DJI product.

NOT IMPRESSED.

2021-7-14
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

Presumably the devices aren't on this list...?

https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2021-7-14
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi felix
I feel your pain, now I have the original Mavic Pro so I use the go 4 app, but just out of interest I have just downloaded successfully the fly app on my huawei mediapad T5 10.1, and it opens and runs fine,
2021-7-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Well... I suppose I should have known better"....yes you certainly should have.

It just amazes me how buyers will not read the compatabile device list before investing hundreds of dollars. I knew my devices might not work before purchase. The 4-year old compatible device I used first cost me only $60 on eBay.
2021-7-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the said issue and assist you further? Thank you.
2021-7-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not all the latest all-singing, all-dancing blisteringly fast 64 bit devices are compatible with the DJI Fly App.  The software pretty much seems to be directed mostly toward iOS devices and a few Android devices but all have to be 64 bit.  
2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Um, I have a £150 Galaxy A21S and the DJI Fly App downloaded perfectly for me. Sure I'm still saving up for the drone itself, but if I can download the app, then I use it too, right?
2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-15 03:44
Not all the latest all-singing, all-dancing blisteringly fast 64 bit devices are compatible with the DJI Fly App.  The software pretty much seems to be directed mostly toward iOS devices and a few Android devices but all have to be 64 bit.

How do you even know if your device is 64-bit?
2021-7-15
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Alvara74 Posted at 7-15 05:40
How do you even know if your device is 64-bit?

All versions of Android since version 5 support 64-bit. I've seen suggestions of going into Settings and looking for 32 or 64 in the kernel version, but every phone seems different when it comes to system settings. There is an app called CPU-Z which will tell you.

The other thing to consider is that the phone needs 3GB RAM as well.
2021-7-19
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 7-19 04:06
All versions of Android since version 5 support 64-bit. I've seen suggestions of going into Settings and looking for 32 or 64 in the kernel version, but every phone seems different when it comes to system settings. There is an app called CPU-Z which will tell you.

The other thing to consider is that the phone needs 3GB RAM as well.

3GB of free ram or total minimum 3gb ram?
2021-7-19
Use props
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

Try and install Fly App version 1.4.0

2021-7-19
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

Try to install it from DJI official site since it's not updated on Google Play Store.
2021-7-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Android devices need 64 bit hardware & 64 bit OS, as some devices have the 64 bit hardware but not 32 bit O/S.
2021-7-19
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Alvara74 Posted at 7-15 05:40
Um, I have a £150 Galaxy A21S and the DJI Fly App downloaded perfectly for me. Sure I'm still saving up for the drone itself, but if I can download the app, then I use it too, right?

I am sorry to confirm to you  Alvara74 but your said device, the Galaxy A21S, although is able to download the said DJI Fly app but will not work with said Mini 2 drone due to incompatibility issues. Thus, you will need to buy a new phone or tablet to fly the said Mini 2 drone.
2021-7-20
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

My very old Google Pixel XL made in 2016 works with DJI Fly. I don't see why anyone would buy a brand new phone when you can get any decent 2-3 years old phone for 150$ or less.
2021-7-20
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

wateroftyne Posted at 7-14 13:54
Presumably the devices aren't on this list...?

https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly

Should be compatible with any device, like any other app.
Very suspicious we had to load a backdoor file to get the app in the first place, and now with this latest 'update' it seems only android users have issues, and apple users have more features.
Am I being paranoid ...?  No, just very astute.
2021-7-21
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

hunterws Posted at 7-21 07:56
Should be compatible with any device, like any other app.
Very suspicious we had to load a backdoor file to get the app in the first place, and now with this latest 'update' it seems only android users have issues, and apple users have more features.
Am I being paranoid ...?  No, just very astute.

There are hundreds of different Android devices, with different chipset, hardware, GPU, screen sizes, resolution, etc.  For any app maker, it's never possible to test on every device.
iPhones? Only 1 or 2 models come out every year and all with standardized hardware. Big difference.

2021-7-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Turbo1ed Posted at 7-21 09:49
There are hundreds of different Android devices, with different chipset, hardware, GPU, screen sizes, resolution, etc.  For any app maker, it's never possible to test on every device.
iPhones? Only 1 or 2 models come out every year and all with standardized hardware. Big difference.

Is it possible to test, and program for every device?  yes
If there are hundreds, it would take a team a short period to solve issues with each.
It's just another shrug & a snub from this company ... could just make a version for each Android version and processor.  With this many problems, you'd think they'd be motivated to solve problems, no, they'll just tell you to go buy another phone.  Is it lazy, conceited, inept or all three?
2021-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I installed the app with no issues on my OLD Tab S2 9.7 and my Note 20 Ultra 5g
2021-7-25
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 7-20 02:26
I am sorry to confirm to you  Alvara74 but your said device, the Galaxy A21S, although is able to download the said DJI Fly app but will not work with said Mini 2 drone due to incompatibility issues. Thus, you will need to buy a new phone or tablet to fly the said Mini 2 drone.

I know people flying the drone with much older phones so why can't I with my phone???
2021-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules